Other Which second ski for friends?

Its all about the surf!
I just picked up a 1994 SuperJet.

In this situation, what ski would you want, and why?

Since you already decided to take the Square route as your new ski your best bet would be to get another one. Like already mentioned, if it comes down to it, you can swap parts from Ski B to keep ski A running. And don't worry about liking the feel of your old ski, you'll forget that soon enough. As for your friends, beggars cant be choosers, your ski-less friends will be happy enough to ride what ever you provide for them

I let everyone ride my 90' SJ that wants to try it. Bought it for 500 and added a 08' impeller,intake grate and blowsion pump cone. Everyone loves it and if someone :):):):)s it up, I wont be out much $$$. I had a 550sx for people to ride and all my buddies love the superjet compared to it

Last edited:
I purchased a 650sx for my first ski, had minor issues but fixed it up and recently turfed it and got it painted, got myself a 94 sj at the beginning of this season. The 650sx is a perfect ski for beginners, has a good size tray, its pretty stable, and has enough power for beginners to have a fun time once they can stand up. I highly recommend them if your plan is to have a stand up as a loaner ski, typically very inexpensive to pick one up.

King Kang

Never enough tray time...
Ok, call me crazy, but I've always thought that a Seadoo 3D with the 787 motor would make an ideal "buddy ski." Though I've never ridden one, they certainly look easy to ride.

From what I've read:

1. Decent top speed
2. Easier to ride than a standup
3. The earlier models are pretty inexpensive
4. The 787 is somewhat reliable
5. When you're buddy gets tired, he has a seat where he can relax

Sometimes I just get tired of having to teach a buddy how to ride my buddy ski, and honestly, some people just can't learn to do it before they run out of patience or stamina. However, I'd like to ride one before making an honest recommendation, but I don't even know anyone that owns one.

So...I'm headed to look at the 650 after work today. I'll report back with pics if I get it.

I'd love to get another SJ, but I'm not really willing to spend quite that much for a second semi-beater ski.

650 sn is a solid investment that will be useful for years...

I should have been more specific. I meant I was going to check out a 650sx. Anyway, I picked up what has to be the cleanest 650sx left. It's damn nice. Hull only with title.

After that I drove to another guys house and bought his 1992 yamaha vxr for $150. Good comp. Prob needs carb cleaned as far as I can tell...

Tomorrow....ill get the rhaas products kit to mate the two.

Last edited:
I ran into a minor snag.

I stripped the 1992 VXR is a matter of maybe an hour. I tore through that thing like a raccoon. There is nothing left. Anyway, I wanted to take the stupid oil pump off the 6m6, and when I did some "crud" flaked out. Damn. So I removed the whole FW cover and found the FW to be all white with corrosion and a general bunch of brown/black flakey junk in there under the cover. I want to pull the FW to clean out the stator and all, but it's stuck on there and doesn't want to budge.

Soooo...I went ahead and ordered the Cold Fusion FW lock from JetManiac, along with the oil pump delete kit, and a new gasket. Also picked up a carb rebuild kit from my local shop (who, btw, have no idea what a flywheel lock is, or why on earth you might need one). I figured the lock would help with the coupler swap, which will take place in a week or so.

That's about it. I'm still collecting parts for a Kawi 650 motor, but I have this 6m6 just sitting here will full electronics so I figured why not? This may be an awful idea. We'll see.

Also, at first I was concerned with the whole motor maybe having been full of water, but with the plugs out the crank spins butter smooth, save for the case compression of course. I guess I should probably get the manifolds off and have a look inside.

ProSouth

Seriously, Don't be a dick.
generally, a local shop won't use a flywheel lock. i don't but its just personal reference. if you're using wrenches then i could see it, but i just use air tools and a flywheel puller. good luck with your swap

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
The flywheel lock is good investment you won't regret. I used rope down the cylinder for years before I finally purchased the piston stops you run down the spark plug hole. Both work decent enough but if you have a particularly stuck flywheel, the flywheel lock is a much better way to go with far less risk to other components. I finally broke down and bought the flywheel lock about a year ago and haven't even had a chance to use it yet.

Top Bottom