1990 SJ SN Freestyle, First Ski, First Build

Tuxie

Square Hipster
K, like I said in the title this is my first ski, and my first build. Feel free to critique me on anything but my speeling, as that would be just a waste of your time.

Bought this ski out Wisconsin, had it shipped to Alberta, rode it for a season and found it to be a tight solid unit, though lacking some power.

The plans are as follows; reinforce hull, fabricate atleast one handhold, paint (ghetto rattle can appliance epoxy), Have cylinder bored out to 701cc, porting, decking.....etc., carb re-jetted, cooling system upgrade, priming kit, intake mod, new solas impeller repitched by Group K, Intake grate, Ride plate, flywheel lightened. Already has a bilge installed. new pump cone, and a few other tidbits along the way.

This is a pic before I do anything

The plans are as follows; reinforce hull, fabricate atleast one handhold, paint (ghetto rattle can appliance epoxy), Have cylinder bored out to 701cc, porting, decking.....etc., carb re-jetted, cooling system upgrade, priming kit, intake mod, new solas impeller repitched by Group K, Intake grate, Ride plate, flywheel lightened. Already has a bilge installed. new pump cone, and a few other tidbits along the way.
Personally I would buy a good used 701 cyl. and pistons rather than boring your 650 cyl.
I doubt you'll need a cooling system upgrate either. Sounds like you're on the right track to a fun ski, and welcome to the X.

Tuxie

Square Hipster
OK, got the easy work out of the way, tore everything out. Cleaned up inside the hull, removed all the parts that I will be sending out to Group K, got some fiberglass panels / carbon fiber from blowison, plus new handlebar grips. Ordered pump cone from blowsion along with new black chin pad cover to match the new color of ski. Also found while inspecting reed valve assembly, one of the assembly's in between the actual reed valve is cracked off. Ordered new one along with new gaskets from riva. Waiting on epoxy resin from US composites.

Tuxie

Square Hipster
Personally I would buy a good used 701 cyl. and pistons rather than boring your 650 cyl.
I doubt you'll need a cooling system upgrate either. Sounds like you're on the right track to a fun ski, and welcome to the X.

Thanks been hiding out in the shadows, but started working on the build and then thought about all the builds I looked at on this site, decided to snap a few pics and post them.

Tuxie

Square Hipster
Did some prep work on the outside of the hull for when I paint, removed decals, light sanding, running out of things to do until I get my epoxy, will probably work on handholds but again won't be able to finish that until epoxy arrives.

If I where you I would try and find a set of 61x cases and 61x cylinders rather than boring out your 650 cylinder and 6M6 bottom end. Everything will swap over just fine and it will be a better platform to start with. Plus you can still get the 61x cylinder ported and your that much further ahead. I would seriously consider going this route, I can't imagine price wise it would be much different than sending your stuff to group K. Just my opinion...take it for what its worth.

Tuxie

Square Hipster
Appreciate the info, still going with the original plan, kinda have to stuff is already in the mail, the kicker for me is that I already know that the head, cylinder, crank are all in superb condition. Its also nice that they only have to modify the top end. Cost is 766, and I realize you can probably get a 701cc case, cylinder, head, for that price, but from what I read, and feel free to flame this comment, if you bore out a 633 to 701 and do some other basic top end mods you will blow away stock 701's. Do the same mods to that stock 701 and it will only be slightly faster.

http://www.groupk.com/y633-701.htm

Tuxie

Square Hipster
OK, need some help, anyone got a good way to remove the inner panel of the hood to work on hand holds, tried air chisel guess it could work but I must have been doing somthing wrong.

Dirtybird

Ex*ta*ski
I used a cut off wheel on a grinder to cut out the liner as close as i could,then ground off the rest of the glue. Very messy job. Then cut the holds and made new liner.

Attachments

• PICT1194.jpg
    PICT1194.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 82
  • PICT1270.JPG
    PICT1270.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 90
  • PICT1254.JPG
    PICT1254.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 84
  • PICT1269.JPG
    PICT1269.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 76
  • PICT1356.JPG
    PICT1356.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 101

Tuxie

Square Hipster
Dirtybird your a god send, pics are great and good to know thats it not just me who thinks this part is a bitchy bitch.

Tuxie

Square Hipster
Ok, so started working on the hood as I am still waiting on my US composites order, not that it is overdo I am just always this inpatient. The plan is to basically do whats on romick991's website, as well I got some great advice from dirtybird.

Started by removing stock decals and giving light sanding.

Little did I know that was going to be the easy part. Started on removing the inner lining. A real bitchy bitch, glad I did as Dirtybird and his bro did with the angle grinder, using both the cutting discs and grinding discs, though the dust really sucked some hardcore ass:skull2:

Kennay

Squarenose for the _____
The hammer technique to remove the hoodliner > the grinder technique

:D

The thing just smashes right apart. You could have been done in 5 minutes.

Tuxie

Square Hipster
your probably right, but I did go at it with the air chisel and it really did'nt do much of anything, though it was'nt the shapest chisel. When you used the chisel did you attack the glue or try and cut out sections of the linner?

Also I think spent to much time trying to remove all evidence of the liner and green goop. From the pics I have been looking at on other builds they seem to be leaving more of the liner and glue in.

Tuxie

Square Hipster
So heres the progress.

Cut out the Vents

Taped the outside with cardboard wrapped in tin foil.

Layed three layers of glass on the inside

On the outside used a long strand bondo resin filler.

Then sanded filled with normal resin/silica thickener, sanded, filled again and sanded once more.

I made up some templates from the Romick site, great site by the way. and played around with locations

Cutting went well with the jig saw

Tuxie

Square Hipster
K here is the latest progress, though there has'nt been that much.

Finished both sides of the handhold inserts, not sure if I made them strong enough though, two layers of mat and one layer of cloth, might put them in as a form that I just leave in and fiberglass over them with a better combination of materials.

Also on the other areas of this build my parts have arrived at group K, three weeks till they send them back, probably get them back in a month. Been really debating over the hull ribs, by the way I am a master-debater, my father suggested leaving them in and use a auto body filler to lessen the abrupt coutures it creates, I tend to agree with him, but would think if when I cut the cloth in place and made little slits where the ribs are I could make a real smooth application of fiberglass. Lastly I need a little guidence on the CDI mod, I think I understand both methods but not sure witch one to go with, I guess reliablilty is pretty inportant to me, and my ski will ocasionly be rode by my wife and others.

So this post is kinda me at a crossroads on various issues I hope to spawn a little debate that will hopefully lead me in the right direction

Attachments

• 100_3024.jpg
    100_3024.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_3025.jpg
    100_3025.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_3026.jpg
    100_3026.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_3028.jpg
    100_3028.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 41

Tuxie

Square Hipster
well finally got in contact with US composites, only took a day and a half to find out that they had not shipped my order, even though 17 days earlier I received a email that said they had confirmed my order and it would be sent out in 48 hours. There reasoning was they could'nt ship via USPS and were'nt sure if I wanted UPS, so instead of calling or emailing they chose to do nothing. This puts me in a bit of pickle, I know there product to be superior at less of a price then my local fiberglass supply store but I can't just wait another couple of weeks and sit on my hands for this package. Not sure if I will deal with this company again, even though everything else I have heard about them is good.

Another place you may want to try is composites canada...they are out our end of the country but believe they ship all over. They've been real helpful every time I have been in there...doesn't look like there sight offers online ordering but give them a call and I am sure they can help you out.www.compositescanada.com

I usually go with the system three general epoxy....seems to have worked fine for me so far. Maybe a little more expensive than UScomposites but what do you expect up here in canada. Although it will probably ship to you faster with not having to cross the border. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom