2 strokes might survive beyond 2006...

Eleven

Cripple
Not sure it's "newsworthy" but oh well, I am sure it will be moved if need be.

Well apparently someone decided to bend the rule a little and offer the manufacturers who redeem themselves by producing a majority of extra clean skis will be allowed a few dirty ones.

Like what was done for a few SXRs in Kalifornia in 2003.

Hence the SJ and SXR might finally not die in 2007 and if the new X2 sells well in Japan it should be for sale in 2007....

So the good news is that our dear skis wouldn't disappear yet but the bad news is that it won't push Kawasaki and Yamaha to offer new 2 strokes EFI or 4 strokes stand ups.

Also the Hydrospace menace/motivation to innovate vanishes with the announcement from the APBA that it will not be allowed in stock class.
Because in Limited and SS piped SXRs do good enough against the HS.
In stock though the situation is different and the HS has such an advantage it would have inclined the OEMs to try to compete.

Well that motivation is gone now.

So you think the SJ will reach its 20th year?

waxhead

wannabe backflipper
Its awesome news
where is mommar so we can tell him
i bet you have already pmed him with the good news
Keep the superjet coming

Eleven

Cripple
Mile I am not SURE, but I have seen an 06 SJ with a vin # ending by 06, it came from a dealer in AZ, so it means they're already selling 06 models that aren't EPA 2006 compliant.

I didn't get what it was about so I called a few people and that's what I gathered.

Submarine

Dollar Ballerina
I think they should allow two strokes in the standups and make everything else 4.
EFI would be nice but I can't get excited about a 4 stroke standup.

SeaLion

Jet Ski Junkie
Yes the 2 stroke stand up lives on! Now if we can get the new X-2 in the USA, I would be very stoked!

Eleven

Cripple
waxhead said:
Im with you sub
i want a two stroke in the superjet for a while
nice and light

And also SIMPLER, easy to clear up from water ingestion on the beach and go back to ride.

On a 4 strokes water ingestion means your day is over.

And last but not least, you can rebuild a stand up 2 strokes motor for 1000$ with good quality parts and be back on the water the next week, blow a 4 strokes and you're in for a STEEP repair bill...

S

sunny_az

'06 2-strokes built on or before 12/31/05 are legal for sale in the US.

As of 1/1/06, non-highway 2 stroke production(for sale within the US) was to be discontinued.

I hope the manufacturers paid the ransom, judging by Supercross field they didn't need to. Could barely hear the 2 or 3 2-strokes in the "Lite" class.
"Lite", lol.

Takeastand SJ

R.I.P. 8/9/2008
I hope we have 2 strokes as long as possible, I don't see a 4 stroke in the near future being able to handle being upside down in the surf. I am a die hard 2 stroke fan, one of the few who refuse to get rid of my YZ250. I rode a 250F and it was no fun without a gnarly powerband. F 4strokes!

S

sunny_az

Kawi says they will sell 2 strokes in '07. Don't know how, how many or what models, but the word is they'll be there.

:cheer:

freestylegeek

waiting...
SeaLion said:
Yes the 2 stroke stand up lives on! Now if we can get the new X-2 in the USA, I would be very stoked!

Unfortunatly, that will not happen.
(I found that out last week).
Because of the 'rule bending' that eleven spoke of, Kawasaki is VERY strict on how many 2-stroke models they will offer.
They have an internal quatity limit that they set in order to keep looking good.
So, they basically have the SX-R and the 900stx.
They 'think' that the x-2 sales would cut into the SX-R sales (I strongly disagree), but beyond that, they can only sell 'x' amount of 2-strokes in the US per model year.
Beleive me, there are plenty of people here on the inside that are not too happy about it either.
As soon as the SX-R stops making power on every stroke (goes 4-stroke), then we will see the X-2 in the US.

Don't hold your breath though.

Top Bottom