x-games

S

swanny

backflips and barrel rolls dont make you a good surfrider..trust me i know what people can do

where did I say BF's and BR's? They do make you a good jetskiier though, and combined with surfing that makes a good surf rider no? I know you beat Air D without doing a BF or BR while he did two each in your heat so maybe you are correct but if someone can do those and someone else cant doesnt that make someone a better skiier simply cause they can do something the other one cant or wont?

just curious when you say trust me you know what people do. what can they do?

The Johnny Havell / Pancake Pete exhibition in Daytona will be much more exciting to watch than the MX step up in the X games. It's just a matter of time. More people are riding every day. It doesn't matter if it's flatwater or surf. If it's BR or BF's. It is exciting to watch and it gets pushed further and further with every event.

Emm

skank
The Johnny Havell / Pancake Pete exhibition in Daytona will be much more exciting to watch than the MX step up in the X games. It's just a matter of time. More people are riding every day. It doesn't matter if it's flatwater or surf. If it's BR or BF's. It is exciting to watch and it gets pushed further and further with every event.

agreed.

stanton

High on jetskis.
but you probally havent seen really good surfriding..(not just bf and brs in the waves)

xgames is all about the "jaw drop factor" its going to be hard to make people :eek2: over a deep slash because most people dont even understand how hard it would be for them to even stand on a ski. its easy to blow minds when you see someone flying, not to mention rotating on one or more axis. flatwater doent have this danger so interest will be limited. not many people would be saying "pff i could do that!"
reminds me of nascar, circle driving gets boring QUICK, especially on tv. the chance of a wreck is what makes it so popular imo. watch the ads, they usually show carnage.
judge on all bases but the aerial show is what would bring a crowd

W

wydopen

? I know you beat Air D without doing a BF or BR while he did two each in your heat so maybe you are correct QUOTE]

i thought darin beat me..neither of us advanced

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wydopen

xgames is all about the "jaw drop factor" its going to be hard to make people :eek2: over a deep slash because most people dont even understand how hard it would be for them to even stand on a ski.

i think watching someone get spit out of a warping tube on a standup at puerto escondido would do the trick..

Big Kahuna

Administrator
I highly disagree... Flat water is much easier to watch from a spectators point of view... All the maneuvers are preformed right before the audience and it doesn't matter on the surf conditions.

This is probably the one time I will say that Malones and Watanabe's routines would be perfect for the X Games............. I just dont like that kinda of routine for flat water freestyle competition......

Having competed off and on in pro class since '99, I would say it would be great to have a two event X-game program format, and metals for for both formats. Street style(flat water with ramps and obsticles, not copying other sports with rails and such, but jet ski style like subbing under barrels etc. with a double up at the end. Surf could be 3-5 minute heats with head to head, or like Joe Kenney, Paul Lehr and myslf did one year, 3 at a time!!!(everyone liked that but tough to judge). If a someone was good enough to do both than so be it. I believe Rick Roy and Eric Malone have pushed the envelope in both flat-water and surf. I think they came from flat-water backrounds. The variations on the back-flip are great but, The surf(tricks not riding) has not had a huge progression since Eric did the first double barrel(surf).

W

wydopen

The variations on the back-flip are great but, The surf(tricks not riding) has not had a huge progression since Eric did the first double barrel(surf).

thats the problem there is only so much that can be done..i like the idea of some ramps and stuff for flatwater

Don't be close minded because you only ride one style. There are great SURF riders who are not just from the west coast. Not everyone has the dough to go compete at a comp. where the judges and promoters are from the same state. and are rooting for their local boys. Things can be a little clicky thats why some people just don't compete.

W

wydopen

Don't be close minded because you only ride one style. There are great SURF riders who are not just from the west coast. Not everyone has the dough to go compete at a comp. where the judges and promoters are from the same state. and are rooting for their local boys. Things can be a little clicky thats why some people just don't compete.

im not close minded..i just know what i like..and btw the judges were not all from Ca or even the U.S if you are referring to surf slam....im just simply stating what i think would be the best format for a comp like xgames...good big waves with guys that belong out there..

W

wydopen

This is probably the one time I will say that Malones and Watanabe's routines would be perfect for the X Games............. I just dont like that kinda of routine for flat water freestyle competition......

i agree..those guys would be exciting..BUT not when every guy does the same thing every year

norcal ex

X-H2
i agree..those guys would be exciting..BUT not when every guy does the same thing every year

The only aerial tricks i've seen in the surf worth mentioning is a back flip and barrel roll... Someone.. please explain to me how surf has more "variation". I really don't understand that "argument". Watch some flat water clips, there are the barrell roll, different variations of the barrel roll, back flip and about 4 different variations of the flair.... watch lee stones video....

I WILL SAY FLATWATER WOULD MAKE IT FIRST!

cmon look at the HUGE variety. when i first started i WAS SOOO EFFIN determined to do a HUGE sub till i was gone... finally i learned how to do it.. JUST THIS took every one on the beach to stare and be impressed... then hoodrides to fountians... everyone stopped to stare. and that is NOTHING...

i dont even know what its called but when malone or any one lands that tailwhip of a move its going to be insane.

X GAMES REQUIRES a controlled enviroment in a way for spectators. flatwater means people can see whats going on and know when its coming, flat water tricks. DOUBLE BOAT WAKES ect. surf there would be alot of waiting around for the right waves but hey ive never been in REAL surf yet but i cant imagine putting together a 1-2 min run in the surf. maybe a big trick contest but ya just what i see

thats the problem there is only so much that can be done..i like the idea of some ramps and stuff for flatwater

All because of a handle pole that limits your abality to do just about any MX Style Tricks.... Blasters are too damn heavy....

I will have the answer at Daytona.... But thats right, as far as your concerend there are only 10 good riders. :haha: I am a no-body..... but not for long :wiggle:

Mrs. Pancake

Beach Bunny
where did I say BF's and BR's? They do make you a good jetskiier though, and combined with surfing that makes a good surf rider no? I know you beat Air D without doing a BF or BR while he did two each in your heat so maybe you are correct but if someone can do those and someone else cant doesnt that make someone a better skiier simply cause they can do something the other one cant or wont?

just curious when you say trust me you know what people do. what can they do?

I was with Pete at the Surf Slam, and some did surf riding and some did tricks, and the people I was standing with liked the big tricks better.
Looks to me like more of a crowd pleaser !

i think watching someone get spit out of a warping tube on a standup at puerto escondido would do the trick..

I watched you ride, and you did no tricks but still scored good with surf riding. For anything to be considered for xgames or TV, it would need the crowd intrested, and I dont think it would happen with just surf riding !
I like how you imply tht backflips and barrel rolls arnt good enough, or is it because you cant do it ?

Fro Diesel

creative control
The only aerial tricks i've seen in the surf worth mentioning is a back flip and barrel roll... Someone.. please explain to me how surf has more "variation". I really don't understand that "argument". Watch some flat water clips, there are the barrell roll, different variations of the barrel roll, back flip and about 4 different variations of the flair.... watch lee stones video....

There is so much in this sport yet to progress. Don't limit it to those two tricks (BF & BR). Surf tricks are superior dependent on the waves. Most people don't think there are good waves here on the Great Lakes. I plan to prove them wrong by issuing a Michigan surf feature. Choppy but huge airs to follow.

Any thoughts of the X games makes me cringe. Overexposure will take the friendship out of the sport. Corporate dollars will do nothing but corrupt our image. I like the freerides already in place. No need to spoil the fun. Recognition seems to be so important in this country. I like the idea of riding clubs and sponsorship over titles and medals. Surfslam attracts the right talent, and daytona looks to be the right atmosphere. More events, less corperate greed plz.

Pete, Slutty, Serlin...those are just the well advertised ones who continue to evolve on a daily basis. Just a few degrees separates a flat to off axis trick. Open your eyes...there is constant trick evolution in progress.:smashfreakB:

Top Bottom