Super Jet XFT HOOD Seal trouble ......... Wamiltons RRP hull side Hooks ......... any ideas

I'm having a little trouble getting my xft hood to seal properly. I'm running a RRP bracket , X-metal hull side hooks and stock hooks on the hood . I just can't get any downward pressure on the front of the hood . When the ratchet strap is tightened it seems be putting all the pressure on the rear of the hood creating an uneven gap for water intrusion.

1. The stock brackets cannot be slotted and moved up enough to solve it (you run out of material ).

2. The hood liner does not allow for access to re drill the hood and mount them lower.

3. Stock hull side hooks are not strong enough to compress the additional inter seal that xft hoods have .

My conclusion is that the x-metal bracket is 3/16 stainless while the RRP is a tad over 3/8 of an inch . The thicker RRP bracket raises the height of The x hooks to stand slightly over 3/16's of an inch higher . This in-turn allows the hood to sit level with no pressure on the front . Generally speaking most hoods sit slightly elevated in the rear and need some pressure to seat fully in the rear . This should give the hood nice even pressure all the way around when latched / strapped. I think this is where the problem starts and ends .

Who makes hull side hooks machined lower ? Wamaltons sells a set for the RRP pole . Any body solve a hood problem by using them ? Sorry it's wordy .

Thanks

Ghetto Jet

I'm on a boat
How much material can you take off the bottom of x hood hooks? It might be possible to take material off of the bracket and the hood hooks to get it to fit properly. It would also be a damn shame to have to cut into such nice pieces. Everything thats aftermarket is going to take a little love for it to work properly though. You could also try placing a washer on the bottom of the hood side hooks, it is a tad ghetto (ghetto jet!!!) but it could make up a little bit of room. It sounds to me like you have a significant gap though.

I am fairly sure your problem is a mis match of aftermarket parts. I dont believe the x-metal hull hooks are supposed to be mounted on top of a bracket. I BELIEVE they should be mounted directly to the hull. I think wamiltons makes a set of hull side hood hooks that are specifically for the RRP bracket to replace the clips it comes with.

Last edited:

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
You need some hood hooks that are meant to be mounted on a bracket. XFT's come to mind. I'm not sure of the others but I know the x-metal hood hooks are meant to be mounted directly on the hull.

How much material can you take off the bottom of x hood hooks? It might be possible to take material off of the bracket and the hood hooks to get it to fit properly. It would also be a damn shame to have to cut into such nice pieces. Everything thats aftermarket is going to take a little love for it to work properly though. You could also try placing a washer on the bottom of the hood side hooks, it is a tad ghetto (ghetto jet!!!) but it could make up a little bit of room. It sounds to me like you have a significant gap though.

Can't take any off the xmetal hooks due to the thickness of the end of the bracket . I've been running a washer with little sucess (even two) . wielding material to the stock hood bracket and slotting the holes may be the best answer . I have a little pull at a local shop so we will see.

I am fairly sure your problem is a mis match of aftermarket parts. I dont believe the x-metal hull hooks are supposed to be mounted on top of a bracket. I BELIEVE they should be mounted directly to the hull. I think wamiltons makes a set of hull side hood hooks that are specifically for the RRP bracket to replace the clips it comes with.

I think you are right . After market mix matching always gets you in trouble. I'm going to look at the wammer hooks . Then maybe to the fab shop . I did not think XFT hull side hooks could be used with other brackets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom