300/440/550 x2 or sx?

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I have rode many SX/s and stock X2's stock to stock I would take the X2 every time,unless you do some kind of handlepole conversion on the SX you are stuck with a pole that weighs 900lbs.The handling on that hull changes drastically once you ditch the stock pole,even more so once you go the fixed steering route.I have done everything possible to lighten up my SX,it is running a bone stock 650 engine with a pipe mod and a 38mm kehin carb ,everyone that rode it could not believe the engine was stock.The hood you are looking at in that pic weighs at most 7.5 lbs,knocking off another good 20 lbs,plus I am ditching the handlepole bracket..

Bit the bullet

Well guys, I bit the bullet and bought an X2 for $350. Is in pretty decent shape and is basically stock except for a stainless impeller. Figured for that price I could part it or use the motor to do a 650 conversion on my js550. Now to get some warmth up here and see if I like it. While I wait for the warm weather, what mods do I start with? LMAO

A couple of posts have mentioned the SX being lighter than the X2, and one post said the X2 is lighter than many standups. Well, one of the coolest things I got recently on a SC and SX package deal was that I purchased them from the original owners and got all the original documents that the dealer gave them when they bought them. In it was a couple of the full color Kawi 1991 PWC sales brochures.

It states the SX at 282 pounds and the X2 at 276 pounds. I think that makes the X2 lighter than the SX and lighter than all standups short of the 300, 440, and 550, no? And maybe not the FX1?

I really just wanted the SC. Both skis are stock and immaculate. I'll probably give the SX a ride just to say I've ridden one, but my expectation is that I'll probably sell it. I have a 750SX and an SXI Pro so I expect to be underwhelmed...

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
The X2 is lighter than the 650SX and the superjet if all are kept stock.

I prefer the X2 over the 650sx. I prefer the fixed sterring. I prefer the wider stance of the X2 (unless you cut the gunwhales off or put in deep foot holds, the standups have a narrower stance). The driveshaft is longer and thus the X2 has a more forward weight.

If you're going to keep a 650 in the X2, my best suggestion is to make all of your primary componets (engine and electronics) nice and tidy. Buy a 650sx hull and do an engine swap once every couple of months. Quick disconnects on the start/stop and the SX and X2 both having their own fuel tanks, throttle cables and waterboxes, it should take about a half an hour to swap engines. This will get significantly more difficult to do as you move away from stock setup (as the larger engines must be worked into the hull, they don't fit well). I like riding surf stance too, and you cannot do that on an X2.

Last edited:
Why did you ask which one is better if your just gonna part it?

What I meant was if when spring finally arrives and I finally take it out and decide I don't like it as well as a "true" stand-up, I don't think I'll be hurt any $ wise (I should be able to recoup most of my investment anyway)

Last edited:

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
What I meant was if when spring finally arrives and I finally take it out and decide I don't like it as well as a "true" stand-up, I don't think I'll be hurt any $ wise (I should be able to recoup most of my investment anyway)

The 650sx and the X2 are the same mechanically except for the drive shaft, steering and the fuel tank. There are a few other parts that don't match up like e-boxes but most can be made to work. Get a SX hull before parting the X2. You may find that you really do like that X2 after all.

PS. if you ride a SJ you will think the X2 sucks. The X2 is significantly less powered than the SJs. They can be equally as fun with an engine upgrade for the X2 (depending on who you ask, of course).

Last edited:

FreestyleFreak

Region 7 AM Freestyle
Your first ride on the x2 you will probably hate it,give it more than one chance and you will most likely love it.I started on the sx's and wish i would had went straight for sj's.But i freestyle and sj's are the only way to go for that.

Top Bottom