650 Yamaha in a 650sx?

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
I am not opposed to Kawi; I have a 750sx in my armada
BUT, the Kawi 650sx is the worst handling standup I have ridden IMHO

I will totally agree that a stock 650SX is probably the worst handling ski ever,but since my hull is nowhere near stock anymore,its a whole different ball game.

I find all this quite amusing,just for :):):):)s and grins last year I took my 650SX flatdecker to the Smith lake freeride,it was ugly as hell,turfed with scraps and hastily put together.I let several people ride it,most everyone that rode it liked it and thought it was a very fun boat.Several people asked what engine I had in it,most were shocked to learn that it was a bone stock 650 KAWI engine with an exhaust pipe mod,stock compression,stock porting ,std bore,stock ignition,stock 38mm Kehin carb and flame arrestor and a freaking stock garbage aluminum impeller,like I said if you take off the Yami colored glasses and you never know what you might find.

im sure it shredded their awesome 550s.

as impressed as they were with a stock 650 and aluminum impeller, if you were to have let them ride a stock super jet 650 they wouldve crapped themselves.

anyone that is 'impressed' with a 650 running an aluminum impeller obviously knows nothing about power.

perhaps you should take off your kawi green (with envy) glasses and realize that kawis are 'okay', but yamis are superior.

Last edited:
Well Cliff no one here is going to admit that they can't tune a Kehin carb to work properly to save their life,its easier to spit out remarks like (just get a Mikuni) and (just get a Superjet) I have twin Kehin 38's on my 550 reed engine not only did they make a performance increase over the 38 Mikuni carbs I had on it,they work flawlessly and rejetting them took minutes ,not hours.

whats so difficulat about tuning keihins? i have a keihin on the chicken and have never had a problem with tuning.

see? thats a kawi 650 with a keihin. runs great... still no yami.

look i never said a thing about your x2 terry, im sure that puppy does rip. and for one i am not talking out of my ass, ive had plenty of stock 650 kawi's, modded 650 kawi's even a smoking fast 550, but none come close to comparing to what a yami is capable of. trust me i didnt want to covert when i had a garage full of kawi ski's and parts. but i saw the light the first time i rode a 650 yami, and the fleet got sold off and a good portion of it givien away just to get the shop clean. im not the keyboard cowboy you two are, i spend the majority of my time riding. when i had kawis i spent most of my time wreching. i dont miss those days at all.

peace

Wrong I can honestly say that a properly modded 650 Kawi will smoke a similarly modded 650 yami,I can also say that a properly set up 657-720 Rotax will smoke both of them,been there done that.Some of the folks on this forum can't see the forrest for the trees,try taking of the Yami blinders sometime,you just might find there is a whole big world of watercraft out there that you never knew existed.I personally have ridden Justins boat,for the mods he had done it was quite impressive,he has ridden mine also,even half full of water he was similarly impressed,if you are one of those people who doesn't have first experience on one of our boats (I know for a fact you haven't ridden mine)and is talking crap about them you are talking out their ass.:pokey:

Whoa dude.. I never talked crap about EITHER of your boats, EVER. I'm sure they rip. No questions.. I'm just saying IMHO from the stuff I've had, and friends have had, 90% of the Kawasaki stuff has gone to crap fast. They never run right, always breaking down. They don't hold up to abuse well. Maybe a brand spanking new one with all new parts, but who the hell wants to waste the money on that..?
I know absolutely zero about Rotax engines, never claimed to. Hell I don't know that I've ever seen one. But I HAVE seen a ton of POS kawasaki's. And I'm not talking about YOURS Justin. I know you have a ton of money and time in it, etc. Fact is it didn't run last time I saw it. Typical Kawasaki.. I've had my share of trouble with them man, every one I had in my ski constantly gave me hell. My 650SJ on the other hand can be ridden for years without taking the hood off. Every time I took my ski with a Kawasaki engine to the beach it hit on one cylinder at some point. In my experience, Yamaha is the way to go.
We could argue this for months. And I'm sure I'll lose, because someone, somewhere, has a Kawasaki that runs, has for years, may for ever. Not me. I had bad luck with them, good luck with Yamaha's, and I'm sure as hell not the only one!

tbaer

USMC
look i never said a thing about your x2 terry, im sure that puppy does rip. and for one i am not talking out of my ass, ive had plenty of stock 650 kawi's, modded 650 kawi's even a smoking fast 550, but none come close to comparing to what a yami is capable of. trust me i didnt want to covert when i had a garage full of kawi ski's and parts. but i saw the light the first time i rode a 650 yami, and the fleet got sold off and a good portion of it givien away just to get the shop clean. im not the keyboard cowboy you two are, i spend the majority of my time riding. when i had kawis i spent most of my time wreching. i dont miss those days at all.

peace

craig568 and i had both of our ski's apart he has a kawi 750 and i have a rn superjet. we got the all back together after painting them and his wouldn't start we spent 8 hours changing part after part finnaly we got it to start. the next day we wanted to go riding. we went out to start the ski's and his wouldn't start again! so after charging the battery and cleaning the plugs and heating the engine with a blow drier(it was 29 degrees@ 645 am) it finnaly started. my superjet started right away without using the primer! no wrenching required. i didn't even have to tune that carbs after putting them on! fired right up and the plugs have great burn color.kawi=wrenching yami=riding

craig568 and i had both of our ski's apart he has a kawi 750 and i have a rn superjet. we got the all back together after painting them and his wouldn't start we spent 8 hours changing part after part finnaly we got it to start. the next day we wanted to go riding. we went out to start the ski's and his wouldn't start again! so after charging the battery and cleaning the plugs and heating the engine with a blow drier(it was 29 degrees@ 645 am) it finnaly started. my superjet started right away without using the primer! no wrenching required. i didn't even have to tune that carbs after putting them on! fired right up and the plugs have great burn color.kawi=wrenching yami=riding

Been there. My experience exactly. I've ripped my hair out one to many times over them.

madscientist

chilling with these guys.
the starting comment i am sure was directed to me?

and this is not a handling discussion but a powerplant issue. for me to swap to any larger motor than my current 650 set up it will have to be 1oohp or larger

WFO Speedracer

Like I said if you don't know how to properly set up a carb it won't start period.I find these comments hilariously funny coming from the Yamaha crowd.The single most common complaint I hear on Yamahas that come in here is that it won't start when cold,several have even stated that they ran the battery completely down,charged it back up and almost ran it down a second time before they got it to start.I cannot even begin to count the number of those Yamis I have repaired for cold starting problems.By all means continue on though this is just starting to get good.

WFO Speedracer

im sure it shredded their awesome 550s.

as impressed as they were with a stock 650 and aluminum impeller, if you were to have let them ride a stock super jet 650 they wouldve crapped themselves.

anyone that is 'impressed' with a 650 running an aluminum impeller obviously knows nothing about power.

perhaps you should take off your kawi green (with envy) glasses and realize that kawis are 'okay', but yamis are superior.

Just to set the record straight since you were not there and I was,I don't recall seeing any 550's there,pretty much Superjets with a few SXR's and my X2 thrown in the mix.Most of the guys that rode the flatdecker had fairly high dollar engines in their Superjets,Gil,Steeldog,MX CHRIS,Freestylefreak and several others rode it.I think Freestylefreak,was the only one that rode it that had a square nose.

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
Well Cliff no one here is going to admit that they can't tune a Kehin carb to work properly to save their life,its easier to spit out remarks like (just get a Mikuni) and (just get a Superjet) I have twin Kehin 38's on my 550 reed engine not only did they make a performance increase over the 38 Mikuni carbs I had on it,they work flawlessly and rejetting them took minutes ,not hours.

I am running keihin's on my x-2 and a 550/650 conversion ski I am really happy with them and the price was right I'll tell you that much. lol :shhh:

Boris

The Good Old Days
I have an idea of how to settle this.
I'll donate a good, running, stock 650 that came out of a 1990 SJ. Someone else fork over and equal Kawasaki 650.
We'll mount them on some stands, hook up power, fuel and a splash of water.
Fire them up at WOT and see which one blows first.

If anything, it might be some what amusing.

WFO Speedracer

I have an idea of how to settle this.
I'll donate a good, running, stock 650 that came out of a 1990 SJ. Someone else fork over and equal Kawasaki 650.
We'll mount them on some stands, hook up power, fuel and a splash of water.
Fire them up at WOT and see which one blows first.

If anything, it might be some what amusing.

Honestly I didn't think the 650 YAMI made enough power to blow itself up :poke:

the WaTeRhAwK

fryin' up a/m electrics..
stock for stock, both brand new or newly rebuilt setups, the kawi 650 is stronger on the bottom. to make a stock yami motor pace a stock kawi, you would have to bore it to 701, or 61x the cyl.

charlie, Just an FYI here, kawi's don't have a problem starting if they're in good shape, and that statement holds true for either engine. If you've really had as much experience with these things as you like to boast, you would definitely know that by now.

I have a kawi 750 and 2 yamaha 701s in my skis and can say that they are both great powerplants and start excellent. I do prefer the bottom end snap of the yamahas, but thats about it. Both motors are reliable as long as you keep air leaks to a minimum and the carb is in adjustment. I had an x2 with a 650 and it was bulletproof.

Top Bottom