WTF Engine wont start!

If you hear a click when you press start, the start/stop switch is fine.
First, make sure that the black cable going from the negative terminal of the battery is fastened securely to the batter terminal and to the back end of the starter.
If you have a voltmeter/DMM, measure the resistance from the negative battery terminal to the engine block.
After all that checks out, I would open up the ebox, disconnect the red cable going to the starter from the relay, and briefly touch that cable directly to the positive terminal of the battery. If the starter doesn't turn that way, you have a bad starter.

How would a starter go bad randomly though..... all it did was sit for maybe a month or two with out being started... plus it is an 2007 SJ rather new! I hope thats not the case!

Waternut

Customizing addict
Most of us aren't saying your starter went bad...we're saying your wiring to the starter is bad. Have you checked all the connections yet? That especially means includes the ones on the starter itself that are hard to get to.

I look into the wiring one of these up coming weekends...luckily I live in the the NE where I stopped riding about a month ago so I have plenty of time do crap like this. What is a Solenoid once again? And how would wiring go bad after not using it for about a month? The ski is practically new!

I was just googling some stuff and ran across someone having the same problem.... it sound like the "Bendix" gear sometimes (if not ran frequently) might stick or rust slightly... so how do I get to this to take a look?

If your bendix were the problem, you starter would at least spin.

Ok, So I should open up the black box and make sure all of my connections are good right? (I just do not understand why they would be bad for an 07 SJ)....Also, Is the only way to open that box is from the two bolts in the tray?

Thanks and keep the help coming, ill need it!

I would suggest trying people's suggestions and not rebutt them. The ebox is held together by a handful of screws, but has to be dismounted before disassembly.

All of the suggestions in this thread will lead you to your problem. I had a solenoid clicking but it was still bad. You will more than likely find your problem to be connection/wiring, solenoid or starter. Doesn't matter age of anything, things break.

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
I would suggest trying people's suggestions and not rebutt them. The ebox is held together by a handful of screws, but has to be dismounted before disassembly.

All of the suggestions in this thread will lead you to your problem. I had a solenoid clicking but it was still bad. You will more than likely find your problem to be connection/wiring, solenoid or starter. Doesn't matter age of anything, things break.

Me too. I vote solenoid.

every time i've had something go out was when it sat for a while. I've had this happen before and once it was a bad ground to the battery and another time it was the starter.

every time i've had something go out was when it sat for a while. I've had this happen before and once it was a bad ground to the battery and another time it was the starter.

Where exactly is the ground going to the battery located? And what would be the problem with it? Rusted or something?

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Measure resistance from negative battery terminal to engine block. (This checks the ground)
If you measure any appreciable resistance, check if the negative cable is bolted down good.
If it is, remove it and measure the resistance of the cable. If it's bad, replace it.
I believe this was already suggested to you a few posts up.

Last edited:

cmeripper26

Ripper26
Does either of the batteries measure 12.6v or over? I would check this first. If the voltage is not measuring up to 12.6v then just give it a charge. But most times the ski engine will fire unless the battery is considerably lower than 12.6v. Then i would move on to cleaning the positve and negative terminals on the battery as well as all wire connecting points and even look at the starter terminals also. Good luck with the fix. If none of these are the problem then u gotta check all the wires from the solenoind to starter and battery. This is the simple fix it may be. If it aint any of these then u gotta crack into the e-box...fun fun!

LBE

Eddie Would Go.
How would a starter go bad randomly though.....

Randomly, HAHA! :smashfreakB:
It is a 2 year old electrical part that regularly gets wet.
Something randomly breaking is like something spontaneously combusting.
Parts wear out, things go bad, nothing on a ski will last forever.

D-Roc

I forgot!
especially in saltwater, a little saltwater in the starter motor sitting for a month can lock it up. mine did after daytona. as a newbie it can be a little intimidating. if you follow the steps suggested, starting with the simple easy ones and work into the others you can one by one check off the components or faults of your starting system. it is pretty simple once you do it a few times.

Top Bottom