Who had the Blue/White Blaster from TX/FL?

Zero Client

BeerrroooOOOT!!!
Hey guys,

Im taking a long shot here. I'm wondering who sold me this Blue/White WB1 at Daytona back in January. I forget the fellow's name and handle, but I wanted to connect. He sold me a mostly empty WB1 hull with the gas tank, a WB1 waterbox, Midshaft and driveshaft, and half of the pump, a ProTec ride plate, and a Protec Pipe (for a superjet) all together. The hull had no vin/reg and was in dire need of a restoration - which I've just completed. It seemed the hull was previously air-brushed blue.

The story goes, he (former owner) brought the hull/ski to Daytona, but then bought another ski at Daytona and could not take this one home with him - hence he sold it to me. I'm just curious as to who - so that I can share what I did to it over the winter.

I first started with stripping the hull down to the fiberglass top - and bottom. I used Aircraft Fiberglass stripper to do so. All body pieces and pannels were stripped. I fixed with fiberglass cloth and filler a large 4" hole in the top-hood piece of the ski, and also fiber-filled the bond-rail in the mid-right side where the hull had obvious leaking. I decided NOT to use the WB1 waterbox, and instead prepped the hull for a WaveRaider 701 rear waterbox. What a pita removing the foam was. I also re-routed the exhaust to the other side of the hull - so fiberglassed the old exhaust port and cut a new one on the right side.

The detail was in the sanding of all the caps and pieces that also attach secondly to the hull - like the batter box, gas cap etc. I sanded everything smooth with 80/100/150/220/300/400 and then primered with PPG/OMNI automotive paint (3 coats). Back-sanded with 300/400 and then painted with Chrysler 9700 / DX8/PX8 Single stage 2-part paint using a 4:2:0.5 mix of Paint:Reducer:Hardener. It was the first time ever I used an air-brush to paint and I did it just in my back-yard using a 10CFM air compressor on a borrowed air-gun. The paints and supplies were about $200. The result was an incredible 1-foot paint job for my first time ever!

Assembly started with the hood seal and hood. Then I moved on to the gas tank and gas cap, followed by midshaft, pump, and engine. It all went together faster than the body work to be honest.

I robbed a lot of parts from my 701-WaveRaider including the trim nozzle (which I fitted to the WB1 with a MountainBike brake lever, so my WB1 has some trim), the waterbox, exhaust exit, parts of the pump, steering cable, throttle cable, start/stop switch...

...and the ENGINE...

This WaveRaider 701 came to be as a 62T 717 engine with cylender ported by Riva back ~15 years ago. I fitted an ADA girdled head with 35cc domes to get 170psi compression (The 62t was ported and likely has top-end ports for flow and lower compression). The pump was tapped for dual cooling, and the cooling lines are running as follows:

2 from the pump both into the exhaust manifold.
1 Front cyl running straight over-board
1 Rear cyl running to the back of the pipe
from the front of the pipe - T split to over-board, then 2mm restriction to the pipe's stinger.

I'm still working out if this is the best configuration - and am thinking of running TRIPLE cooling someday...

The E-Box had a Riva/Advent CDI which I am told is better-than an MSD Enhancer in terms of spark and timing. The carbs were stock but re-jetted Mikuni 38s but with Ocean-Pro FAs and primer. So far my jetting is settled at the following:

75p
137.5m
1.5ns
95g spring
.75turn on the low
1 turn on the high

The ski is a BLAST. I took it on the water a couple times WITHOUT A SEAT, as the Superfly B1 seat took awhile to ship from Australia. The ski is FAST, but is lacking out-of-the hole likely due to some tuning and the top-end ported 62T motor, the SkatTrak 14/18 prop, and no nozzle boring.

Pics coming in a moment!

Last edited:

todc207

Drama diffuser
What are your thoughts on the seat? I seem to have bruises from the stock seat and like how small that one is but it looks really hard on the knees? Ive considered just making a block off plate and running no seat lol

Top Bottom