Would you sand & re-coat this hull? *pics

2006superjet

just one more part....
pics

got the finish gel coat from west marine put in some hardener and brushed it on a clean roughed up bottom stuffs thick and filed in all the gouges and scratches so far 4 on and off loads in the back of carpeted truck and 10 or so pull ups on the sandy rocky river. imo worth it,

Attachments

• IMG01526.jpg
    IMG01526.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG01561.jpg
    IMG01561.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 29

2006superjet

just one more part....
just

the one its a red can deal
Finish Gel Coat - Waxed Non-Lam, Pint, White 3745478 105175 Only $34.99 USD

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...=true&storeNum=95&subdeptNum=673&classNum=673

when you do it. it has to dry and you could use a pva mold release or somthing or so what i did just leave it in the sun for 4 hrs or so. it doesnt adhear to epoxy resin though i did some touchup around the tubbies and it didnt dry around there, the west stuff is good use the whold thing sides and bottom filled up used all the hardener.
good luck. lots of pics.

let me know if you need anyhelp:261:

id check out pwctoday and see what the honda guys are doing to keep their hulls pristine.

j/k... id run it. sand it and paint it if it bothers you, but i can tell you, first hand, that a nice smooth and shiny hull handles way crappier than when its "loved", like yours is.

After sanding my hull i realized getting all the paint off was going to be a PITA. so i just roughed it up good all over, mixed up some resin, coated it all over the hull. Now im waiting for it to dry so i can re-sand and spray the appliance paint on it. Probably wont last very long, but it only cost me about $10.
So how dumb was this? will the resin stay bonded to the hull?

Last edited:
leave it...this is not a project you start in spring!

you should have been working on this all winter..............its NORMAL! and the glass isnt goinmg to rot

I agree. had a broken fourwheeler and dirtbike to work on the past few months... plus, nothing is more motivating then a couple 80 degree days.

but now that i have the resin on it, im gonna go ahead and do a quick spray job on it.

I wouldve never guessed a scratched up hull would handle better than a nice smooth one..

I agree. had a broken fourwheeler and dirtbike to work on the past few months... plus, nothing is more motivating then a couple 80 degree days.

but now that i have the resin on it, im gonna go ahead and do a quick spray job on it.

I wouldve never guessed a scratched up hull would handle better than a nice smooth one..[/quote]

ab-so-lutly! water flows smoother and faster over a pourous/rough surface.....

wax the bottom and it will be noticablly more squirlly (sp?)....

when you hear about racers "trueing" their hulls they are actually sanding them making them nice and rough, but the key is the sand strokes are all uniform down the length of the ski...

spray bomb it and clean it up, but dont get yourself into a huge project making uncessary gelcoat repairs....

wow, that's wierd. water flowing faster over a rough surface? I could understand more hookup/traction. but your saying a rough bottom is actually faster top speed too??

Top Bottom