x2 pump/ 750sx pump differences?

still trying to come up with a ideal pump solution for 701 powered x2. I have a 750 pump, oem x2 pump and oem sxr impeller. If i cant easily put in a 144 mm yamaha pump then i want to run the sxr impeller. I've read some thread the sxr prop has to be cut back and other threads with no mention of cut back. are the x2 pumps and 750/800 pumps the same diameter?

Suggestions?

I machined my stock SXR impeller for my 650 pump a while back. I machined probably 8mm or more off the center hub area to get it set back to where it should be. After that there was somthing else. If I remember correctly it was counterboring the threads so the pump shaft would thread in fully.
From what I have seen the 750 pump and the 650 have the same basic flow area. only difference is that changing props in the 750 would be easier.

Here's a pic when I machind the prop.
Now that I think about it I had to machine out the front of the prop splines as the driveshaft wouldn't fit in all the way.

Attachments

• MVC-001S.JPG
    MVC-001S.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 186

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
still trying to come up with a ideal pump solution for 701 powered x2. I have a 750 pump, oem x2 pump and oem sxr impeller. If i cant easily put in a 144 mm yamaha pump then i want to run the sxr impeller. I've read some thread the sxr prop has to be cut back and other threads with no mention of cut back. are the x2 pumps and 750/800 pumps the same diameter?

Suggestions?
No need for the yami pump, get the prop cutback and the splines cut, Impros knows what to do.

crab, use the sxr machined on the x2 or 750 pump? I did get the 701 bolted in an alighned last night. Im just thinking the sxr prop is going to be a nice combo for this motor

Attachments

• x2 002.jpg
    x2 002.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
crab, use the sxr machined on the x2 or 750 pump? I did get the 701 bolted in an alighned last night. Im just thinking the sxr prop is going to be a nice combo for this motor
Stock x2 pump, if you put the 750 pump in the prop will not need to be modded but you also have to change the scoop grate as well. IMO, less work to just get the prop fixed by Impros.

I mounted my 701 similar to how you did yours. Did you have the 701 bed plates machined down?

As for the SXR impeller in the 650 pump, simply send it to Impros and they cut material from the hub and spline........tell Dave its for a 650 and he knows exactly what to do......they work GREAT!

The 750 pump bolts right up using the original mounts but you'll need to get an OEM (or aftermarket) SXR pump shoe and do some shaving on it to match the contour of the 650 hull. You will also need to frankenstein a 650 and 750 intake grate together. The 650 is a 3 point mount and the 750 is a 4 point mount.......nothing a little tig welding won't take car of.
The SXR prop will not need to be modified if you use the 750 pump.

X2016.jpg

X2014.jpg

X2013.jpg

Last edited:
dbro, i scrapped the 800 swap didnt want to put an 800 in and have an expensive motor pipe combo in a $50 ski, plus there is quite a bit more work to do the 800 conversion. I pieced together a 701 that wont make me sick if i sink it a couple of times.

x2skier, I did the same thing you did, however i didn't know you did yours that way. I though i came up with that solution. Oh well, i'm never as smart as i think i am. I havent got through all the x2 posts yet. I didnt do any machining, i used the grinder. I slotted the holes and ground the bed plates then i ground the hull bosses a little to get it to align properly . Alittle more crude than some conversion but very fast, cheap and easy. $20 worth of aluminum and about 5 hours. I might squirt some of my green glue under there for security, but hate to use a tube of glue thats worth more than my ski. Didnt want to go crazy on a ski thats going to have a very hard life.

Last edited:
x2skier, I did the same thing you did, however i didn't know you did yours that way. I though i came up with that solution. Oh well, i'm never as smart as i think i am. I havent got through all the x2 posts yet. I didnt do any machining, i used the grinder. I slotted the holes and ground the bed plates then i ground the hull bosses a little to get it to align properly . Alittle more crude than some conversion but very fast, cheap and easy. $20 worth of aluminum and about 5 hours. I might squirt some of my green glue under there for security, but hate to use a tube of glue thats worth more than my ski. Didnt want to go crazy on a ski thats going to have a very hard life.

Yeah, it looks good and is a clean and EASY conversion. I'm probably around $75 for mine. I took the bedplates to a machine shop ($45) and had 1/4" removed from the mounting points to make up the difference from the 1/4" aluminum plates.

man, I should have tried that. I thought that from the vary begining it looked like it could be done like that. I just never mounted mounts to the bedplates... oh well live and learn, I am into a set of crabs plates and I'm not backing out on him. but i know number 2 will be cheap and easy!!! nice work. I can't wait for the water to melt!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom