Yamaha SUV 1200 Won’t Exceed 6K RPM

Hello all. For the past two months I’ve been stressing and ripping my hair to get my new jet ski running. I got it free from a friend and wasn’t running. Turns out it was just water in fuel. That rusted my carbs out and possibly caused a backfire making the seals come out. Later on because of the bad seal PTO piston completely incinerated.

Bringing it home and tearing it apart I did a full top end rebuild including a 1.5 bore, carb rebuild and replaced all three crank seals. Everything was done in accordance with the service manual. Compression is almost perfect with about 115-119 and the spec is 120. The reeds look good and no light is passing through. I am not a pro, in fact, this is my first rebuild. I just love the DIY experience and learning.

Out of water on trailer it can rev all the way to limiter and go back down to idle no problem. Finally putting it on the water today and I was not impressed. Cold starting requires choke like normal and when warmed up it starts almost instantly. When setting out I feel no hesitation until I reach 6K RPMS. At that point it will either completely die or more commonly bog down and rev up once again until 6K. Now I would like to believe this issue is carburetor related and am pretty positive it is or it could be fuel lines but haven’t been convinced enough to replace that yet. I started by richening the high speed carb screw and it got a bit better, after I noticed low speed screw was a little too rich so I leaned it out a tad. Lastly, I did a run across lake still had same issue however pulling choke half way immediately before bogging and it will go wide open no problem until you let go of throttle having to start acceleration process over again. So I richened high speed screws again just a quarter turn ran it without air box and once again reached full rpm, putting air box back on and the issue came back just not as bad. Sometimes it will reach full rpm hold it for a few seconds and bog and stay like that for 30 seconds and then once again fine to go full throttle all over again repeating this process. At this point I was done for the day. Putting it back on trailer and starting it to drain water it revs all the wav to rev limiter once again as if nothing ever happened. Does this mean maybe going a little richer on high speed screws will solve it? Can’t tell because I ran out of time today.

If you made it through this whole book thanks! I would love some advice on what I can do.

Hey welcome to the X! This is a stand up enthusiast forum. Your question will get more and better responses over at greenhulk.net which is a high performance sitdown ski forum

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
I parted one of those out a few years ago. You would absolutely cry to see the minty fresh carbs I eventually just threw out because I couldn't sell them.

I doubt carbs themselves need replacing.

Search on Greenhulk.net for 65u 1200 carb mods by ‘OsideBill’ (RIP). He was a guru on these engines and has proven specs over OEM settings.

You’ll find you want to ditch the choke and run a primer and run double check valves on the fuel metering block. These engines are notorious for pulling a vacuum too hard and creasing fuel pump valves which can cause issues. There’s other mods like drilling out fuel returns and running a return jet, and going with his unstaggered jetting setup.

I bet it's crank bearings. You mentioned doing everything but a new crank or crank bearings. I had the same problem on an old 96 XP800. Out of the water it started fine and would rev up properly. In the water it was a nightmare to get running properly. Turned out the crank bearings had enough play in them that under load they would allow the crank to move enough to open an air gap between the crank and seals throwing carburetion off completely. Whether a runabout or standup, crank bearings are in them all. This is a cross platform problem and still worth hearing about, these same sypmtoms might happen to someone else regardless of the hull the engine is in. Let us know what you find, but definitely look into those crank bearings before you start throwing tons of parts at it :)

Top Bottom