Will this motor fit

brett

-------------
Looks like one of them Sulzers for ship duty

right on

I bet the hp isn't quite as impressive as the torque... Is it really a 2 stroke though? I thought those were all diesels.

two stroke diesels are a little different than our two stroke engines...they still have an exhaust valve and the fuel isnt used to lubricate the bottom end. i recently saw a boat with a detroit 6-71 deisel and the guy said it was a 2 stroke... i thought he was nuts. but nope.
heres a link to how they work http://auto.howstuffworks.com/diesel-two-stroke1.htm
learn somethin every day i suppose:Banane19:

Looks like something for a tanker.

My Dad used to work on a bunch of freight ships and for cunard cruise lines on ships like the princess and queen elizabeth II. The cruise ships used several Warsila diesels at over 200 tons tons a pop with I think either 14 or 15 cylinders? These are V style engines whereas the huge tanker engines are all inline.

The cargo ships use engines like the one pictured above. He told me the cylinders on the one container ships he worked on were over 3 foot in diameter. I'm pretty sure he said it was a 6 cylinder and churned out almost 50,000 hp at about 100 RPM. Some are twice that size though. Massive ships and the funny part is for such a big ship there's usually only ten people or so on board.

Absolutely insane stuff.

Last edited:

teton

tetongravity.com
the turbo alone is the size of a car! whats it for?

the turbo is actually a blower, because there is oil in the crankcases, the blower is required to get them started....they have a crazy long working life b/c of the low piston speeds....

imagine how big/heavy it would be to get the same power out of a 4-stroke....

it always boggles my mind how they can manufacture something so huge, and still turn a profit...how do you machine a crank like that!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom