Custom/Hybrid Zw-e.f.i.

No more MRD junk!!!!! The real deal is coming!

Nothing stopping him now except time. I talked Zac's ears off about it and he knows his chit!

Discuss!
ZW efi.jpg

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Meh. More electronics in constantly wet environment.
Novel if it works.
Cool if it gives added performance.
Great if it can do so as reliably as carbs.
Worth it if it's reasonably priced.

Problem is that the status quo works very well.

Cannibal

Tasty Human
I've always wanted to put together a Megasquirt system for a ski. I wonder if this is the system he's using.

PS: Don't google Megasquirt at work....you might come up with some interesting results.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
this might be a litte more enticing if it were installed/setup on a modern ski...

but an electronics mess wired up on an old clapped out kawi.......that picture screams WAD all day long

Modern ski? Thats an sxr?!?!?

Cool idea... looks costly.... and harder to adjust ....

He has it on a SX-R. ...and the ski itself is newer (04 and up to me is new! lol..) and clean and ridden moslty if not only in salt.

No megasquirt....100% cherry picked parts from various applications. 100% hand figured and typed code plopped on to a custom chip with laptop instant and real time tinkering.

Last edited:

Schmidty721

someone turf my rails
This makes me want to start my TL/EFI project. Too many iron's in the fire. I'm interested to hear more on this.

Efi creator

The ski it's in is an 08 SXR I stole the exhaust pipe from an old ski so I didn't screw mine up. Also if I want I can go back to carbs. Any How it rides GREAT. The Biggest issues I am currently facing is intake manifolds, charging and finished product.

1-I had to custom make the intake manifold for this EFI 800 motor. It needs a 60mm throttle body. I took an R &D single intake manifold machined it out to 60mm added a riser 2 bungs for the injectors and a mounting plate for the throttle body.
The throttle body has Idle control, TPS, MAP, MAF sensors the only thing integrated into the motor is the crank position sensor reads the stock pickup and The EGT sensor The engine temp sensor bolts to the head.

2 Charging my EFI system Uses just under 3 amps MAX. The SXR charges at 6.6 amps at 6000 rpm. Im no electrical guy and I have no idea what the charging capability of the SXR IS AT 3000 RPM OR 2500 RPM but its less than the EFI system and CDI use. ANSWER- TRIM THE FAT- Currently the CDI uses power that isn't necessary with the addition of 2 small coils the ECU will control all aspects of ignition determined by the ECU (guided by the USER) based on LOAD then the CDI and stock coil can be removed.

3 SO far I have made 1 system it still uses the stock CDI when the Single coils I ordered arrive I will completely remove the CDI and stock coil and replace it with the similar size ECU and both coils inside the stock E-BOX

The system is Very Complex and I am currently making it more simple. Trimming wires, fuel pump enclosure, and adding a WIDE band O2 sensor to relieve the user the burden of writing LOAD tables

IF produced it WILL NOT cost more then dual carbs

IF produced it would take the place of CDI BOX advent $500 and up BIG CARBS NOVIs $1200 and up IGNITION COIL $100 and up, STOCK YAM AIR BOXES $300and up for conversion kit. PRICE =2100 minus shipping

IF produced EFI will Cost less then 1200

-BENEFITS-
Protection Features included
-Engine Temp 205 degrees cuts the motor to limp mode, EGT if the motor is to lean the exhaust temp is to high the sensor tells the ECU to inject more fuel if the EGT doesn't drop the motor goes into limp mode at 3000 rpm and runs very rich. NO BURNT PISTONS
- The motor will never free rev or take off even with a massive air leak
- So far I have seen 20 to 30 % better fuel economy
- The motor Spins up MUCH faster
- INSTANT START
- Idles MUCH better- very smooth-
- NO carb tuning for altitude, temp or performance mods
- SELF TEST each time the system is turned on the fuel pump charges the system and the ECU does a self test on all sensors. If a sensor has malfuntioned plug a computer into the system and the tuning software will tell you what sensor is broken.
- All sensors can be easily purchased at any auto parts store I used all BOSCH or DEPHI sensors and injectors each individual sensor is 30 dollars or less that is MINUS auto zone or advance auto parts markup.

DRAWBACKS
- Instillation it took me a day
- I haven't seen any yet

Last edited:
The ski it's in is an 08 SXR I stole the exhaust pipe from an old ski so I didn't screw mine up. Also if I want I can go back to carbs. Any How it rides GREAT. The Biggest issues I am currently facing is intake manifolds, charging and finished product.

1-I had to custom make the intake manifold for this EFI 800 motor. It needs a 60mm throttle body. I took an R &D single intake manifold machined it out to 60mm added a riser 2 bungs for the injectors and a mounting plate for the throttle body.
The throttle body has Idle control, TPS, MAP, MAF sensors the only thing integrated into the motor is the crank position sensor reads the stock pickup and The EGT sensor The engine temp sensor bolts to the head.

2 Charging my EFI system Uses just under 3 amps MAX. The SXR charges at 6.6 amps at 6000 rpm. Im no electrical guy and I have no idea what the charging capability of the SXR IS AT 3000 RPM OR 2500 RPM but its less than the EFI system and CDI use. ANSWER- TRIM THE FAT- Currently the CDI uses power that isn't necessary with the addition of 2 small coils the ECU will control all aspects of ignition determined by the ECU (guided by the USER) based on LOAD then the CDI and stock coil can be removed.

3 SO far I have made 1 system it still uses the stock CDI when the Single coils I ordered arrive I will completely remove the CDI and stock coil and replace it with the similar size ECU and both coils inside the stock E-BOX

The system is Very Complex and I am currently making it more simple. Trimming wires, fuel pump enclosure, and adding a WIDE band O2 sensor to relieve the user the burden of writing LOAD tables

IF produced it WILL NOT cost more then dual carbs

IF produced it would take the place of CDI BOX advent $500 and up BIG CARBS NOVIs $1200 and up IGNITION COIL $100 and up, STOCK YAM AIR BOXES $300and up for conversion kit. PRICE =2100 minus shipping

IF produced EFI will Cost less then 1200

-BENEFITS-
Protection Features included
-Engine Temp 205 degrees cuts the motor to limp mode, EGT if the motor is to lean the exhaust temp is to high the sensor tells the ECU to inject more fuel if the EGT doesn't drop the motor goes into limp mode at 3000 rpm and runs very rich. NO BURNT PISTONS
- The motor will never free rev or take off even with a massive air leak
- So far I have seen 20 to 30 % better fuel economy
- The motor Spins up MUCH faster
- INSTANT START
- Idles MUCH better- very smooth-
- NO carb tuning for altitude, temp or performance mods
- SELF TEST each time the system is turned on the fuel pump charges the system and the ECU does a self test on all sensors. If a sensor has malfuntioned plug a computer into the system and the tuning software will tell you what sensor is broken.
- All sensors can be easily purchased at any auto parts store I used all BOSCH or DEPHI sensors and injectors each individual sensor is 30 dollars or less that is MINUS auto zone or advance auto parts markup.

DRAWBACKS
- Instillation it took me a day
- I haven't seen any yet

Last edited:
THAT SXR has only been ridden in freshwater 1 time since it was purchased and looks pristine

IF I had YAMAHA I WOULD MAKE A EFI FOR IT --- DONATIONS WELCOME---

THE NEXT motor that will be USED to test IS A DASA 992 stroker with PV-- The problem IS I don't have a 4th hull to put it in

Ok, My car fuels primarily off of a wideband o2 and a map sensor to read boost. (Bosh motronic me 7.5) If you go wideband how will you overcome water on the sensor? I know on a wet pipe the mist of water in the chamber actually comes back into the cylinder. ( the main reason a dry pipe is easier to burn down your motor) I just wonder about the accuracy of a wideband once you incorporate water into the exhaust mix over the sensor. Id love to run dual EGT sensors on my motor just to be safe.

Damn! something I've thought about for years but never had the capital to tackle. I hope this goes mainstream.

Will it be called a Zwefi? it's reasonably pronounceable.

Last edited:
Cool project.

A couple of questions. Why the single throttle body, and which throttle body are you currently using? How did you determine throttle body size requirement? What fuel pump are you using? What was your reasoning for your injector placement, or is injector placement not critical? Which injectors are you using?

People from Vegas should be all over EFI, since their carb'd two strokes won't be allowed on lake Mead next year.

Top Bottom