x-2 sponson and bottom fill install.

tom21

havin fun
predrill holes for sponsons, mix up some thickened epoxy and smear on like pnut butter. install and wipe away excess/ fill any small voids where the part is not flush(or you can spend a few more minutes and sand it perfect).

by the way these are one of the very first sets I made and are not what I send out, and I want to add that I use a piece of rubber hose to wedge between the bondline and sponson on the very end as a screw would go into the footwell.

make sure you use short stainless screws on the bottom or it may come thru in the pocket. after everything cures you can cut off the extra inside. just do it slowly so you don't heat it up and burn the hull.

Attachments

• CIMG0038 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0038 (Small).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 79
  • CIMG0039 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0039 (Small).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 97
  • CIMG0040 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0040 (Small).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 90
  • CIMG0037 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0037 (Small).jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 92

tom21

havin fun
next up is applying the thickened epoxy to the bottom fill. I made this first one what I considered to be thick enough,but a few guys felt the need to tell me how in the past people had poked holes. so I doubled up on the first set for sale. it is also filled with flotation foam so it shouldn't hold much water if any. patch it up an keep riding.

anyway I am using a thin version and am not glassing them in just so I can see if it will stay put. I used a ratchet strap to go from the front to rear and this seems to hold the part pretty well everywhere but the rear and the little jog in the middle.

so one strap with a small block of wood for the inside jog, and one strap over a block of foam that resident genius Mr Strut came up with. he is also the one doing nearly all the work on the install especially the hour of sanding to get the foam right and the shape to fit. secretly I think he loves to sweat and itch- I mean why else would anyone do this stuff?
Back to it... the last shots show how the lines follow the original hull lines and kinda try to give you some perspective of how the hull is more like a sxr or sj style front.

Ride/abuse report should be coming soon. If it still runs, its been upside down being used to make molds from for almost 2 years.

Attachments

• CIMG0045 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0045 (Small).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 75
  • CIMG0061 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0061 (Small).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 99
  • CIMG0049 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0049 (Small).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 119
  • CIMG0048 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0048 (Small).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 87
  • CIMG0047 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0047 (Small).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 95
  • CIMG0046 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0046 (Small).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 96
  • CIMG0044 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0044 (Small).jpg
    59 KB · Views: 66
  • CIMG0043 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0043 (Small).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 69
  • CIMG0042 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0042 (Small).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 78
  • CIMG0041 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0041 (Small).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 79

tom21

havin fun
last shots

Attachments

• CIMG0062 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0062 (Small).jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 121
  • CIMG0063 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0063 (Small).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 381
  • CIMG0064 (Small).jpg
    CIMG0064 (Small).jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 80

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
I rode an X2 with just the fill outs and I did not like the feel of it. Seemed it it splashed alot more than stock too. Now I wonder if combined with the tubbies it would be better....

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
I rode an X2 with just the fill outs and I did not like the feel of it. Seemed it it splashed alot more than stock too. Now I wonder if combined with the tubbies it would be better....

I have tubbies and the fill. I didn't think it splashed any more that stock.

Either way, go buy a couch if you don't like splash. My fill with Tom's Tubbies is a smooth ride and very stable. The handling compared to stock is so much better it's a joke. It's worth any extra splash if you by chance get some.

Then again, my nose fill may just be Superior to Tom's! =)

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I will probably go with Tom's nose fill and tubbies on my next project,I filled the last one with foam and glassed over it,I also made my own tubbies,it makes a huge difference but damn its a lot of work!

3wheelerdude

Talk less, Ride more!
I have tubbies and the fill. I didn't think it splashed any more that stock.

Either way, go buy a couch if you don't like splash. My fill with Tom's Tubbies is a smooth ride and very stable. The handling compared to stock is so much better it's a joke. It's worth any extra splash if you by chance get some.

Then again, my nose fill may just be Superior to Tom's! =)

When I say SPLASH, I mean I was getting a cup full of water in my eyes every 5 seconds and I am 6'2. And I wear a helmet.
Not that it matters because I did not like the feel of the ride anyway. This was on an X2 with no Dcut plate and no trim lever, so maybe it was keeping the nose down so much.....

If you knew me, you would not suggest a sitdown.

Diceman

Bigger..Better..Faster
When I say SPLASH, I mean I was getting a cup full of water in my eyes every 5 seconds and I am 6'2. And I wear a helmet.
Not that it matters because I did not like the feel of the ride anyway. This was on an X2 with no Dcut plate and no trim lever, so maybe it was keeping the nose down so much.....

If you knew me, you would not suggest a sitdown.

^^^Silly sit-down rider :wiggle:

tom21

havin fun
making digs is no help. I would rather find out why his hull or friends is giving him issues and try to fix it. at least he took the highroad.

You guys just have to understand that riders outside of our group are not really used to the sarcasm at the level we keep it at. besides you dorks ride less than me and I barely ride at all.:fart:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
if there is a splash problem I'd look at Trinity's splash guard on his new hull for inspiration.

That said, I didn't see a splash problem on the one I rode.

Last edited:

#ZERO

Beach Bum
The splash problem must be real noticeable if you live in Canada and the water is real cold.

Most people in southern states don't mine the occasional spray to keep you cool during the hotter days.

BTW... nice work Tom you have some great looking products for the X2.

next up is applying the thickened epoxy to the bottom fill. I made this first one what I considered to be thick enough,but a few guys felt the need to tell me how in the past people had poked holes. so I doubled up on the first set for sale. it is also filled with flotation foam so it shouldn't hold much water if any. patch it up an keep riding.

anyway I am using a thin version and am not glassing them in just so I can see if it will stay put. I used a ratchet strap to go from the front to rear and this seems to hold the part pretty well everywhere but the rear and the little jog in the middle.

so one strap with a small block of wood for the inside jog, and one strap over a block of foam that resident genius Mr Strut came up with. he is also the one doing nearly all the work on the install especially the hour of sanding to get the foam right and the shape to fit. secretly I think he loves to sweat and itch- I mean why else would anyone do this stuff?
Back to it... the last shots show how the lines follow the original hull lines and kinda try to give you some perspective of how the hull is more like a sxr or sj style front.

Ride/abuse report should be coming soon. If it still runs, its been upside down being used to make molds from for almost 2 years.

is it possible to buy a set of sponsons an front fill and ship to germany? -> i can't find the function to send a pm here... i also contact you by your website.. ..currently no answer

best reguards -> falko

tom21

havin fun
I tried to get back to you but the email did not work. yes it possible to get those parts and ship to Germany.

Top Bottom