FX-1 Yet another pump question...

I have a Skat 19/24 prop in my pump but it seems to be spinning up too much. I have rebuilt the engine with the following mods:

Over bore making it about 710cc.
Cabon Tech Reeds.
Ported Head.
Protec ECU.
Factory B Pipe.

Is there anything I can do to help hook up this pump or would I just be wasting my time?

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
Sorry, there's not too much hope for the stock FX-1 pump with motor mods. Believe me...I've tried them all.

The easiest mod is the Special FX, 650 kawi pump conversion. It works.

One of the Guru's over here in the UK has managed to improve the pump's performance by fitting a smaller cone and removing some alloy to make the flow through the pump better. He also tweaked the prop slightly which also helped. I just wondered if anyone had managed better gains from doing anything else? Have any of you tweaked the prop and found it better? If so, what did you tweak it to? I think (not sure) mine is now 21/24..?

The easiest mod is the Special FX, 650 kawi pump conversion. It works.

Hi Flash, I have had some great feed back from Special FX, but, I was wondering why you are not advising me to go down the 144mm SJ road?

I am also wondering if anyone on here has compared both conversions? It would be great to here from that person or persons...

Cheers for any and all help on this one guys.

Kelvin

Flash-FX

No Square..No Round..FX-1
The 144mm conversion requires more grinding and glass work than the Kawi 650 pump mod does. If that doesn't bother you... go for it. The top speed is all about the same between all the mods. I've ridden them all.

Here's a couple pix of one of my FX-1 experimental props...after something big went through it. It was a 19-40 with extended trailing blades(a stainless welding/balancing project). The clearance between the blade and the stator was about the thickness of a business card. It worked ok in the surf (way better than a 19-25). It was all about reducing cavitation...I never completely solved that issue with the 122mm pump.

The 144mm mag pump I'm running now is like direct drive compared to those "little" pumps...but there are some overloading issues with the 144mm that can be worked around.

Are you looking for top speed or freeride in the surf?

Attachments

• 122MM-1.jpg
    122MM-1.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 122MM-2.jpg
    122MM-2.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 33
Really not bothered about top end... I would like to do both freeride and freestyle... I am seriously concidering the kwak pump conversion for various reasons but the main is that if I destroy a pump, the kwak one can be easily replaced. The SJ mod I would have to wait to get on modded...

Cheers for any help and advice.

Its a bolt right in the exsisting holes job and the drive shaft will fit but from there on its all modding. Pump shoe has to be swapped out for the Plastic SJ item but this also needs glass work. The intake grate has to be modded as the SJ one is longer and mounts differently. Seemingly, there is a nightmare with the steering cables also. A lot of work compared to the kwak conversion. I have read many threads now on this subject and found that peeps seem to have better results from the kwak conversion as the SJ mod seemingly does not corner as good...

I for one am crossing platforms and going with the kwak convo...

Its a bolt right in the exsisting holes job and the drive shaft will fit but from there on its all modding. Pump shoe has to be swapped out for the Plastic SJ item but this also needs glass work. The intake grate has to be modded as the SJ one is longer and mounts differently. Seemingly, there is a nightmare with the steering cables also. A lot of work compared to the kwak conversion. I have read many threads now on this subject and found that peeps seem to have better results from the kwak conversion as the SJ mod seemingly does not corner as good...

I for one am crossing platforms and going with the kwak convo...

With the use of the Pro-Tec steering nozzle and steering cable extension, our conversion is a straight bolt in pump mod. The hardest part is drilling the hole in your ride plate for the bolt on the steering nozzle to clear. The pump shoe mod and intake grate are optional, just depends on if you feel comfortable cutting the bottom of you boat apart, then re-glassing.

LIVE2RIDE Powersports

Live & Die 2 Ride
With the use of the Pro-Tec steering nozzle and steering cable extension, our conversion is a straight bolt in pump mod. The hardest part is drilling the hole in your ride plate for the bolt on the steering nozzle to clear. The pump shoe mod and intake grate are optional, just depends on if you feel comfortable cutting the bottom of you boat apart, then re-glassing.
I'm glad you cleared that up for me.

If the pump shoe change is optional, How much of a change is there between the two shoe's? Will i be able to feel the difference?

I'm glad you cleared that up for me.

If the pump shoe change is optional, How much of a change is there between the two shoe's? Will i be able to feel the difference?

I would just put the pump in first and give it a rip before you start cutting into your boat. You will be amazed at the difference just the pump will give you. Then later on down the line look into the pump shoe mod.

LIVE2RIDE Powersports

Live & Die 2 Ride
I would just put the pump in first and give it a rip before you start cutting into your boat. You will be amazed at the difference just the pump will give you. Then later on down the line look into the pump shoe mod.

Will do sir. Give me a week or so to pull the funds together and i will send off my pump.

Anyone need a sj shaft for a fx-1 shaft. Trade?

Top Bottom