750sx...My turn for the freestyle setup

Waternut

Customizing addict
Ok the trim is now fixed and I have the extension needed to make the X2 work for me. I basically ended up drilled and tapping a steel tube. One end threads onto the steering cable and the other has a stud that threads into the ball joint. It's about an inch long and looks like crap but it works...

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well I thought I'd keep people up to date as to what has been going on with this ski since a few people have asked if I had a build thread...

Since the last time I posted, I have added total loss and had to fix many things...including the total loss itself.

I won't bore you with the details of the repairs and I don't have the time to go through them all either so here's a brief highlight...

During the installation of total loss...and yes it got worse before it got better. Also had the engine out of ski at least 10 times in the past 2 months.
1_totallossinstall.jpg

Then I fired up the ski after cranking/choking too much and blew up the waterbox.
1_waterbox.JPG

I now have a stock aluminum waterbox...DO NOT ride without one. It's incredibly annoying and offers absolutely no performance gains.

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
Here is the total loss installed. Once I finally got it running properly, it really does rip!!
1_totalloss.JPG

Here is a picture of the engine bay right now. Yeah I bought the spark plug wires a bit too long. Oh well. Either way, I had to wrap them up because they were chaffing really bad on the air filter.
1_enginedone.JPG

hey man, your build is sick, i clicked the link from you signature on PWCT. I dont mean to jack your idea but dude, you gotta hook me up with the instructions on how to make the trim for my 750, i gotta do it over the winter, i got 2 dead x2's so i got the trims! Thats if you dont mind bro, but you got a nasty ride man.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Nah, it's not jacking my idea... I posted it so others could use it or alter to their needs. I tried to write up the process for the trim as best I could. What else do you need to know?

Waternut

Customizing addict
Actually I have D cut the plate...just haven't posted pics yet. lol
I'll have pics up shortly. I honestly didn't notice a huge difference in riding characteristics with the D cut though and I chopped a lot.

Waternut

Customizing addict
OK here are the pics. I originally cut the plate with a huge angle grinder which works ok but not the cleanest thing. Then I got my new air compressor and was able to clean it up a lot better. I shaved it flush with the back of the hull and cut another 2" into the center...maybe I should cut more but I'm afraid to expose too much of the pump nozzle.

1_dcut.JPG

1_dcut2.JPG

Waternut

Customizing addict
Well thought I'd update people on the on-going build for this thing. I loved the D-cut ride plate!!

Long story short...the bolts rattled out and that rideplate is now at the bottom of the lake. If the rideplate had just fallen out, I'd be fine but it didn't. It completely ripped off ripping two huge holes in the hull and yanking a third insert out. Since glassing in new inserts would be unreliable based on what's left, I decided to go with another route. Here is the damage cleaned up the final insert removed...you can see how bad the holes were.
1_IM000001.JPG
1_IM000002.JPG

So I used I cut two strips of 1/8" aluminum and added nutplates to make up my new rideplate mounts. A lot is going to break before these do. I made two cut outs in the hull to insert these strips. Added a bit of "Great Stuff" Foam in the recess,fiberglassed over the area, and rode it without problems for the weekend.
2_IM000005.JPG
1_IM000003.JPG

I did do another D-cut in my other rideplate though...also with great results!!

Last edited:

Waternut

Customizing addict
So after riding it for the weekend I did have one small problem. The fiberglass over my new holes came off because I didn't do a good enough job and used cheap polyester resin. BTW...after riding a full day with two holes in the back of my hull, the foam was dry as a bone!

So instead of just replacing it with good epoxy resin and new glass. I decided to cut an inch off the back of the hull. I definately cheated a little bit and didn't cut it off at the tray. It was going to be complicated to cut up near the tray so I scratched that idea and cut it even with the bottom of the bond line. I did use good fiberglass and epoxy resin this time though...
1_IM000006.JPG
1_IM000007.JPG

1_IM000008.JPG

I'll see if it holds up this weekend and let everyone know if it handles or rides any better or worse. If that fiberglass rips off, that will definately end my weekend though. The scary part of this mod though...those two 1" blocks that I cut off weighed 2lbs total. The RHS by the exhaust had almost no foam in it. It was almost completely full of some kind of putty around the exhaust pipe. That thing is like a brick!

spork

down with the sickness
I had the same thing happen to me and I did the same thing only I used stainless and tig welded the nuts on it. It did work great except I did take on some water from it not being sealed up enough with one extra layer of glass/resin.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
Great stuff foam will soak up water so be prepared. I can't wait to try the shortened hull. Probably not this weekend though.

Waternut

Customizing addict
So I managed to dent my aluminum pole the other day. Thankfully it wasn't fiberglass or it probably would've just broken. I had been thinking about making a pole limiting rope for a while but never really saw enough need to bother. Guess I have the need now so here is what I came up with...

I had some old bicycle rack tie down straps that I wasn't using and they turned out to be perfect. First I widened the the hood latch gap to accomodate the straps hook.
1_limiting.JPG

Then I grabbed an old bungy cord I had laying around. I figured the red one would go best with my ski... I then cut one end off the bungy cord and used two zip ties to keep the cord together.
1_limiting4.jpg

Hooked the bungy cord hook to the handlepole bolt and connected the rest...
1_limiting3.JPG

so you never did say how it handles with the hull shortened. Im planning on the same, but was going to go for 3 or 4 inches. that and front sponsons are on my list this winter... and a 951...

Waternut

Customizing addict
Ok here's the report on the shortened hull.... I really like it. However, with the stock steering nozzle the backend slides out so easily that I can't keep it under control to get back to a setup wake. If I go too slow, the ski steers wide and I can't hit it right. If I go too fast, the backend slides out and I can't get the nose down fast enough to plane off in time to hit the wake. I keep blipping the throttle but it keeps going up instead of forward.

On the other hand, when I used the trim nozzle which is extended back about an inch more than the stock nozzle, it's much easier to turn sharply without sliding but I do still have to be gentle on the throttle or the nose will pop up too fast.

Waternut

Customizing addict
Winter is approaching so I'm sure a few people are actually looking for stuff to do to their ski's now. Since the last thing I did was fairly involved, I'll go ahead and post my results.

I recently ported my motor with the templates I purchased from Racelogic.com. It has made quite a difference and I really like it. I will most certainly be porting my next ski. Here is the full writeup that I did on the procedure... http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/44454

Top Bottom