Yamaha Stock 701 Tricks

The wakes in the vid aren't 5-7 feet, man. :dunno: On a wave that size you can't see your buddes on the other side of it.

Very Very nice riding though!

------

My stock superjet resume consists of jumping, carves and slides on waves and flat, jump and turn subs, 3 second fountains, riding backwards (for short time)...I have a few stab attempts off waves but I haven't quite figured out the body motion and have landed mostly crooked. In the air on them I get terrified because it feels like I'm about to knock myself out.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Hard to believe but ill link out videos. Trust me we live in jet ski paradise. We have great large yatch traffic and the ocean only 2hrs away tops. You Ny,Pa,Nj crews need to come down. The average wake is 4-5ft we hit. And you can come across ones over your head on approach. I'm 6'2 looking up at the froth lol.

http://instagram.com/p/fK08_dk5hh/.

https://vimeo.com/m/74421664

Justin flipping a Sj with the standard mods, pipe, trim, maybe prop at most? ( off a small to us wake )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9Oh2i2Hbt0

Is that a joke?

A 7 ft wake/wave would be a foot to a foot and a half over the top of most people's heads. I.e., when you are at the bottom of the trough, you still have a foot of water above your line of sight. You'd know it if you seen an overhead wake/wave. The wakes in that video were decent, but 5ft at most, being very generous and counting whitewash.

Dirtybird

Ex*ta*ski
We ride big boat wake all the time here and I will honestly say when we are in the trough sometimes all you see is water.
Some guys won't even hit the wave.
The right speed, right boat shape, right water = huge waves.
Just sayin.

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
The wakes in the vid aren't 5-7 feet, man. :dunno: On a wave that size you can't see your buddes on the other side of it.

Very Very nice riding though!

------

My stock superjet resume consists of jumping, carves and slides on waves and flat, jump and turn subs, 3 second fountains, riding backwards (for short time)...I have a few stab attempts off waves but I haven't quite figured out the body motion and have landed mostly crooked. In the air on them I get terrified because it feels like I'm about to knock myself out.
Do you wear a helmet?

Roseand

The Weaponizer
Site Supporter
Do you wipe your ass after you :):):):)?
Maybe I should have clarified that I was talking to Mthomps, not to the guy trying backies.

Mthomps mentioned this about stabs: "In the air on them I get terrified because it feels like I'm about to knock myself out."
I asked him if he wears a helmet because I felt pretty sketchy too when I used to try stabs without a helmet.

Joker

...chaos? Its Fair!
I know what you were referring too. I was just being a smart ass. I wear a helmet even when I just go cruise. I value the cost of my head at irreplaceable.

Is that a joke?

A 7 ft wake/wave would be a foot to a foot and a half over the top of most people's heads. I.e., when you are at the bottom of the trough, you still have a foot of water above your line of sight. You'd know it if you seen an overhead wake/wave. The wakes in that video were decent, but 5ft at most, being very generous and counting whitewash.
Did you not read what I said??? I said these are not the wakes...it's a small idea. I'm looking up the big stuff footage. These are 4-5. Either way large enough to see Justin flip a stock super jet. Which is posted above lol. Not trying to be a prick bud. JS....

Last edited:
Do you wear a helmet?

No....I'm gonna need to get one though for trying to stab and roll next year. I gotta watch some stab videos and read up on the technique. I've never really landed one of these...when I have my head way over the nose and crank the bars i get a lot closer than if I didn't try to commit. But that's when I get the feeling I'm about to be knocked out.

BruceSki

Formerly Motoman25
Did you not read what I said??? I said these are not the wakes...it's a small idea. I'm looking up the big stuff footage. These are 4-5. Either way large enough to see Justin flip a stock super jet. Which is posted above lol. Not trying to be a prick bud. JS....

I have video of a few of our crew riding 6-8 footers according to swell info.

I know for sure that there were a few sets that day that were double overhead to a beach break. Scary :):):):). I ran from those waves. I think the camera footage looks like :):):):). Seems like ity bity waves to me. But I know what its like to look at an 8 foot curling ocean wave and go "ah what the hell" and flip it.

I honestly take offense to guys who think they jump 6-8 foot boat waves. I might have to take a ride down a few states next summer and show "ya'll" how its done on a stock squarenose with no trim and stock 701 motor.

I gotta say...I think there is a psychological difference when in waves that big... I've been in them twice and both times were in inlets on lake erie. Over by the beach they break 2-5 mostly. But on the way there it can be an overwhelming experience.

It's not that they are powerful but that there is a lot of up and down you have to ride through. And between them all you see is water!

I grew up in vegas, riding at lake mead before the 2 stroke ban and the thing about mead is that there all kinds of different sized boats and I can honestly say ive ridden behind a huge cabin cruiser that easily threw out a 6-8 ft wake nice videos by the way

I'm brand new to the sport just got a 2012 superjet bone stock and would like to learn these tricks or at least try a few ...I've rode my ski twice in the 2 days I've had it and starting to jump small wakes but I have no clue what most of the tricks above look like anyone have a link to sparkplugs list of tricks?

I'm brand new to the sport just got a 2012 superjet bone stock and would like to learn these tricks or at least try a few ...I've rode my ski twice in the 2 days I've had it and starting to jump small wakes but I have no clue what most of the tricks above look like anyone have a link to sparkplugs list of tricks?

Check out this thread http://www.x-h2o.com/index.php?threads/the-thread-with-all-the-best-jet-ski-videos.137633/ .There are a couple vintage ones on there that are really sweet too.

Thanks the link helped gonna try the turn sub and jump sub this weekend and any tips to get higher jumps I've read about letting ski sink into water just before the wake and then pull back and full throttle but my ski seems to bog down and plow thru the wake

I learned to jet ski back in the 80s so old school / stock tricks was all there was LOL.

• Side Barefoot - on a JS550 the air intake was a perfect handhold, I still need to add handholds to my SJ. You get good speed, hold the hood, and swing both legs over the side and with enough speed and smooth water you can actually barefoot ski. Really fun feeling and pretty easy.
  • Hood riding - straddle the hood and ride, either reaching back for the throttle, or using your foot for the throttle
  • Hood riding backwards - put your chest on the hood and spin around backwards, put your feet on the rails. This of course is the basis for many tricks such as the fountain, backwards barefoot, etc.
  • Fountain - ride hood backwards, slow down, and as the nose goes under gas it. If you steer you can keep it going longer. It's fun to soak people.
  • Backwards barefoot - from hood ride backwards, get speed on smooth water, and stand up. Pain potential if you screw up.
  • Ride backwards standing - the main challenge is counteracting the lurch forward when you let go of the throttle as you are turning 180 degrees
  • Pirouette - the "twirly Spin-around dance in the tray". Throw the handle pole up in the air spin your body around 360 degrees in the tray and catch the bar and keep riding, counteracting the lurch forward when releasing the throttle is again the key. Learning these meant losing the ski at high speed and having to swim after it a few times
  • 180 slides - crank the bars and power the throttle enough to break free and slide sideways
  • 180 slides into tail stands - do a 180 slide and instead of riding out pull back and get the ski vertical, and use the bars and throttle to keep it upright
  • Tail stand Pirouette - from a tail stand spin your body around 360 degrees and grab the bards and keep it in a tail stand
  • Tail stand spin - there was a name for this, hurricane? tornado? From a tail stand start spinning, you can get it going really fast and start rising out of the water
  • 360s - like a 180 slide with more throttle/steering enough to complete almost a full 360 as you slow grab some throttle to finish the 360 and ride it out. The deeper the chines your boat the harder this is
  • Straight sub - lifting the back end up is key
  • Turn sub - see instructions in other threads
  • Power sub
  • Nose stab
  • Old school barrel rolls - get medium speed on your knees, do a 180 slide then right at the end grab the tray with your left hand and pitch your body and the ski over to the right, going underwater and rotating the ski along it's long access
  • Standing on the hood - ride standing on the hood instead of the tray and do other tricks like 360s
The comps used to be on TV. So we'd watch one then go out an try the new tricks we saw that week.

Top Bottom