Super Jet 2011 superjet, all stock very unstable ride

I have a 2013 and 1990. The 13 plants way better, stays in the water withouth bounching out, sticks in the turns without sliding and pulling 180's. Was there a cross wind or something more maybe going on? Cause my 13 stock kills the older SJ's i road that my friends had. Only thing that sucks on it is the steering is delayed feeling. I spoke to Wamilton on the phone for a good 40 min's about this issue which he is making me a bracket and sending me a older OEM cable. He found the 13's have a FX1 steering cable in them. Yamaha budget cuts are greattttt.

my cousin had a 2009 roundie that was all stock, i got to ride it a few times and i remember it being much more stable than this one.. it did however have the very slow steering.. but it didnt chine walk.. ive also ridden several other newer hull rns that didnt do this.. thats why i started this thread in the first place

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
He found the 13's have a FX1 steering cable in them. Yamaha budget cuts are greattttt.

There is a lot more to it than that. It started in 2008 and the main reason for using that cable is that they have a shorter pole than in previous years. Yamaha just used the FX1 setup because it was shorter already.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Same pole setup that the FX1 used. They had the parts and molds already in hand. Heck. They may not have even made any new pole base and heads. They may be left over from production of the FX1

Big Kahuna

Administrator
You have to ride this hull more aggressively. They designed this hull for us. It is meant to be ripped and slashed. Not putting around the lake. On a race course this is an incredible hull. I still prefer the SXR but only because I like how forgiving it is. If I was in race shape like I was my last full year racing (06) this hull would have been nice.

You have to ride this hull more aggressively. They designed this hull for us. It is meant to be ripped and slashed. Not putting around the lake. On a race course this is an incredible hull. I still prefer the SXR but only because I like how forgiving it is. If I was in race shape like I was my last full year racing (06) this hull would have been nice.

Yep well said. I do notice that it demands being cut and slammed into the turns. I ran the course this past weekend it's incredible the way my 13 handles and sticks in the water!

sjetrider

615 Freeriders are addicted to T1 madness.
the wobble and shake could be a pump / bearing issue as well. if it quits hooking up it will not handle well at all. his prop could be trashed or midshaft / pump bearings trashed, could be anything.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
the wobble and shake could be a pump / bearing issue as well. if it quits hooking up it will not handle well at all. his prop could be trashed or midshaft / pump bearings trashed, could be anything.

First time I rode Barbara's 08 I noticed the distinct Chine Walk/Wobble if you were just putting along. You get on it and slam turns and it comes to life.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
my guess the water hits the built in Tubbies and you get Deflection. I noticed this on my SXR if I was WOT in glass conditions and chopped the throttle. hell, I got pitched off several times when I was not paying attention.

I noticed my 08 with destroyers will wobble on glassy water if cruising. Best way to stop it is get on the throttle and shred some turns.

2013 Superjet - I'm experiencing the same issues after making the D-CUT in my rideplate bigger. No issues with wobbling previously . Went out on Sunday and the wobble was very noticeable. Felt like I was going to fall over the whole time even under accelaration the ski was completley unbalanced.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
2013 Superjet - I'm experiencing the same issues after making the D-CUT in my rideplate bigger. No issues with wobbling previously . Went out on Sunday and the wobble was very noticeable. Felt like I was going to fall over the whole time even under accelaration the ski was completley unbalanced.

Do you understand. What D cutting a plate does?

Yes puts the pump in deeper and lifts the nose... so far I've only d cut it not shortened at all. Also I am 6, 2 foot and 96 kgs. Should I try to shorten the plate as well

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Let me try and explain the wobble... best way to describe it is a pendulum motion from left to right. I have to constantly step left and right to keep her balanced. Im starting to suspect that the bond rail has something to do with it. Being 6, 2 foot and close to a 100kg's would make the nose sit much higher after making the d cut bigger

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!

Yes puts the pump in deeper and lifts the nose... so far I've only d cut it not shortened at all. Also I am 6, 2 foot and 96 kgs. Should I try to shorten the plate as well

Let me try and explain the wobble... best way to describe it is a pendulum motion from left to right. I have to constantly step left and right to keep her balanced. Im starting to suspect that the bond rail has something to do with it. Being 6, 2 foot and close to a 100kg's would make the nose sit much higher after making the d cut bigger

See previous posts...

Same issues with my '10 SJ when I first got it. I traced the problem to the rear bondrail. I cut reliefs in the back corner to allow water to flow out straight instead of grabbing the rail. Never had the "wobble" again. The rear of the 08+ SJ bottom hulls are also quite a bit narrower than the previous years causing the rear to sit a bit more in the water.

this makes a lot of sense! i may get him to do this mod.. he doesnt want to do anything to if it he can help it wants to keep it all stock.. ive been riding and working on skis for several years now, wouldnt call myself a newbie any longer.. i also noticed the ski sits with a lean to the right a little while sitting in the water.. ive seen some skis do this so that could be normal..

i had a good feeling you'd say it was pretty smooth... that's the only time i've noticed my 2012 do it... almost like it's something with the way the hull breaks the surface tension or something... ive noticed it doesn't do it with a full tank of fuel, seems to start around 1/2ish tank(maybe weight transfer or something)... now that it's been mentioned it kind of makes sense where it might be the rear bond rail lip... have more weight on the front, you'll ride more level, less fuel, the back will ride lower... one side catches and starts the rock then the other side returns it... i just turffed the thing a week ago.. oh well, i'm going to chop the rear lip... hah

Just so you know, you don't have to chop the whole rear lip. I just kinda looked down the sides if the ski under the bond rail and got an idea of where to cut, then used a dremel to grind out only where the water would hit.

Vumad

Super Hero, with a cape!
Hey D where's your rideplate... thanks a mil for the pic and advice. On my way to put a bit of relief in.

I'm sure it's off for some maintenance or work. No-one rides w/o a ride plate. Going shorter on the ride plate will not help your problem.

icecoled007

Captain of this ship
Same issues with my '10 SJ when I first got it. I traced the problem to the rear bondrail. I cut reliefs in the back corner to allow water to flow out straight instead of grabbing the rail. Never had the "wobble" again. The rear of the 08+ SJ bottom hulls are also quite a bit narrower than the previous years causing the rear to sit a bit more in the water.

I didnt know this... good insight

Top Bottom