650/X-2 86 X2 wiring is a mess!

SASQUATCH113

Gimme Time....
Hey all,

My friend moved to upper NY and decided he couldn't let himself sell his X2, so he gave it to me to 'keep in the family.' It never ran like a champ while he had it, but I am determined to get it back on water by time he comes back to visit.

Right now my only problem I am having is the wiring has been butchered to hell.

I have only worked on Yamaha's so this is a somewhat new world to me.

Here is a picture of the wires coming from the flywheel. 2 Yellow,1 Black, 1 Black/Red, and 1 Black/Yellow.
IMG_20121209_170745.jpg

Here is the WSM CDI. The wires coming from the unit are 2 spark plug wires, 2 Black, 1 Blue, and 1 Black/Red.
The wires were then spliced and led to the following color wires
Black>Black (ground)
Black>Black
Blue>White
Black/Red>Purple
IMG_20121209_170633.jpg

Then this magical box of hot mess.
The regulator has
Yellow>
Yellow>
Black>ground
Red> currently hooked to 'Red' Relay wire
Red/Blue(purple?)> currently hooked to 'orange' start switch

Relay has
Red> currently hooked to red regulator
Black>ground
Yellow/Red> currently hooked to 'white' start switch
IMG_20121209_170726.jpg

I have a print out of the wiring diagram from the service manual but it seems most of my wires don't match up to it.

I also have a spare wire that was cut. It looks like the cluster of wires that would come from the flywheel. The wire colors are 1 Purple, 1 Black/Yellow, and 2 Orange(maybe Brown?) This has me at a complete loss.

If someone with could help guide me to solving this rubix wire mess I would greatly appreciate it.

1986X2WiringDiag.jpg

That's the wiring diagram I would use, did you make sure you have the diagram for the right year? They're different depending on year and 650 model

Last edited:

SASQUATCH113

Gimme Time....
That is a same diagram I was using. I find it a little confusing. I don't seem to see a stop switch relay anywhere on my ski. Also, with the addition of the WSM cdi, I have an extra wire compared to the diagram. The regulator also doesn't have the white wire that connects to the starter relay.

I would love to see a pic of someone's 'ebox'.

If I made a map of all the wires I have might help keep my brain from overworking.

SASQUATCH113

Gimme Time....
Here is a picture (very crude) of what my ebox looks like when opened. The parts are from different years. I have looked at several different diagrams to see if I can get a grip on what is going on, but I am getting very frustrated. I am hoping this drawing can help someone out who can guide me on complication.

x2 wiring.jpg

Here are the colors I have coming from each section, in case you cant tell in the picture.

Regulator [Red, Black (with a Black/Yellow wire split from it), Brown, Brown, Red/Purple]
Relay [Red, Black, Red/Yellow]
Stator [Yellow, Yellow, Black, Black/Red, Black/Yellow]
CDI(WSM) [Black, Black, Blue, Black/Red]
Start/Stop [Black, Blue, Orange, White]

Last edited:

SASQUATCH113

Gimme Time....
I got all connections plugged in. I am left with a black wire from stator with a male bullet on the end. I will leave it as is until I can figure out how to remove this stubborn WC pipe head so i can connect the starter cables and finally try to crank this bad boy up.

Top Bottom