xscream HOLES IN HULL. repair advice needed

I was riding my recently acquired x scream kong when I noticed it taking on alot of water. looked around and found a small hole. Got the ski in the garage and ground out the loose bits then found another spot where I could pry up a small chunk and push through the hull with a screw driver. I then grinded that to reveal a nice hole. So I now have two holes in my hull and what looked to be like a layer of the glass that had fallen off. I have no clue how in the world this happened as there's no rocks in my lake and I never dropped it on anything. I wanted to know what the experts on here would do to make all this perfect. the hull is fiber glass with carbon Kevlar lining the engine bay. I have 2:1 us composites epoxy for glass, carbon fiber, ect and woven fiberglass cloth. I know I could make it work by grinding it down more and layering in cloth and epoxy but I want it to be the best it can. What techniques would you guys use and what would you use to paint/coat it once its done. Thanks for the help in advance. Chas

Pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.4 KB · Views: 240
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    129.1 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 232

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Shipping tape on the outside. Thickened epoxy in the holes. Multiple layers of biax in bigger and bigger pieces on the inside after the area is cleaned and ground down to glass. 3 layers of 12oz would be more than enough.

Looks like it was caught in a drive-by, you live in chicago?
Shipping tape on the outside. Thickened epoxy in the holes. Multiple layers of biax in bigger and bigger pieces on the inside after the area is cleaned and ground down to glass. 3 layers of 12oz would be more than enough.
Ok bare with me im not up to date on all these terms. so when you say thickened do you mean you let it start to cure so its more of a mud? what is biax? is 12oz the type of epoxy?

Ducky

Back in the game!
Hard to tell exactly where it is, but almost looks like those holes were caused by the 4 case bolts that are in the middle bottom of the cases. Make sure after you fix the holes, you put some thick padding under the motor so it wont happen again.

Hard to tell exactly where it is, but almost looks like those holes were caused by the 4 case bolts that are in the middle bottom of the cases. Make sure after you fix the holes, you put some thick padding under the motor so it wont happen again.
10-4. one of the holes is just pretty much under one of those bolts. the other isnt. the're about an inch inside the mounts on the front port side.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Cabosil can be used to thicken epoxy.
12 oz is the weight of the biax cloth you should use. Uscomposites.com is where you can get all of it. Talk to you tomorrow.

I've noticed a lot of people don't realize that their case bolts came from gp's which had a dampener in the center 4 bolts, those bolts have a raised shoulder that make it stick out 1/2" farther than the outer bolts. This is bad especially with soft oem mounts. Motor can decompress the mounts on hard landings and put those 4 bolts right through the bottom. I put 25mm padding under the entire disaster plate on my phantom and I haven't had one issue, of course I don't run them long bolts but like previously stated it's good insurance for the o poop moments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom