Other Wide Rail - SURF RAIL - kit

Just surveying to find out how many of you would be interested in a WIDE RAIL set up?

I have a product that I put on my personal ski about a year ago and it makes the ski handle awesome!

I decided to try this INSTEAD of running tubbies.

Another company sells a rail kit for $140 + shipping. Not really sure exactly how their kit works as the pictures and description don't give much detail.

The idea behind mine are to extend each side, make the ski more stable, can be used instead of tubbies, and most importantly... cost LESS!!!!

I want them to be affordable for everyone.

On my ski, my rails are now 2" wide on each side. A HUGE improvement from what it used to be.

If there is some interest in them, then I will post them up for sale.

Thoughs?????

Thanx-

Last edited:

swapmeet

Brotastic
I've been discussing/ promoting this for some time. I would love to try these out on a FX1, as the stock bond rails are half the width of a SJ.

I'd be intrested.

Pics of them installed on my ski:

Ski still looks stock until you get up closer to them. They tuck under the front nose piece and the rear corner piece.

I can pin it at the river, take my hands of the bars and the thing just glides straight with hardly any wobble at all.

Attachments

• SJrail9.jpg
    SJrail9.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 160
  • SJrail10.jpg
    SJrail10.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 161
  • SJrail11.jpg
    SJrail11.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
I tried to get people interested in my kit I have, I had one person wanting them and that's it. To make them surf strong you need it to be very thick, and it take some time to make them. But I can always make them if needed, still have the molds, Probably this winter. Wide rails make a huge improvement for sure.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343666967.314957.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1343666997.829827.jpg

The idea behind this kit is to increase stability, but keep them CHEAP! $150 for rails is pretty steep...

These rails will need to be drilled and trimmed just a bit to fit the way mine do. They will be 7' long. (Mine are right at 6' 7" long after trimming) After drilling the holes, they will bolt right to the rail where the stock rail used to.

I used some adhesive on the back side of mine, then ran the bolts through. Might be a bit of overkill, but it works great.

Now here's the big question... Would you guys want the stainless hardware provided with the rails or would you be ok with buying hardware locally?

Like I mentioned, I want to keep the cost down and make them affordable for everyone. Adding the SS hardware will bump it up a bit.

Without hardware, I'm estimating being able to get them out to those who are interested for around $45 + shipping. (I'll have to see how I can ship them since they are so long)
Does that sound like a reasonable price to you guys?

Kny21 - I will post pics soon of the install on my ski and you can see all sides.

Sounds like a Crab-rail mod then... just material on the outside vertical part of the rail to make it wider?

What material is it outta?

Mr Bojangles

Lord of the Dance
Mine are mounted to the top, and I have 8 SS bolts holding them on. Including the bolts could go either way. I am using SS machine screws that are counter sunk so they can lay fat on the top and there wont be a hump with the turf, and cap nuts on the bottom so I don't get snagged. It cost a bit more, but it was nicer. You could always just pre drill the holes and counter sink them, and leave it up to whoever buys them. I used silicon at first with the bolts when I was testing, but when I was happy, I used some epoxy with cabosil, just like you were putting on footholds

The main reason I wouldn't pre drill the holes is because I've noticed that sometimes the holes are different on different skis. Sometimes they are worn in the original l spots so people drill new ones.

They are made out of a special high density plastic material. They mount to the side of the rails where the stock rails would normally be. If you really wanted to get crazy, you could always reattach the stock rails as well for about another 1/2 - 5/8 of width.

I should have a few sets ready to go by this weekend!

lets see some pics of them from underneath and a set uninstalled. I am going to be returfing my rails this winter, might have to try these.

Top Bottom