Who in the hell would put this motor together???

Bought a 1990 sj with a "62t/61x" 701 in it. Well I get to looking and the cases are stamped 61x and th cylinder is stamped 62t lol. Could this possibly be a factory motor with a true 62t/61x? Or is the bottom end really a 61x and the top end really a 62t.....kind of disappointed. So if I actually have the real 61x top end and the 62t bottom end. Let me know and make my day. I wouldn't think they'd be stamped backwards but maybe I guess. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20140302_201210.jpg
    20140302_201210.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 20140302_200932.jpg
    20140302_200932.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 141

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
Yep, most likely a 61x bottom end then. The 62t61x motors came with dual carbs.

Someone might of blow up the older cylinder and just needed something to put on there. The 62t cylinders are a lot cheaper then 61x ones. I don't think they ever built a 61x62t motor from the factory

Dmac80sc

Site Supporter
Why? IT is an ok set up for a stock motor. It might be lacking bottom end a little, but it is ok to run. New seals and gaskets if you do a swap.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Someone put that together.

I have run one like that before with a cheater pipe and a high compression head. Made plenty of power and was fun to ride. Sure the port timing isn't perfect for our needs but its not the worst thing in the world. I'd just keep running it as is.

Someone put that together.

I have run one like that before with a cheater pipe and a high compression head. Made plenty of power and was fun to ride. Sure the port timing isn't perfect for our needs but its not the worst thing in the world. I'd just keep running it as is.
Agreed, I had two like new engines once, a full 62t and a full 61x. I swapped top ends and made both combos. The 61x bottom 62t top went into a square nose with a pipe, head and prop and was a great little engine!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Don't teat it apart until you have a chance to ride an try it out. You may be surprised. Like addict said. Was a very fun engine in his square. I would do it again if I needed to.

Blue

Judging your cheapness
I have had a couple people use the setup before as their parts were destroyed and it's all they had available. I dont recommend it but it does run. But really its the worst of both worlds. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

For you guys that like these....are you running stock cylinders or are they decked with custom domes? I have ridden them decked w custom domes and they are real nice!

I had stock and HATED it for Lake Erie...it was fast though!!

Well i will ride it and see what it has to say about my opinion of it lol. Hopefully it surprises me, it has a protec head and a coffman sizzler. Hopefully it'll have more power than my rock stock 61x top end 62t bottom end 2010 sj. I also had thoughts of getting a 62t case for the square, them swapping the top ends. The 2010 is more of a race ski anyways. And the squarenose will be my freestyle ski. Or I may get the 62t cylinder bored and ported by chuck at cpt.

Top Bottom