97 SJ My new Freeride toy

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
Here is my new addition :arms: :arms: and project. I picked it up this week locally. It came with Tubbie 2's and a ported pump. The ski needs some TLC bad.

Attachments

• IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
I started cleaning and seeing what needs to be done today. I cleaned the engine compartment and removed the turf. The last owner put new turf over the stock turf which was fun to remove. He used a ton of sealant for the rail caps. I cut all the screws for the tubbies that were sticking in the engine compartment (they went even stainless). im not sure if I am going to remove them or not, I will find out tommorrow. Its going to need a new steering cable and long exhaust hose. Someone had put hull extenders on it which then someone cut them down. I removed what was left.

Attachments

• IMG_0876.jpg
    IMG_0876.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0878.jpg
    IMG_0878.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 205

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
So I started to look into my Tubbies condition and I found water comming out of my left one. I figure it will be easyer to fix the install than to try and take them off.

Attachments

• IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 148

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
Foaming Begins

Since I never had to refoam my Kawi's this is a first and it sucks. I will be cutting the holes for the footholds tommorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 131

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
Dude, you suck!!!:biggrin: Where did you find that one?? Looks kinda familiar. Don't be neglecting the X-2 now that you got this, one project at a time!!:woot:

I got it from a guy on ebay. Nobody bid on it so I called him. The X-2 will not be neglected, I am waiting for parts for that one. It is almost done :biggrin: .

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
Great thread and great project.

Post more pics and sell me your sx-r hull. (or give, really either one)

D Slicker

Durham, dont forget it
De-foamed

I finished de-foaming today and all i have to say is "De-Foaming is like eating a bowl of spaghetti you keep eating and it looks like you will never finish and then all of a sudden your done" I put the must have tools in the pic's except for the rubber mallet and the shop vac. That black garbage bag is full of foam. I also took some measurements of what I cut since I couldn’t find it anywhere in the tech section. I am waiting for my scupper now and some more 404 to fill in the seams. Should I re-enforce the inside rails before I reafoam?

P.S. Alex who needs to catch up now…..:biggthumpup:

Attachments

• Measurments refoam.jpg
    Measurments refoam.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0888.jpg
    IMG_0888.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Just a thought, but.... My family has a boat called a carolina skiff, its basically a giant fiberglass tub on water. The floors on these boats are filled with the same foam jet skis are, not sure of the foams density though. Either way, these boats are very popular up here, and over the years, I have heard of or have seen many who have wet foam, much like a jet ski gets. 99% of the people fix this by tipping the boat up and drilling a few small holes in the back and letting it drain. It DOES drain the water and the foam is then good to use again.

Has anyone really tried this with a ski yet, instead of just cutting it up and refoaming? I dont see why it could not work, and its seems much much easier to drill, drain, and patch some holes.

Just my .02

Just a thought, but.... My family has a boat called a carolina skiff, its basically a giant fiberglass tub on water. The floors on these boats are filled with the same foam jet skis are, not sure of the foams density though. Either way, these boats are very popular up here, and over the years, I have heard of or have seen many who have wet foam, much like a jet ski gets. 99% of the people fix this by tipping the boat up and drilling a few small holes in the back and letting it drain. It DOES drain the water and the foam is then good to use again.

Has anyone really tried this with a ski yet, instead of just cutting it up and refoaming? I dont see why it could not work, and its seems much much easier to drill, drain, and patch some holes.

Just my .02

Thats what Im doing except drilling holes. They were already there in my leaky footholds, when I had the hull upside down sanding, the water was draining out. So Im just gonna reglass my footholds, seal everything else up and call it good. Re-foaming is way too much work for me.

Top Bottom