2015 Super Jet

cmlangdale

username ^ stuff I say >
My buddy and I drove up to Minnesota in March and picked up some leftover in the crate '14s for $6350.00 out the door. Had to pay sales tax in Nebraska though... which is outrageous! I had no intentions of buying a new ski anytime soon, but when we came across this deal we couldn't pass it up.

That's awesome you got some '15s for $6k!

a%3E

a%3E

a%3E

I hope yours arrived better than mine. I bought from heinenmotorsports. Good deal on what should have been a new-condition ski. They shipped mine via Road Runner Transportation Systems. RRTS has a not-so-good reputation on claims. On the way here it was deferred to other shipping companies.

It arrived with a fairly good smack to the metal crate that they ship it in. Managed to scar the bottom and lower sides up pretty good - blew right through the paint, probably with a forklift. Took pictures and had a damage report called in before I accepted it.

Despite noting the damage at delivery, generating an "exception" with the transport company, and getting more than one requested estimate on repair - they've shown no indication that they're willing to cover the damage. They seem to be hiding behind having the transport company pay them for shipping damage before they'll pay me. Unfortunately, paint work is expensive. They're indicating that the cost to repair is too high compared to the "amount" of damage and likely to be rejected as a claim.

And I've waited more than 6 weeks to give 'em a chance to make it right before posting this. No such luck.

The good news is that it seems to be cosmetic - but will probably need to be sealed up so it doesn't further chip off.

I was told "a few weeks" they'd get back to me on covering it. That was 6 weeks ago.
I have the actual shipping invoice. I was charged 87% more than the actual shipping cost - if they wanted to insure their shipments with a someone who actually pays claims, they money was there.

Here's a look at the crate and some of the damage. It's got scrapes all the way back to the ride plate.

uZFpHzd.jpg

ZnMWTci.jpg

68ionQr.jpg

Last edited:
I hope yours arrived better than mine. I bought from heinenmotorsports. Good deal on what should have been a new-condition ski. They shipped mine via Road Runner Transportation Systems. RRTS has a not-so-good reputation on claims. On the way here it was deferred to other shipping companies.

It arrived with a fairly good smack to the metal crate that they ship it in. Managed to scar the bottom and lower sides up pretty good - blew right through the paint, probably with a forklift. Took pictures and had a damage report called in before I accepted it.

Despite noting the damage at delivery, generating an "exception" with the transport company, and getting more than one requested estimate on repair - they've shown no indication that they're willing to cover the damage. They seem to be hiding behind having the transport company pay them for shipping damage before they'll pay me. Unfortunately, paint work is expensive. They're indicating that the cost to repair is too high compared to the "amount" of damage and likely to be rejected as a claim.

And I've waited more than 6 weeks to give 'em a chance to make it right before posting this. No such luck.

The good news is that it seems to be cosmetic - but will probably need to be sealed up so it doesn't further chip off.

I was told "a few weeks" they'd get back to me on covering it. That was 6 weeks ago.
I have the actual shipping invoice. I was charged 87% more than the actual shipping cost - if they wanted to insure their shipments with a someone who actually pays claims, they money was there.

Here's a look at the crate and some of the damage. It's got scrapes all the way back to the ride plate.

uZFpHzd.jpg

ZnMWTci.jpg

68ionQr.jpg
thats sucks man, my crate was mangled when i picked it up from the shipper. I almost had a heart attack, but everything was fine, nothing more then a few very light scratches on the bottom. Have you called Heinens yet?

thats sucks man, my crate was mangled when i picked it up from the shipper. I almost had a heart attack, but everything was fine, nothing more then a few very light scratches on the bottom. Have you called Heinens yet?

I called Heinens immediately - sent them a copy of the invoice with the damage exception indicated as well as photos of the damage. They were good about communicating about it. They requested that I get an estimate to repair it, which is a bit hard to do on a superjet.. You can't exactly take it to your neighborhood SuperJet shop so I spent a good amount of time taking to a metro area locating a shop. I eventually found a certified shop that would give me an estimate - basically a re-paint of the bottom, which isn't cheap. Heinens said "your estimate will probably be rejected as it's too high / out of line with damage" - so I got a 2nd opinion for a boat/gelcoat shop (I know it's not gelcoat). That estimate was higher. Heinens said they'd submit a claim to their shipper and would get back to me "in a few weeks" - that was over eight weeks ago.... I assume it was rejected.

I've offered to let them send someone out or to call and confirm my estimates.

I think they've had a reasonable amount of time to take care of it. They appear to be indicating that it'll be taken care of if their shipper covers it. That's not how it works - they're responsible until it reaches my door.

i found unless you talk to Monte no one will help you. After 3 weeks of waiting for shipping info i called and no one had a clue what i was talking about. i Finally got answers when i talked to him, i also had a few bolts missing off my nozzle but he took care of it.

It's Monte that I've been talking to. I've had no complaints about his communication until about 8 weeks ago. The issue seems to be that they'll cover it IF the shipper covers it... And that shipper - looking at their reputation for covering damage, it's pretty darn awful.

Honestly, I'd probably "settle" it for less than estimates, but after 8 weeks of waiting, I'm ready to share my experience.

I would be sick about this if it happened to me. By now I would send the dealer and the trucking company a certified letter demanding the claim be paid to include the time you took to get estimates. If they don't respond let them know you will be filing a small claims case in the letter. It will cost them more in travel expenses to represent themselves than to pay the claim. I know it was a good price but I would want to send that back and get my money from the dealer. Let them have the stress over it.

That's the nuclear option.

However, I have no contract with the trucking company. I didn't contract with them and didn't pay them. Probably can't successfully sue them.

My contract / invoice was with Heinens. I paid Heinens to deliver it. Because they do a large amount of internet business, buyer jurisdiction can apply in terms of civil.

I'm aware of some options there, but it would be unfortunate to use them.

A good business doesn't make their customers go through that hoop and recognizes that their responsibility ends after it's delivered. Especially when marking up shipping by 85%.

I had the same thing happen to me with a KTM 65 I bought out of state. Shipping company took zero care with the bike that was in the factory box. Shipping company was slow to pay the claim so at the 4 week mark I wrote the letter. The day they received it my phone was ringing with them offering to settle. You have been more than patient waiting 8 weeks. The dealer picked the shipping company and should stand behind the shippers carelessness and make it right.

I've sent them a demand letter and they've responded to a BBB complaint:

The reply appears to be the same - they feel that the estimates are out of line with the damage. Cost to professionally repair various deep scratches and re-paint the bottom of a superjet, factory decals, comes in between $1600-$2000 (retail). It's expensive, but I know I've paid more for a quarter panel repair and color match on a car.

Note, I've offered to make it available for inspection by an insurance estimator as they think the estimates are out of line. They haven't taken me up on that. So I'm stuck with "estimates are too high"..

They've told me that Maaco thinks the estimates are high. I'm not entirely sure Maaco is capable of returning anything to like-new condition. Nor am I sure that Maaco would even work on a watercraft.

I was told that they'd submit a claim on 9/24 to their shipper, but according to the shipper, no claim was ever received. Based on the reputation of the shipper, I understand why they don't bother.

Largely this was a great deal on a new superjet with zero responsibility after they received payment for the condition it actually arrived in. Beware, pick up yourself, or arrange your own shipping!

There's a place in MI that had a 14 advertised at around $5974 "no haggle price" after all the fees taxes etc it jumped to $7600 and I would still have to pay an additional 1 percent in tax in IN. Do most dealers set there own set-up fees

Generally you'll pay taxes in the dealer's state OR your state. You shouldn't ever pay tax in both. In my case (internet transaction), I didn't get charged tax. I did get charged a setup fee and some other fees such as shipping (75% margin on that). That's $1600 in fees is pretty high - break it down and I'm sure people will comment.

I never got a breakdown actually never even called them back after getting a voicemail at $7600. Since MI tax is 6 percent and IN is 7 that's why he said I'd have to pay the additional 1

You just need to show that tax was paid on the purchase. If you pay tax in state A, state B doesn't get to assess the difference. However, there would be registration costs in your state.
Likely if you picked it up in person, you'd pay MI tax. If they ship it to you out of state, they shouldn't charge you MI tax and you'd pay IN tax when you register.

Thanks for asking. I had to hire an attorney. After hiring an attorney, I started making a little progress. I believe we're going on almost 1/2 a year now.

The last offer was that I return it and they'd refund my full purchase price, but won't do anything about the damage. They won't cover any taxes or registration paid (about $500) - and I get to figure out how to get those back myself, assuming that part of it can be recovered.

I went for it, not because I thought that it was a good offer, but because I didn't feel comfortable suing if they were going to claim that they offered a "full refund". They were paying for return shipping. They arranged to have me bring it to a local dealer (about 2 hour round trip) and indicated that the they were making payment to that dealer:

"Your check payment will held at [X dealer] in Austin Texas with [employee] for the amount of [total payment]"

So I went to drop it off. Only problem was that they forgot about the payment part. The guy making arrangements at the local dealer said they'd been instructed to pack it and have it transported, no arrangements of any kind for payment.

This could perhaps be yet another misunderstanding and they meant that they'd send the local dealer a check after they got it back, but you be the judge based on the quoted statement.

I'm afraid I'm unwilling to ship it back and then wait on payment from them. That just sounds like a bad idea at this point. They've indicated that they're going to inspect it for "sabotage" - when we're discussing a return and such is their point of view, I have concerns. I have no concerns about having it inspected locally, that'd be fine.

So no.. Not resolved. Still paying an attorney. This business is absolutely impressive in terms of knowing how to drag things out.

Their reviews stay largely unimpacted. For instance, Google has a bunch of 5-star reviews about 2 months ago. Here are the links to the reviewers, who love to give out 5-star reviews all over the county... and this was just a quick look:
Reviewer1
Reviewer2
Reviewer3
Reviewer4

Last edited:
Top Bottom