Which ski after the JS?

Not entirely sure where to ask this, but I figured here is a good place since you guys have direct knowledge of how the older JS ski's ride compared to newer skis.

I'm thinking of getting a newer ski (but keeping my JS-440). My budget is $1000-$2000.

With this budget what would your next ski be? I've seem some JS-550SX's for $1000 with a trailer, but I think I might like to try a newer hull and more power. I see some 701 superjets in my price range just under $2000.

You should be able to pick up a Super Jet square nose within you price range. If it is a 650 stock closer to $1,000. Now is the time to be a buyer.

"Only two replies say superjet and you are still looking at the 550... =/"

Just haven't found one yet... was considering a 550sx just because it's small and I can handle it myself without a trailer. I throw my 440 in the back of my SUV.

Still looking for a superjet ...

Unless your 200+ a 550 SX would be a blast, depending on how mechanically savvy you are I would do a 750 swap into a JS hull. I'm 135 pounds and super Jets just feel a little too heavy for me. 750 JS = plenty of power and lots of flatwater fun.

I'm 215, and losing weight (I was 228 when I got my ski). I ride a JS-440 now and to be honest I have no problem with it at all. I'm not hurting for power or anything, and I do enjoy the small JS ski. Just kinda wondered if it is worth it to move up to a larger ski... more fun or less fun?

I like being able to throw the ski in the back of my SUV and drop it in the water by myself... and then lift it back in by myself. Won't be able to do that with a SJ I don't think. Living the JS-440 into my car is just at the edge of my comfort level.

That's why I was considering a 550SX. But, if the super jets are really a lot more fun then I'll go that route and get a trailer.

Last edited:
I Started on a js 550 swapped in a 650 and it was a fun fast ski that had fair bottom end I bought a stock 91 superjet with a 650 in it. It had a skat prop riva intake grate and ride plate and I havent looked back. I would still own a js/sx ski just for a spare and friends to ride. But you WILL NEVER have the bottom end punch from the js/sx pump that you can get from a yamaha pump. Spend the money on the superjet you would have spent modding the kawi ski and you will be happier down the road. Plus resale will be higher. As for loading and un loading buy/build a hitch hualer I have one and it works great for either ski.

I Also have a 92 750 sx and my buddy has a sxi and they are pigggggggss. Good for smooth riding and some carving ,but dosnt jump waves like the superjet hull it just cuts through them. and they are even heavier.

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
If you like the lightweight of the 550, but want more power for your own ride, get an FX1. You can probably find one right at the top of your range.

an fx-1 is a super fun ski! hold out and get one of those for sure! its much smaller and more nimble than the superjets. Coming from your 550, i think you will like it a lot more than a square nose.

To bad your not closer to Indiana I've got a 92 Sj stock 650 but I have a 701 to go with it I'd sell for $1500 so you should be able to find something similar. I would hold out for a Sj IMO all around better then anything you have mentioned. I would try a ride a few different skis and go from there. Before I got my Sj I had a 750sx and loved it until I rode a Sj and looking back at the 750 I will never buy one again but that's just me

a REED motor 550sx with an a new impeller will completely blow your 440 out of the water in every way.They will keep up with a 650 superjet and will be half the price.

However, a superjet is a ski that has infinite upgrade potential whereas a 550sx is about topping out in the js game.

Top Bottom