would cracked or weak reeds make a motor lean?

i guess ill give some new ones a try. Im almost ready to just buy a new motor! Cant figure this friggin thing out!

norcal ex

X-H2
my stance on the issue is that the reeds can not atomize the fuel so it is just poured into the engine which makes it look like it is running rich but the pulse line is making it put less fuel in it then it would normally have.

hence one of the reasons there is no bottom end.. the pulse signal is so weak it doesn't start pulsing slightly until the higher RPMs

What happens with a chip reed is that the carb will pick up a dose of fuel as the air passes the low speed circuit and it will pick another one when the reed blows it back up and another one again as the air enters the case. The pulse line just actuates the fuel pump .It is the carbs that actually meters the fuel. A blown through reed as is seen with a big piece gone would cause pulse problems.

750SX

DO IT
my stance on the issue is that the reeds can not atomize the fuel so it is just poured into the engine which makes it look like it is running rich but the pulse line is making it put less fuel in it then it would normally have.

hence one of the reasons there is no bottom end.. the pulse signal is so weak it doesn't start pulsing slightly until the higher RPMs

atomization happens in the carbs not the reeds. Pulse signal is created for pressure differences in the engine case. Reeds do not effect this.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
The reeds let air/fuel in and don't let it out, acting as intake valves. That's all reeds do.

Last edited:
tried many different jets already even a different set of carbs w fatter jets. changed my cdi, and put my motor in my brothers ski to eliminate fuel lines that are bad. It ran just as lean in his ski. The motor has new seals in it and the case has been pressure tested/ no leaks. And the motor is pissing out water good! Getting ready to tear it apart and build it up with more H.P.

wsuwrhr

Purveyor of the Biggest Brapp
While I would be the wrong guy to steer you away from an engine build, it may not solve your problems and may make a "lean" condition worse, or worse than that, damage your new engine.

Brian

tried many different jets already even a different set of carbs w fatter jets. changed my cdi, and put my motor in my brothers ski to eliminate fuel lines that are bad. It ran just as lean in his ski. The motor has new seals in it and the case has been pressure tested/ no leaks. And the motor is pissing out water good! Getting ready to tear it apart and build it up with more H.P.

im running stock motor stock head with limited b pipe. and right now im running 140 main and 70 pilot. About to run 147 main and 72.5 pilot and see what happens. Stock cdi is back in the ski. I had msd enhancer in it didnt know if that was the prob. but apparently not. cranking compression on my ski is 150 psi. it has good response and no bawgs at all. just lean!!!!!!

Top Bottom