650 Yamaha in a 650sx?

....some typical meaningless random bullshyt from travis.....
there you go justin and terry.... you guys have travis on your side. who can argue with the master???

im out. you win.

kawi rulz!

traviscounty400.jpg

:lmao:

Last edited:
just more evidence that you haven't a single solitary clue about what's being discussed. very "typical" regarding you and technical discussions.

nope. i read what you wrote.

its just not true... just like most, if not all, of the stuff you say.

you seem to have matt_e mesmerized as of late. there must be something more to you than extractors and brainlessness.

A couple seasons ago I brought 2 similar boats to the lake.

One was my 650/550 conversion ski, Coffmans pipe, westcoast intake, 44bn, Wiseco's and 150 psi each cyl, 14/19 prop.

Other boat was a 650 powered fx1, motor stock, aftermarket prop but forget the pitch.

Figuring both boats are about the same weight I think its a good comparison. They performed almost identically. The conversion ski having slightly better bottom end, fx1 slightly better top. Both boats were running good, and the jetting on the Kaw seemed spot on.

Funny thing was a day later I did a compression test on the Yam 650 and it only had 125 psi each cyl. That was tested with the motor warm and with the same gauge as used on the Kaw motor.

I've also ridden stock 650sx's and 650sj's back to back and the sj is better hands down, power, handling etc. I was also previously a diehard Kawi fan, then I started riding and building Yamaha's and haven't looked back.

A couple seasons ago I brought 2 similar boats to the lake.

One was my 650/550 conversion ski, Coffmans pipe, westcoast intake, 44bn, Wiseco's and 150 psi each cyl, 14/19 prop.

Other boat was a 650 powered fx1, motor stock, aftermarket prop but forget the pitch.

Figuring both boats are about the same weight I think its a good comparison. They performed almost identically. The conversion ski having slightly better bottom end, fx1 slightly better top. Both boats were running good, and the jetting on the Kaw seemed spot on.

Funny thing was a day later I did a compression test on the Yam 650 and it only had 125 psi each cyl. That was tested with the motor warm and with the same gauge as used on the Kaw motor.

I've also ridden stock 650sx's and 650sj's back to back and the sj is better hands down, power, handling etc. I was also previously a diehard Kawi fan, then I started riding and building Yamaha's and haven't looked back.

most standuppers start on a kawis because theyre cheap and easy to find. everyone wants to get rid of them. i was a diehard kawi guy that said 'no way' to yamaha being superior, better, or even equal to the greatness that i thought was kawasaki.

yup, i was wrong. i didnt know any better, and those that think that anything kawi, before an SXR, is even remotely close, to even a 650SJ, just doesnt know any better all the same.

you live. you learn.

i still love my kawis (majority of my fleet), but not as much as the yamis!

Last edited:

the WaTeRhAwK

fryin' up a/m electrics..
yup..... easy - like starting a yamaha.

now, the kawi 750s definitely make more power than the yami 650...... not the 701, though....

discuss with travis, wont you?:smlove2:

we weren't talking about 701's, genius. we were discussing 650's. again, you are completely off track, as usual.

as I stated before, to get a 6m6 650 to par with a kawi 650, it has to be bored to 701, or a 61x 701 cyl added. it needs the extra bore to help make up for it's shorter stroke. although, you can get higher rpms out of the yami without it flying apart because of it's shorter stroke.
the yami 650 is out-torqued by the kawi 650. the reason you had such a difficult time starting a kawi is because you more than likely bought it in a screwed up condition, or you just didn't take care of it.
the intake tracts, transfer channels, and ports on these engines flow smoothly, regardless of whether it's a yamaha or a kawi. so, your statement of "a Kawi compared to a smooth flowing yamaha." is rediculous.
as far as the torque values go, as stated earlier, if the stroke is longer and the downstroke power is there with it, it's going to out-torque the one with the shorter stroke, both being at 650cc's. wake the hell up charlie. you suffer from "superjet of the brain".

the WaTeRhAwK

fryin' up a/m electrics..
yup, i was wrong. i didnt know any better, and those that think that anything kawi, before an SXR, is even remotely close, to even a 650SJ, just doesnt know any better all the same.

uhm....so, for some reason you think anything before the SXR cannot perform even remotely close to the yamaha 650...LOL yep, you're staggeringly wrong alright.
wow, you must have had to put literally TONS of figuring into that one...(here's a old saki quote: SHEEESH!!! ) ...

lol

wow, travis. youre amazing!

has it really been six years since your brain went dead?

why is it that nobody is putting kawi engines in their yamahas?

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Here is the thing,I have worked on literally hundreds of Kawi 650's in various boats,I really have never run across one in good condition that was hard to start,I have also never seen one throw a rod through the case,most I hasve seen with problems were due to water ingestion,they are very dependable engines that make decent power.In that same time period I have worked on about the same number of 650 Yami engines,same thing ,a reliable engine that makes decent power,I have seen a handfull puke their guts out in the same time period,I have rebuilt at least twice as many Yami 650's and seen many more that were hard to start.Most of the hard to start problem boils down to carbs that were incorrectly set from the factory and Yamahas choice to use choke plates that do not fully close off the carb bore,pretty easily fixed by proper carb adjustments,all I can go by is my experience,yours may differ,as may your opinions.That being said I wouldn't yank a Kawi 650 to install a Yami 650,a 701 maybe so but thats quite a different animal isn't it?

Last edited:
Here is the thing,I have worked on literally hundreds of Kawi 650's in various boats,I really have never run across one in good condition that was hard to start,I have also never seen one throw a rod through the case,most I hasve seen with problems were due to water ingestion,they are very dependable engines that make decent power.In that same time period I have worked on about the same number of 650 Yami engines,same thing ,a reliable engine that makes decent power,I have seen a handfull puke their guts out in the same time period,I have rebuilt at least twice as many Yami 650's and seen many more that were hard to start.Most of the hard to start problem boils down to carbs that were incorrectly set from the factory and Yamahas choice to use choke plates that do not fully close off the carb bore,pretty easily fixed by proper carb adjustments,all I can go by is my experience,yours may differ,as may your opinions.That being said I wouldn't yank a Kawi 650 to install a Yami 650,a 701 maybe so but thats quite a different animal isn't it?

so, youd yank a k650 to install a y701, and not a k750?

do you really think the y650 is less reliable than the 701?

yamanube

This Is The Way
Staff member
I personally think that anybody who feels the kawasaki 650 motor is stronger either has never ridden a yamaha 650 or is just ignorant because 99% of the people who have will honestly tell you the yamaha feels stronger. Being no surprise that it is only WFO and WAD left making the argument I would imagine they are only here to argue and don't really care which point is right or wrong. I think you two where seperated at birth, are you guys really so bullheaded you think that EVERYBODY else is just arguing with you to get their post count up or because they are victim of superjet jedi mind tricks and we will all eventually see the (green) light and start putting kawasaki motors in yamaha skis?

Last edited:

WFO Speedracer

so, youd yank a k650 to install a y701, and not a k750?

do you really think the y650 is less reliable than the 701?

I think it has no performance gain over a Kawi 650 and is not any more reliable,a 701 has an excellent balance of power and reliability,we are off track here by quite a bit I would say.

WFO Speedracer

I personally think that anybody who feels the kawasaki 650 motor is stronger either has never ridden a yamaha 650 or is just ignorant because 99% of the people who have will honestly tell you the yamaha feels stronger. Being no surprise that it is only WFO and WAD left making the argument I would imagine they are only here to argue and don't really care which point is right or wrong. I think you two where seperated at birth, are you guys really so bullheaded you think that EVERYBODY else is just arguing with you to get their post count up or because they are victim of superjet jedi mind tricks and we will all eventually see the (green) light and start putting kawasaki motors in yamaha skis?

Yes somehow I knew Jedi mind tricks were involved ,thanks for confirming my theory.Yeah post count thats what it is all about nube.To each his own I say,ride what you want when you want, just don't tell me what to ride or how to ride it and we will get along just fine.

Top Bottom