550sx to 750 "All or Nothing" build

Myself

manic mechanic
I don't know how much Tigershark stuff you still have laying around but the models with the stainless steel exhaust the cone is a bit longer and a bit larger in diameter , it will still fit in the 650SX rubber coupler though, it's a quick cheap fix for adding length to the stock pipe that it is not well known, I found it just like you are doing , by swapping parts and seeing what fits.
I actually remember you posting that in the past. I have some nice Shark projects around (Ts1100R), but the only 640 stuff left is the larger Daytona style cast aluminum pipe. If I can hone in my TIG skills, I have a trick up my sleeve for this exhaust.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I actually remember you posting that in the past. I have some nice Shark projects around (Ts1100R), but the only 640 stuff left is the larger Daytona style cast aluminum pipe. If I can hone in my TIG skills, I have a trick up my sleeve for this exhaust.
I have some still laying around if you want to try one but it will be a minute before I head back up to the lake to get it . ATM they don't want me driving over an hour at a time and its about an hour and a half to two hour trip.

LMK

WFO Speedracer

I also got the e-box relocation bracket from RCJS. Looks like it will work just fine. The starter terminal JUST touches the rubber pipe coupler but when everything is bolted during final assembly I'm sure there's at least that much play I can find in the motor plate positioning. And it seems there is still ample room to access the battery.
Is that electrical box getting moved over, it looks like really close quarters to the exhaust in that pic, I am just asking because it has piqued my interest on the 750 manifold -head pipe combo.

Myself

manic mechanic
Everything was just mocked up.....nothing really bolted solid. The terminal really was just touching, not digging into the rubber. I could find an easy 1/8" of clearance sliding the motor plate forward on the mounts. I've ordered a piece of .010" stainless shim stock to make a headpipe gasket with no water holes. Obviously I need to drill a water hole in the 750 headpipe. The "adapter" as you probably already know is the center gutted out of the stock 750 rubber coupler. And 2" rubber slides right over it and the 650sx chamber. I'm really scratching my head here trying to figure out why everybody pays good money for an aftermarket exhaust manifold when these will fit and they're a dime a dozen. Maybe it's just bragging rights on throwing around name brands?....Or maybe I'm the first thrifty, problem solving, type of guy to actually try it?!. If that's the case we'll name it "PWCr's 750 conversion manifold".

WFO Speedracer

Everything was just mocked up.....nothing really bolted solid. The terminal really was just touching, not digging into the rubber. I could find an easy 1/8" of clearance sliding the motor plate forward on the mounts. I've ordered a piece of .010" stainless shim stock to make a headpipe gasket with no water holes. Obviously I need to drill a water hole in the 750 headpipe. The "adapter" as you probably already know is the center gutted out of the stock 750 rubber coupler. And 2" rubber slides right over it and the 650sx chamber. I'm really scratching my head here trying to figure out why everybody pays good money for an aftermarket exhaust manifold when these will fit and they're a dime a dozen. Maybe it's just bragging rights on throwing around name brands?....Or maybe I'm the first thrifty, problem solving, type of guy to actually try it?!. If that's the case we'll name it "PWCr's 750 conversion manifold".

I wouldn't know this Superjet I am building is the only ski I have ever put an aftermarket manifold on, of course on those there isn't much of a choice, the 300SX is running a ported and polished stock diverter manifold opened up slightly.

I can see where the extra volume in those 750 manifolds and head pipe could be a huge benefit.

The only drawback I see here is that the long exhaust studs on the 750 manifolds means the manifold cannot be removed or installed with the engine still in the ski.

Last edited:

Myself

manic mechanic
I got some more time in today. All the sticky goo is gone off the hull, and I got almost all the glue residue out of the tray. Tomorrow..........hood and pole.

Attachments

• GOPR1527.JPG
    GOPR1527.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 55
  • GOPR1529.JPG
    GOPR1529.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 46
  • GOPR1528.JPG
    GOPR1528.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 35

Myself

manic mechanic
I got the hood and pole de-stickered today. I took a chance on these gimicky fabric sanding discs at Home Depot.......they're great! Buy u some! I did a rough sand of the whole topside, and even started some of the bilge.

Attachments

• GOPR1533.JPG
    GOPR1533.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 35
  • GOPR1534.JPG
    GOPR1534.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 34
  • GOPR1535.JPG
    GOPR1535.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 29
  • GOPR1541.JPG
    GOPR1541.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 31
  • GOPR1542.JPG
    GOPR1542.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 34

Myself

manic mechanic
Found a few stressed areas but nothing real bad. Easy fixes since I'm doing glasswork anyway.

Attachments

• GOPR1536.JPG
    GOPR1536.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 32
  • GOPR1537.JPG
    GOPR1537.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 29
  • GOPR1540.JPG
    GOPR1540.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 28
  • GOPR1539.JPG
    GOPR1539.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 28
  • GOPR1538.JPG
    GOPR1538.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 36

Myself

manic mechanic
New waterbox came yesterday. Anybody recognize it? Super lightweight, unbaffled, no markings of any kind. Oem fiberglass only has 1-5/16" inlet and 1-1/2" outlet ID. This one has 1-5/8 ID on both. I know that doesn't sound like much difference, but that's a 17% increase in sectional area.......which equates to OVER a 30% increase in flow!

Attachments

• GOPR1547.JPG
    GOPR1547.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 37

Myself

manic mechanic
I took advantage of the warm(er) weather and washed a bunch of parts today. I don't know what that whitish residue was on the hoses but I had to scotchbrite that crap off.

Attachments

• GOPR1548.JPG
    GOPR1548.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 33
  • GOPR1549.JPG
    GOPR1549.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 32

Myself

manic mechanic
I also put the flap disc in the angle grinder and cleaned up the "PWCr" conversion exhaust manifold. This kind of stuff bothers me on a custom build. It looks much nicer with the casting smoothed out.
And I also added some 'adjustment' for the exhaust chamber mounting.

Attachments

• GOPR1550.JPG
    GOPR1550.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 31
  • GOPR1552.JPG
    GOPR1552.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 30
  • GOPR1551.JPG
    GOPR1551.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 27
  • GOPR1553.JPG
    GOPR1553.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 36

Myself

manic mechanic
I decided to get the grinding out of the way today. Most jet pumps can benefit from casting cleanup, the rough water hookup is noticeably improved. I knocked this pump out in about 45 minutes. I do a full 'blueprint' on my personal machines which can take 4-5 times that long. Check out that pile of shavings just from smoothing the casting marks.

Attachments

• GOPR1554.JPG
    GOPR1554.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 33
  • GOPR1555.JPG
    GOPR1555.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 33
  • GOPR1556.JPG
    GOPR1556.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 31
  • GOPR1557.JPG
    GOPR1557.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 31
  • GOPR1558.JPG
    GOPR1558.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 29
  • GOPR1559.JPG
    GOPR1559.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 31
  • GOPR1560.JPG
    GOPR1560.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 35

Myself

manic mechanic
Next up was chamfering the port edges of the freshly bored cylinder. I also gasket matched the exhaust ports, and widened the bottom half of the exhaust ports a tiny bit. That'll bring in a tad more bottom oomph.

Attachments

• GOPR1566.JPG
    GOPR1566.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 31
  • GOPR1565.JPG
    GOPR1565.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 32

Myself

manic mechanic
And finally, before cleaning my carbide burr and putting the grinder away, I made some minor adjustments to the intake area of the case. These things have some really hard edges for the incoming mixture to ram into. I just rounded things out a bit so the mixture can flow in a bit easier. No porting here, just 'cleanup'.

Attachments

• GOPR1561.JPG
    GOPR1561.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 28
  • GOPR1562.JPG
    GOPR1562.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 28
  • GOPR1563.JPG
    GOPR1563.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 27
  • GOPR1564.JPG
    GOPR1564.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 34

Myself

manic mechanic
High temp was about 10* today with 4" snow on the ground. So I worked in the shop all day. Half the day I was moving stuff around organizing. Then I did some real work. I got some aluminum mesh to stuff in the waterbox. I did this on my wife's as well. It really takes that annoying loud bark/buzz out without hindering the flow. First cut a piece, then stretch it out some, then roll it up. I got about 6 shoved in there.

Attachments

• GOPR1568.JPG
    GOPR1568.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 27
  • GOPR1574.JPG
    GOPR1574.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 31
  • GOPR1575.JPG
    GOPR1575.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 29
Top Bottom