'93 SquareNose build

Well the time for my build has begun... I have spent the last 8 months exiled in Diego Garcia BIOT and face only 4 more to go. Anyway I picked up a '93 SquareNose hull that was basicaly identical to the ski I had before. The ski I picked up was prestine. The bottom of the hull has only one small chip in it and has been in pieces for about 10 years. I plan on putting a 701 62t with a single carb. It seems to be just as cost effective to find a used 62t and run a single carb manifold as to building a 62t around my 650 crank. Maybe run the 61x jugs and the 62t cases?

I have some concerns about running my sizzler pipe again as it cracked the side of my hull some how a few years ago (WTF?), but there's nothing a big mat and west systems band aid can't fix!

Well, I don't think I will be running a nose exhaust for the moment and think I'll be painting it the Yamaha blue color, but not for sure.

Any pointers and advise will be greatly appreciated including rants.

I'll work on a some picts

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about running the sizzler...weird that it would crack the hull...my guess is it was a combination of a few tihgns that cracked it...Can't imagine it was pipe alone.

welcome to the X!

P3030075.jpg

P3030078.jpg

A stand I made out of sch40 PVC. The cross member pieces are 5 and 3/4 inches. That seems to be pretty much dead on for setting the SuperJet hull on.
P3040182.jpg

P3070217.jpg

All stripped down!
P3070218.jpg

Your right about the pipe cracking the old hull, it was most likely a combo of events. I used to ride and pancake all the time in the surf as I learned to ride. Even broke the rear corner off the ski due to sand bars. This ski is like a second begining. I paid 200 for it, which seems kinda high, but I have looked and looked, even found a ThunderJet one time. This ski was local and I have had my eye on it for few years. It has an aftermarket water box, the pump and wear ring are in great shape (I needed a wear ring), electronics look to be in good shape, and the hull has very low hours on it. No play in the hand pole and the ski was only taken apart once. It's kinda sorta virgin.

Last edited:
Well so far I have:

WCF footholds
Wet Wolf cone
Mach II pipe, I'm going to sell it and go to the dark side after all (B pipe).
UMI steering, going to sell 2 of my 3 turn plates I have and get a shortend one. Some people have many skis, I have many turnplates! haha
-2 AC aluminum SN pole. I hear these are on the heavy side?
0 deg bars
Orange Blowsion girdled head, still need domes and O rings, got to talk to the porter for that.
D cut ride plate
ADA throttle drum to run kawi cable
Primer kit
Reed stuffers... I hear that alot of people say they don't like them. They were great on a XPL 951, maybe sell them and run a spacer.
2 bilge through hulls
stainless straight pisser. I needed a new wedding band and saw the ones they had on here and went ahead and got a pisser too.
Orange fuel line/Green primer line
Cold fusion coupler/ dampener
62T bottom end
New motor mounts
2 yards of carbon fiber for re-enforcement
UMI throttle
Some random, round, turquoise water box that I have no clue about.
Dual stock 38's with OEM F/a, off a '97 so I will have ease adjusting them and no caps to drill.
MSD enhancer
Solas and a Skat Trak impeller. Thining of having Impros pimp out my Solas, or sell both and get a Hooker. This will be the LAST thing I do case plans alwas change.

The cool thing is, almost everthing is used and bought off here, even got the Cold Fusion coupler second hand!

Still have a few odds and ends like ported cylinders and possibly getting cases ported. Not to mention hood mods and replacing foam with polystyrene and re-enforcing, I like the ATP nossle, but it's very spensive, most likely modifying the stock nossle, or going aftermarket, we'll see. I'm also going to curve the gunnels. I have another busted and disgusted SN hull leaning against my house. Just like 80% of SeaDoo's... "It's still out there", LMAO. Anyway I am thinking of cutting Meton strips off the old hull and using a heat gun to form them, and then glass them on, don't think that would be heavy, but that right angle would hurt even with padding. But I feel I can soften/blend the right angle. Maybe heat up the Meton and curve it over the top, kinda like a cap. We'll see. Also wanting to run a side exhaust, the nose exhust is just too much, but like doing perpendicular stands.

Mullet masher

Well... I have since returned home and now have begun working with the hull some. I defoamed it the tray and have started deribbing it. Working on it has been slow due to the heat, but it keeps me from burning out on doing it too much.

The tray cut
P8050073.jpg

Almost done with the defoam, went ahead and removed the exhaust, lines, and the shaft through hull, they were in pretty softly and I'm going to stick them back in with Right Stuff. Also cut/chipped out the excess glue. There was a spot in the bulkhead where the glue was all over, but not in the space where it was supposed to be. It was an air pocket.
P8050076.jpg

Here it is with the ski's name on it. I'm going to have a graphic cut with the name in it. Good surf name since there are so many mullet out there in the waves.
P8090080.jpg

Last edited:
Well, the reenforce went a little sloppy at first, but then it started going better, I used a bit too much and then alot went off in the cup, oh well. The epoxy rollers are a blessing, you really don't know how well they work till you use one.

I took a few days and stripped off all the piant in the hull.
P8120089.jpg

P8120090.jpg

P8120091.jpg

P8130095.jpg

P8140097.jpg

P8140098.jpg

P8140099.jpg

P8140101.jpg

P8150105.jpg

P8150106.jpg

P8150107.jpg

P8160111.jpg

P8160114.jpg

Well here is what I have gotten done today. I'm off for another month so I should be glassing the tray in the morning.

Here's the used foam I got for free, it's good on the inside
P8250006.jpg

Packing it in
P8250007.jpg

Almost done with the bottom part.
P8250013.jpg

Rough shaping it with sanding disk
P8250017-1.jpg

Fine touch by hand and old sanding disks
P8250018-1.jpg

P8250019.jpg

Tray will be a little bit wider, WCF holds are pretty wide themselves so I can't widen too much.
P8250020.jpg

Grips, I should of gotten orange rings.
P8250016-1.jpg

It was a white out in my garage after working this foam all morning.

Last edited:
Looks good but I don't understand the red epoxy.

Yea, I wanted a nice keel blue color, and I do have the pigment here, but the microballoons were dark in color and I don't think the pigment would of helped any since it was so dark. I put my pole together with epoxy and keel blue pigment and it looks great, too bad it wasn't in the hull. I used a mix of cabosil and microballons for the hull.

I'm thinking of painting the insides orange.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
I thought that is what that was. Microballoons are a filler for filling voids with lightweight epoxy. It is good for filling the bondline. Cabosil is for thickening epoxy. Some people use this to fill the bondline, too. It is stronger but weighs more. Neither is needed to wet cloth. It looks like you did not fill the bondline at all.

I'm not trying to bust your chops. What you did should not hurt anything except the cosmetics of the inside of your hull.

I thought that is what that was. Microballoons are a filler for filling voids with lightweight epoxy. It is good for filling the bondline. Cabosil is for thickening epoxy. Some people use this to fill the bondline, too. It is stronger but weighs more. Neither is needed to wet cloth. It looks like you did not fill the bondline at all.

I'm not trying to bust your chops. What you did should not hurt anything except the cosmetics of the inside of your hull.

No I appreciate the insight. I dremeled out the excess glue in the bond line, filled it in with epoxy and then laid a soaked strip of 1808 bi-ax over it, then S glass and carbon fiber.

Last edited:
Well, I weighed the bare hull at 112 pounds. The hood gutted at 10, and not sure on the pole.

Putting in the WCF holds, I also widened the tray approximately 2 inches.
P9020005.jpg

The WCF holds are nice and deep, but they seem very brittle, it was like they sagged up in the middle and cracked one just mocking it up. A layer of Bi-Ax makes everything better. I also had to enforce the top of the hold as I have to cut it off.
P9020006.jpg

View from the top
P9100018.jpg

Pancake Pete front foothold
P9100019.jpg

:woot:
P9100017.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I've been out of town for a few months up in OKC and now I'm back for good. I had about 2 months off to just work on the ski 8 hours a day between jobs and it was great. I ordered the last of my epoxy this morning and now just need vinyl and I'm done. Oh yea and get a trailer. I found a nice aluminum one for $400 by Dallas on my way home a few days ago but was too broke to buy it at the time. I think that took 5 years off my life. Anyway I have my heart set on using a narrow jon boat trailer cause the Wrangler needs a long tongue trailer to keep the rear end out of the water.
I just got my Jetmaniac engine in the other day and have been putting stuff on it today.

Here's the engine so far
PB130085.jpg

PB130083.jpg

PB130088.jpg

Top Bottom