Freestyle Who wants actual dyno numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raytherace

Canadian Brapp Dealer
IMO, I think Torque specs is more important than HP

Art ever told me a nice phrases " Since we are building this for freestyle and not top end we have to be conservative with our rpm because we like acceleration over high horsepower "

Its maybe why freestyle engine builder dont test their engine for HP, because they dont care about it !!

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
IMO, I think Torque specs is more important than HP

Art ever told me a nice phrases " Since we are building this for freestyle and not top end we have to be conservative with our rpm because we like acceleration over high horsepower "

Its maybe why freestyle engine builder dont test their engine for HP, because they dont care about it !!
dyno's measure touque not HP. HP is calculated. HP= (torque X RPM)/5252

dyno show torque..... the dyno has a water brake. while what you say is a valid point, but you don't have to load the engine until a certain rpm. regardless. it will be the controlled test with no variances.

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
HP numbers dont really mean much to me, it really comes down to how the motor pulls, where the power comes on, how the motor pulls up in the higher RPM's... I've rode big CC motors that sucked, Rode small motors that ripped for the size, also rode big cc motors that will hurt you....

I think once a ski is together PICS of the ski riding and the height the ski gets are worth more than Dyno numbers...

i can see a point with that. but.... this will show you exactly what you want to know. tq, hp, acceleration of the engine. if you have motor company A telling you their motor is the shiznit and while they may have a package out that is awesome, but if you can do with with motor company b that is cheaper and has a motor that doesn't need an extra 2k rpms to start making power. wouldn't you want motor b to start with?

It would be nice to have some sort of reference on the actual power output. Be interesting to see the spread between ported standard bore, BB, strokers, and baby PV motors.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
HP numbers dont really mean much to me, it really comes down to how the motor pulls, where the power comes on, how the motor pulls up in the higher RPM's... I've rode big CC motors that sucked, Rode small motors that ripped for the size, also rode big cc motors that will hurt you....

I think once a ski is together PICS of the ski riding and the height the ski gets are worth more than Dyno numbers...

I agree with what you're saying. Peak numbers don't mean much.

I like a system that calculates the area under the curve, it's a better real world representation. Some people average the power in a certain range, some add up the power every 100 rpm. I don't know of an accepted system for measuring power under the curve but which ever version is used it's a better picture of how a motor will pull when you're riding it.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
You just outed yourself even further, Mister.

To contribute: Nice idea. Doubt it will happen (builders bringing motors)

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
if that ends up being the case. i could remind them of locals willing to run their personal motors. how bad do you think that could turn out?

I think it would be a better real world test anyways, instead of letting the builders prepare a "test motor" that may not be exactly what a customer would get.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Strap it to the trailer and measure the flow and PSI out of the pump. That's how we test the fire engines, less the trailer part. heh.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Pitot gauges are used to measure water flow, like pressures from hydrants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube
http://www.quickresponsefiresupply.com/fire-hydrant-pitot-tube-kit-gauge

Then there are pressure gauges. A 85mm or so aluminum tube tapped with a pressure gauge strapped to the nozzle would give you nozzle pressures.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=q07NTpfUEY6btweGvoxu&ved=0CJYBEPMCMAE#

Course, you would need something that would measure the kinds of pressures the skis produce. We only pump out engines as high as 200psi or so.

In any case. A dyno would be nice, but pressure gauges combined with a tach would give the average Joe a way to compare. I don't care enough to actually do it, but it would be something that would be transfered from ski to ski. Pitot gauges for example can just be held by hand and stuck into the flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom