Other 01

1500 is pretty fair (maybe a tad on the high side) if it is in good running condition. The hull foam should be fine so long as he didn't poke any extra holes he didn't fill properly or leave the bilge full of water. That pipe may not use a water box, and that could be a reason for it being loud. I would try to see if he would do a compression test in front of you.

Does it have stainless steel impeller, aftermarket ride plate or intake grate? That would go a ways in better justifying the asking price.

What do you plan to use the ski for? Just rec riding, or...?

compression should be pretty close to 150 on each cylinder (about 125-130 per cylinder either check your compression guage or the engine is about due for a rebuild imo) or they should be within 5% of each other so like 145-150 is alright or something similar... yeah its a tad high but it looks to be in decent shape..your call but if you want a nice ski for that money save another 1000 and look for a superjet..

I'm not arguing the superiority of a Superjet to a like-model Kawi... as I'd definitely prefer a Superjet, but based on the price/stats listed of the kawi in the OP... Is it worth picking up? Would at least like to get some ride time in and show up to wavedaze with a capable Ski.

This was exactly my mindset when I bought my sxi. For me, its not a matter of "if", its a matter of "when" I'll pick up a RN SJ. After watching CL for about 6 months and only seeing a small handful of what I was looking for (none of which were within 200 miles of me), I decided I'd rather ride/wrench now and have some fun. I got a pretty good deal (I think) on my setup. MUCH cheaper than I could have bought a comparatively modded SJ. I figure this way; Now, I'm not in such a rush to buy the first SJ that comes along. Instead I can wait, save, and find a boat that I think will be a good fit. In the meantime, I'll be trying to freestyle a larger/heavier ski. Should make transitioning to the SJ that much easier! I'm glad I found the boat I did. It will make a great backup ski/friend's ski once I find that elusive SJ! I would say that 1500 sounds decent. Maybe a tad high like others have said, but before I found mine, I was prepared to pay up to 1500 as well!
Good luck!

if your going to be spending most of your time in the surf sj>750 period. There are too many reasons to list why this is the case. Flat water it is a different story, pretty much comes down to personal preference and how serious you are about progressing in the sport. Ive spent time on both, and each has their pros and cons. I own a 750sxi becasuse it was cheap, lots of top end (feels faster then the '11 sj i ride), and I spend all my time at the lake. I love the unstable ride the 750 has and love how I spent literally 1/6th the price of the sj for something that was just as fun to ride around the lake. Imo you should probably first decide what it is u want to achieve with a ski, then get the ski that best fits your goals.

^ used parts for a 750 are also relatively cheap if you plan on upgrading...everyone wants superjet aftermarket stuff so its obviously going to be more expensive...if your just looking for a good ski for now then the 750 isnt bad, but just keep your eye out for a superjet...also be prepared to drive if you really want to get a superjet, I drove to denver from minneapolis to go get my 97 and would do it again because of the price I got it for and the condition its in!

Congrats, post up some pics of the new addiction! haha If you have any questions with anything post em up, people are very knowledgable on here...I have personally hit about every snag building my 750 race ski possible and I think sxipro02 has probably the nicest freestyle 750 built and has probably tried about every freestyle part possible! haha Anyhow congrats on the new purchase and start saving some money because the upgrade bug is gunna bite you shortly if it hasnt already!!

Upgrades really depend on how crazy you want to get with it and personally I did alot of good parts (all R&D) on my 750 but not the super best of everything because I wanted to save money to upgrade my superjet with the best, so plan ahead basically is what im trying to get at! haha The ski has a coffman exhaust which is decent, the next best would be a factory pipe but would run you about 500 ish used..you said it has an aftermarket ride plate and grate so basically those are some of the first upgrades people do...ride it as is first and see how you like it, that would be my 2 cents...find out the type of plate and grate you have if you havent already...

The 1992 750s have the least desirable engines and ignitions. Their pumps do not work as well as Yamahas in rough water. If it is loud then it has no waterbox.

550/440

Maybe I'll get it all the way around NEXT time....
Everyone trash talks the 750 for surf riding. I loved mine, it was a blast. The Pirahna jumped high, had plenty of juice, and only broke a few times (not bad for a 20 year old ski). The one thing I noticed on all the ski's I've seen, SJ's have horrible hood seals, and fill with water quick. On the plus side, they are much lighter and more nimble for doing stunts.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
SJ I have yet to ride a 750 that I like....

Weird powerband, odd sterring,

They are fun to carve in the turns I guess.

I would wait for an SJ, be ready to travel. You will find one.

The 1992 750s have the least desirable engines and ignitions. Their pumps do not work as well as Yamahas in rough water. If it is loud then it has no waterbox.

Don't listen to this nonsense-- the 92 is ported for the best bottom end. You can add a fixed timing advance or find a CDI out of a '96+ SXI or '03 SXR and have nice timing curve-- it is a straight swap. Put a single 44 or 46 mikuni, factory limited pipe and mill that stock head that thing will have loads of bottom end. That thing should already have an 82mm reduction nozzle, but could prob be bored out a tad more if you are looking for the most bottom end.

Kevbo, you crushed my dreams and ruined my hopes of going pro....

JK. Suck it. :)

p.s. on another note: You seem to very knowledgeable, but you have to be the biggest negative bumble bee in the hive here.. man oh man, search on all your posts... Gimme a goddamn smilee face there kev'ster! :D

Hopefully the pistons and busted case were replaced when it was still under warranty. I still have my early 92 piston with its paper thin skirt. The 93s were much thicker. A newer CDI will improve reliability and performance. A modern impeller and grate is needed for good thrust. If I seem negative it is simply because every kid on the beach has a broken ski.

sxi steve

Life's short, have fun.
Don't listen to this nonsense-- the 92 is ported for the best bottom end. You can add a fixed timing advance or find a CDI out of a '96+ SXI or '03 SXR and have nice timing curve-- it is a straight swap. Put a single 44 or 46 mikuni, factory limited pipe and mill that stock head that thing will have loads of bottom end. That thing should already have an 82mm reduction nozzle, but could prob be bored out a tad more if you are looking for the most bottom end.

^ Agree.

BTW..., Tubby 2s were worth every penny, excellent mod!

Last edited:
Top Bottom