SX/SXi/SXi Pro winter progress

I finished the DuPont bed armor last night, the big chunks rub off when its dry and leaves a decently smooth finish but I wouldnt buy this crap again. I would spring for Line-x or stick to paint and dodge the rocks lol.
I dont know how much it matters but I couldnt bring myself to put the textured paint in the pump inlet so after I filled in the pump shoe seams I just rattle canned it, looks pretty good.

a31ce4fd.jpg
ac169ce5.jpg
879eabbc.jpg

Just a fyi on the weight, I weighed it last night and with a quart of bed liner on it I only added about 1lb, maybe 1.5lbs. I have the hood down to 10lbs now but still have to reinforce it and add the breather tubes.

You filled the pump shoe with epoxy? I have heard of doing this but I dont get it I guess? Why and how? haha

Yes, I filled it with epoxy. I cost about 20 bucks for a large tube of west system epoxy compared to 50 bucks for R&D pump stuffers. The point is to remove the air pocket that will cause cavitation in the pump.

you used a very textured paint on the bottom of the hull? wont that create drag?

It will cause some drag but shouldnt be that noticeable with freestyle type riding. My main goal was to put a protective coating that will stand up to the abuse of riding in shallow water and beaching on rocks at times. not to mention it only cost $40 unlike my $500 paint job I had done last season that looked like crap quickly.

finished up the hull with a little bling, Its starting to come together again.
41cb8d1d.jpg
cd805740.jpg

It will cause some drag but shouldnt be that noticeable with freestyle type riding. My main goal was to put a protective coating that will stand up to the abuse of riding in shallow water and beaching on rocks at times. not to mention it only cost $40 unlike my $500 paint job I had done last season that looked like crap quickly.

finished up the hull with a little bling, Its starting to come together again.
41cb8d1d.jpg
cd805740.jpg

That looks awesome ! Where did you pick up the cap ?

Whats the trick to removing the stock cap? With the screws out mine seems stuck ?? Is it silicon'd in in ?

That is the stock cap, I had drilled and tapped about 9 holes in it from different exhaust nozzles I had on it before. I just used epoxy to fill them and a build up primer to smooth it out and rattle canned it. I found some pearl green that matches awesome from a hobby shop.

The cap should just pull out after the screws are out, its sealed to the hull and to the exhaust pipe. If you pull it out make sure you use sealer between the cap and seal, the seal and the hull and the flanged area of the cap where it slips over the exhaust pipe.

Yes but the cool thing is that you can charge people to sand their docks at the lake. It would like a 7 foot long belt sander.

Seriously though, I was like wtf?:eek5: That visible texture made me LOL.

Ive ridden a SXR with this type of coating and could not feel any change in the ride. It might shave 1 or 2 mph off the top end but who cares.

Took a idea from another riders build thread and used bilgekoat on the inside, looks good but man that stuff stinks lol
67a60ebc.jpg

Also finished gutting the hood, its less than 10 lbs now. Started glassing it back up for strength last night...
d6581816.jpg

Looks great , love the bilge coat .

I am slowing down - work and school three nights a week has been killing me . Hope to make some progress this weekend !

I hear that, I have been trying to get this thing done quickly. I have a baby due in april but my first came a month early so I'm thinking this one might too. I really want to have this done before he gets here. As it is now I only have time to work on it after my little guy goes to sleep, I can only imagine what its going to be like with two little ones in the house lol. Im kinda stuck now waiting on pump parts and my flywheel to come back from repairs.

fbaa3972.jpg

might look silly to some people but to the guy who mounted bilge outlets before he bought a FP pipe, this is the shizz. They thread onto the bilge outlet threads perfectly and the hose is a snug fit. Picke them up at ace hardware. 3/4-1/2 adapter.

Looks great Aaron! I Quess you finally got the impeller, your going to love the hookup with all that you have done.

Top Bottom