Yamaha Octane build

I havent touched this thing in almost 3 months because I've been working in Australia, now that i'm back it's time to get it ready for the lsfr this weekend. Got the pipe back, i ended up going with powercoating instead of ceramic. Only because i could get it done locally and didn't want to wait to send it off. Also made a chin pad for the rick roy pole and fully mounted it.

Just need to install the big superjet gas tank and hopefully it still runs and more importantly hopefully it will run in the salt water.

Attachments

• australiapics 024.jpg
    australiapics 024.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 110
  • australiapics 028.jpg
    australiapics 028.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 85
  • australiapics 030.jpg
    australiapics 030.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 86
  • australiapics 029.jpg
    australiapics 029.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 71
yep, Sydney had major hail. Couldn't pass up making money in the months i usually only spend money in. Got to ride over there thanks to Cambo Au and his friends, made missing daytona not so bad.

I just read this post from start to finish and all I have to say is WOW! The whole read was very entertaining. Not that I know what I'm talking about but this build was super clean. I liked how you designed the hull to work with different engine platforms. Also as others have said, its very motivating. It was awesome to be able to read through a whole build with out having to wait for the progress. I even got to see videos of how the whole project came together! AWESOME!!:thewave:

update: I still love this ski, its holding up real well except the hood. I'm starting another build and need to rob quite a few 66e parts off this one so its going to get a 62t motor put in it (when i built the hull i set it up to take either the 66e or 62t motors). I'm going to stick with charging ignition, full size gas tank and waterbox for a more reliable ski. This will make a nice backup ski and something i can take to freerides without having to work on it so much, i've had bad luck with the 66e motors and freerides

I bought a real nice motor that Ed Brazina built a couple of years ago, it has an r&D 7 port cylinder. I'm going to run 49mm full specs, vilder programmable charging ignition, fpp octane drypipe. I'm leaving the 144 mag in it. I mocked up the huge octane drypipe. It fits well, I've heard its a very good running pipe, but have never tried one. Im going to run it first, if it sucks, i'll b pipe it.

Attachments

• parts 023.jpg
    parts 023.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 142
  • parts 024.jpg
    parts 024.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 71
  • parts 026.jpg
    parts 026.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 52
  • parts 028.jpg
    parts 028.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 64
G

Goose

Im curious to see how your gonna like that boat with a lighter motor in it

it has its pluses and minuses. I've had 3 66e based motors in this hull and this will be the third 62t based motor ive run in it. The tdr motor ran very well in this and it was really fun and reliable, it just was quite a step back in power. The 62t motors, although lighter, dont feel lighter. The boat handles a little better with the t motors but won't run up a boat wave or windchop wave as well.

I ran the same pump with all motors, 16/23 with the 66e motors 13/18 with the 62t based motors. Big difference in power

WaHoo_1

Surf Swimmer
update: I still love this ski, its holding up real well except the hood. I'm starting another build and need to rob quite a few 66e parts off this one so its going to get a 62t motor put in it (when i built the hull i set it up to take either the 66e or 62t motors). I'm going to stick with charging ignition, full size gas tank and waterbox for a more reliable ski. This will make a nice backup ski and something i can take to freerides without having to work on it so much, i've had bad luck with the 66e motors and freerides

I bought a real nice motor that Ed Brazina built a couple of years ago, it has an r&D 7 port cylinder. I'm going to run 49mm full specs, vilder programmable charging ignition, fpp octane drypipe. I'm leaving the 144 mag in it. I mocked up the huge octane drypipe. It fits well, I've heard its a very good running pipe, but have never tried one. Im going to run it first, if it sucks, i'll b pipe it.

Tom= BIG Pimp!

Here's the ski as it sits now ready for daytona.

Didnt want to mess with tuning the drypipe and wasn't sure if it be reliable in the surf so i install a bpipe.

Brazina ported lamey/rd cylinder, 49mm full specs with boysen intake and reeds, 144mag pump 13/18 prop

Rick roy steering, I like this better than previous setup and its more adjustable and the nut cant back off

Modified skat nozzle, I shortened it and notched it like the eme comp boats and bun freestyle nozzle. When you pull the lever, the pump doesnt cavitate and run differently now. I think the previous setup tilted enough it stuff the pump too much when tilted up.

Added the external fill now since i have a superjet tank in it.

Runs really well, fairly light for an octane, weighed in a 308lbs

The only thing left before daytona will be hood repairs/reinforcing and a ratching hood strap and padding the footholds more

Other than the hull top, bottom and hood, there is not a single polaris octane part, nut or bolt on this ski.

Attachments

• currentoctane 006.jpg
    currentoctane 006.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 61
  • currentoctane 002.jpg
    currentoctane 002.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 59
  • currentoctane 003.jpg
    currentoctane 003.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 103
  • currentoctane 004.jpg
    currentoctane 004.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 105
  • currentoctane 005.jpg
    currentoctane 005.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
This is all my theory, but it seems to have improve when i notched this. I plan on going a little bigger to match the bun freestyle nozzle.

When the nozzle tilts up it pinches the flow, making the volume of water going out less, kinda like a smaller nozzle would do. The notch lets some pressure release making it run like it was orignal position nozzle flow. I've noticed alot my skis ran different on the bottom end with the nozzle pulled and than they did with the nozzle in regular position. It would load the pump enough it would slow it down or cavitate when pulled.

Top Bottom