Yamaha Laser Jet ?

Actually that ski was made by Laser Jet , By looking at the pic it's a Thunder Jet F15 which means it has the pjs 700 with dual carbs. Had one of those, sold it a few years back, lots of top end, not good off the bottom, and did not like the handling. save your money for something else. Oh yeah, that dark strip up the center of the handpole is a solar panel to charge the battery when not in use.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly Pjs's ski was named a Viper, forgot the name of the sitdown, and also I believe the reason PJS went under was because of Laser Jet went bankrupt and owed tyhem a load of $$$. I forgot who told me that.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Yes the PJS ski has the same engine setup but a totally different hull,that one in the pic is a 93 Laserjet which is the upgraded hull,mine is a 92 and the hull pretty much sucked, doesn't matter for what I am doing since I am reinforcing the crap out of it,but for freestyle use the PJS engine won't cut it at all.PJS went under because they directly copied Kawasaki's designs,lawsuit city.Laserjet went under because the initial shipment of hulls they sent to Japan had bad bulkheads,they had to replace basically every 92 hull that they made,it put them in bankrupcy and the sitdowns they had on the drawing board never made it to market.

WFO Speedracer

Yeah I used to work at a Laserjet dealership once upon a time lol.The 92 I have is one of the replacement hulls,its still crap but nothing a few layers of carbon fiber won't cure.

Last edited:
R

ridethelip

By the time the Viper and Lazer jet were available to the public was there design dated? Doomed any way going up against kawi 750sx and yami superjet?

PJS and Laserjet were late to the scene. They like the FX1 were 550 style boats that were introduced when the 750 came in and the 440-550s went out. The Kawi 650 was never very competitive nor was the Superjet until slolom went away from racing. McCluggage had to use a Superjet for closed course and an Fx1 in slolom the first year they let Yamahas race. I doubt that any of these small companies could have made it through the 90s even if they built boats that people wanted.

WFO Speedracer

I will say this box stock out of the box,it was fast and at the time it was introduced it was the fastest production watercraft period,the F15 would run an honest to God 52 mph right out of the box,bump the compression a bit and you had yourself a monster,the F14 ruled limited class,there was nothing that would touch it stock to stock in that class.Larry Rippenkroger and his wife both competed on these skis.I did a couple of race F15's for some guys out of Tennessee,after I did the the head mods and some slight rejetting they called me back and said on the course they dominated everything bar none,one guy was racing his and the jet pump wasn't even sealed to the hull properly,I knew it immediately when I tested it after the mods,how the hell he didn't notice that one was beyond me.

NW Lover

What is a Juggalo??
That is a great deal! I would love to have the ThunderJet! It is soon to be very collectable! I would trade a Squarenose for it any day! Sometimes you should enjoy what you are riding for what it is and not how it compares.:Banane09:

I raced one of those for the 92 or 93 season(i cant remember) back in the day when Aqua Jet was still in business in Toronto. I remember it was fast as hell and they put it in the 550 class, I cleaned up on that thing, the 550`s were no match for it. I remember it being hard to get used to the handling as I was also racing a superjet at the same time, it was hard going back and forth.

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
IMO they are very similar to a 750, the hull feels the same and the power feels the same. For a 550 they haul....but its still a 550.

Top Bottom