650 Yamaha in a 650sx?

EightySeven550

Always just this close
Hello all, I have heard about peope putting Yamaha 701s in x-2s. What would it take to put a yamaha 650 into a kawi 650sx? Just curious because gears are turning in my head.

Also, what do you guys think of this idea?

Thanks all,
Andre

Last edited:
it's more of a pig than the kawie motor.

Not even close.. The 650 Yamaha has WAY more potential than a 650 Kawasaki engine. There are plenty of guys who have 650SJ's that run damn good. Neither are powerhouse's but I bet very few will agree with the above statement.

incorrect!

either way, the yami 650 and 701 are the same, as are the sx and x2, bolt pattern-wise.

Agreed. Crab is making some nice plates that will allow you to just bolt that thing right in. They replace the stock Yamaha bed-wing things and utilize the Kawasaki motor mount locations. 650/701 the same, x2/sx the same. The same setup we shoe horned the 701 in my x2 will put that engine in yours.
Main thing is, once you get the 650 in and working your setup right. Then just build yourself a solid 701 at your own pace and throw it in there when you can.

EightySeven550

Always just this close
Agreed. Crab is making some nice plates that will allow you to just bolt that thing right in. once you get the 650 in and working your setup right. Then just build yourself a solid 701 at your own pace and throw it in there when you can.

Crab making those is sweet, If I get this engine together cheap enough, I will talk to him about the plates.

Being that this is just a 'Wonder if I can' project, Unless I really ylike the ride, Ill probably just leave it as Yamaha 650.

You've got to be kidding.. I thought you had some sense Terry. You can't honestly tell me these guys with modded 650SJ's won't smoke the hell out of a modded 650.. I'm talking part for part. Limited setup, head, pipe, carb, waterbox, etc. 650 SJ HANDS DOWN.

ok now this is first hand knowledge not just forum bs

i have had a kawi 650 with a nice prop, pipe, carb, timing advance etc... the whole nine yards. it didn't hold a candle to a stock sn/sj with a 650. you can listen to mad if you want, but i promise you will be waisting your time, he just hasnt realized yet that he is throwing tons of money away on a 650 kawi. one of these days he will see the light, but i know he will never admit it!!

Last edited:

madscientist

chilling with these guys.
the stroke on the kawie is longer and cylinders are less prone to cracking than the yammy. general knowledge of building motors will lend anyone that tries to stay neutral to sway twards the kawie for bottom end. if you were to approach an engine builder outside of our industry and explained the 2 motors were both 650cc motors and the stroke length they under the mechanical knowledge would say he longer stroke will have more torque, which would be bottom end. the carb tuning and proper mods will make or break a riders decision on which is better. both power plants are capable of performing well.

if i sway away from my 650 it will be for over 100hp

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
You've got to be kidding.. I thought you had some sense Terry. You can't honestly tell me these guys with modded 650SJ's won't smoke the hell out of a modded 650.. I'm talking part for part. Limited setup, head, pipe, carb, waterbox, etc. 650 SJ HANDS DOWN.

Wrong I can honestly say that a properly modded 650 Kawi will smoke a similarly modded 650 yami,I can also say that a properly set up 657-720 Rotax will smoke both of them,been there done that.Some of the folks on this forum can't see the forrest for the trees,try taking of the Yami blinders sometime,you just might find there is a whole big world of watercraft out there that you never knew existed.I personally have ridden Justins boat,for the mods he had done it was quite impressive,he has ridden mine also,even half full of water he was similarly impressed,if you are one of those people who doesn't have first experience on one of our boats (I know for a fact you haven't ridden mine)and is talking crap about them you are talking out their ass.:pokey:

Last edited:

EightySeven550

Always just this close
andre, you should try riding. it's way better than building and buying/selling.

I hope to get riding again soon. Been trying to get some cash to get my engine rebuilt, Im not all that great on constructing an engine, so I've been selling my spare parts that Ive accumulated over the year or two Ive owned skis.

This project is due to a 650sx and 650 yami that Ive kept around.

Last edited:
i have plenty of first-hand experience with both yami and kawi 650 engines and skis.

when the kawis do finally decide to start, theyre running on the ragged edge try to just keep up with the smooth-running yami.

i dont have yami blinders on either. ive owned kawis for almost a decade before owning any yamis, and i still own them both.

the only kawi 650 that can beat a stock yami 650 is a well modded kawi.

sure, ask anyone outside of our industry which would yeild more torque, given that limited information, could bring the wrong answer. absolutely.

WFO Speedracer

I find all this quite amusing,just for :):):):)s and grins last year I took my 650SX flatdecker to the Smith lake freeride,it was ugly as hell,turfed with scraps and hastily put together.I let several people ride it,most everyone that rode it liked it and thought it was a very fun boat.Several people asked what engine I had in it,most were shocked to learn that it was a bone stock 650 KAWI engine with an exhaust pipe mod,stock compression,stock porting ,std bore,stock ignition,stock 38mm Kehin carb and flame arrestor and a freaking stock garbage aluminum impeller,like I said if you take off the Yami colored glasses and you never know what you might find.

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

Well Cliff no one here is going to admit that they can't tune a Kehin carb to work properly to save their life,its easier to spit out remarks like (just get a Mikuni) and (just get a Superjet) I have twin Kehin 38's on my 550 reed engine not only did they make a performance increase over the 38 Mikuni carbs I had on it,they work flawlessly and rejetting them took minutes ,not hours.

Last edited:

tor*p*do

Squarenose FTW
Site Supporter
I am not opposed to Kawi; I have a 750sx in my armada
BUT, the Kawi 650sx is the worst handling standup I have ridden IMHO

Last edited:
Top Bottom