Freestyle ADA Big Bore

Big Kahuna

Administrator
The ADA motor made good power, smooth like a sewing machine.. The XS 865 SS (846cc) hit harder in the mid to top

That's saying a lot as the Ada was on msd TL and the XS was oem ebox on msd enhancer

The LPW 5 mil was nothing to write home about, it came in a RN LPW flag ship ski when I bought it.. Msd TL and everything , motor sucked IMO ... My 701 motor hit harder in my other RN.

If I am not mistaken, the motor in that ski was a Protec Stroker motor that John (Guy you bought it from) use to run in his SN before he bought Pauls hull from him. It was the old race stroker setup with 6m6 cylinders ported from racing with stroker crank.

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
If I am not mistaken, the motor in that ski was a Protec Stroker motor that John (Guy you bought it from) use to run in his SN before he bought Pauls hull from him. It was the old race stroker setup with 6m6 cylinders ported from racing with stroker crank.

Your correct on it being a protec motor... But before I got it LPW had just rebuilt it, tuned it, tweaked it, etc.... Either way it sucked, I even tried it in a Blaster & it wasn't any better. I can't say LPW builds bad stuff, that motor started out bad so it would have been hard for LPW to fix it.

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
Round one this weekend goes to the non-powervalve ADA motor hands down.

DASA ported DASA ss850 vs FullThrottle ported/Jetworks fixed ADA 5mil 850

Same bolt ons except for a mod chamber and Blackjacks on the ADA motor and aftermarket SBN's (I think?) and a limited chamber on the DASA.

The DASA motor is way quieter than the previous motor with the TDR waterbox so we are going to switch that out in case something is wrong with it and see if it makes a difference.

Round two will be later this week. If the ADA wins again the DASA may need to go to Thrust for some magic porting.

Its all about setup.....Let us play with that Dasa & get it tweaked....

The deal with the Dasa motors are timing, compression, prop, & carbs have to be correct.... There not like a XS motor, the setup is different & if you try to set them up like the XS SS motors there not going to work. If I remember right that Dasa SS your talking about was over propped....

I never thought changing carbs from make & size really mattered once a boat was tuned & hitting correct... When we tried 3 sets on my XS1000 I was amazed... Now this was OEM ebox/B pipe XS1000... Did SBN 46's Mod by XS, Full Spec 46's, & then Full Spec 49's.... Just the change in bottom in hit from XS SBN 46 to FS 46's was night and day, once we tried 49's I never pulled them off again... the SBN 46's made my XS1000 feel like a 865SS & the 49's FS made it feel like a monster....

Word of advise sell those SBN's & buy some blackjacks or new FS's... I'm very happy with my Blackjacks

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Your correct on it being a protec motor... But before I got it LPW had just rebuilt it, tuned it, tweaked it, etc.... Either way it sucked, I even tried it in a Blaster & it wasn't any better. I can't say LPW builds bad stuff, that motor started out bad so it would have been hard for LPW to fix it.

John told me he had gone through it, freshened it up. It had a weird powerband. Soft-Hit-Soft

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
We both have 144 mag pumps with 14/19 props. It is perfect for my ADA motor so it should be good for the DASA too. My ski is about 20 pounds lighter but the difference between the two motors is drastic enough to throw that variable out. We also have the same total loss settings and 195 compression with 50/50 av gas/premium. I agree about the Blackjacks. I think everyone would agree that all DASA's are not created equal. The builder's porting makes a huge difference.

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
We both have 144 mag pumps with 14/19 props. It is perfect for my ADA motor so it should be good for the DASA too. My ski is about 20 pounds lighter but the difference between the two motors is drastic enough to throw that variable out. We also have the same total loss settings and 195 compression with 50/50 av gas/premium. I agree about the Blackjacks. I think everyone would agree that all DASA's are not created equal. The builder's porting makes a huge difference.

Its over propped as stated before... He asked me about it... The Dasa's make a lot of power, but the prop size is different than one would think, you can't think like my motor has 850cc so his motor should turn the same prop.... We have tested & pulled pumps more than you can count playing with these motors...

He needs to try a 13/18 & retest & maybe a 13/18 with one washer, also stubby mag cone would be a big help. We have ones made by XS, not sure if anyone is making the XS design mag stubby.

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
He has the stubby cone. I don't doubt your prop knowledge. I went with the 14/19 for mine based on your advice and it was spot on. It does seem weird to me that the motors need different props. Lowering the pitch on the DASA motor makes it seem as though it doesn't make as much power. Different powerband maybe or is mine overpropped too?

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
The Dasa's likes a lower pitch prop for some reason... I think its more of the bottom end that likes a lower pitch... My thought when I got the Dasa 1100 package, was this motor should turn a bigger prop right??? It was right & wrong.... Same 148 pump at the time, it hit best with a 14 on the bottom, but we also tried a 15/21 & 15/22, which killed that bottom snap, but mid to top pulled like crazy.. 13 on the bottom it just spun... So it was a very fine line ... What happens with the Dasa is it will turn the either prop 14/21 or 15/21... You just slow how fast it comes on the pipe... Which is what makes you happy or Mad! So what I'm saying in your case is the over propped bottom is slowing the motor to rev, in turn making it feel doggie or not as snappy as yours.

Find a prop (13/18 mag) for the Dasa owner to try... I really think a 13/18 & like I said maybe one washer, but try it first without....

I hope that makes sense...

Now with your motor I knew based on what I ran with that SF & ADA motor, remember I had a ADA motor in that Freak you bought.

Lucaumpits

RIDE LIKE U'VE STOLE IT!!
Dasa motor has timing porting a bit taller , that's the reason you need a smaller prop,
all depends the kind rider you are, some people likes the bottom end some riders ride a bit faster, and will want the high low end to the mid

I know the magical power valves go way low on them dasas, I mean as low as stock porting, even if the porting is wicked on the dasa shouldn't the power-valves make the porting hit on the bottom ? Thats what everyone says right ? It sounds like Mc's engine has a wider power band and can pull the impeller easier but thats not to say it couldn't be better with the 13-18.

Pablo

sqeez bth levrs & lean bk
Site Supporter
Mcdog's def has power right off the bottom...and all the way up. It's a great setup and tuned well. My SS 850 Dasa is getting better. I haven't turned the engine over to anyone specific and sought they're specific advice and set it up that way. Which is really what needs to happen to get optimum performance out of it, but my impression after riding it all summer is that Josh and Lucas are correct. I need to get the prop spinning faster...more quickly (off the bottom), because when the RPM's are up the power valves pop and it pulls much harder. Taylor Curtis was telling my he was pitched wayyyy down compared to the 14/19 like a 9 or 10, but that's full time surf riding too. I've thought about decreasing spring tension on the PV's too.

Lucaumpits

I had a xs 1000 with 150mm mag pulling a 14/19 prop
and now I have a Dasa 865, with a 10/15 prop and pull as hard or the same as my XS 1000,

some guys think they set up is better because they are running bigger props, that dont mean s#it, I seen guys running Polaris 1105cc motors, high compression, balls to the walls set ups, and they are using 145mm mag and winning world tittle.

its all about to find the finest edge, and that cost money, witch sucks.

I had a xs 1000 with 150mm mag pulling a 14/19 prop
and now I have a Dasa 865, with a 10/15 prop and pull as hard or the same as my XS 1000,

some guys think they set up is better because they are running bigger props, that dont mean s#it, I seen guys running Polaris 1105cc motors, high compression, balls to the walls set ups, and they are using 145mm mag and winning world tittle.

its all about to find the finest edge, and that cost money, witch sucks.

Hallo Lucas,
looks like you change you setup every half year..... Let me know if you sell you engine:))))

Year ago i was looking for new engine for me. Pm'd some members from X and ask what the best: ss scream, 10mmscream, 12/16mm dasa. 80% off members answered 10mm scream best from all and ss scream better than 8/10mm Dasa.

But now all these peoples go to dasa........ Back from strocker to ss.

Dasa works so hard on her engines or modifid only trust the engine to this high level???

Thanks, Andy

Last edited:

Aircraftsalz

Thrust built Dasa Power
Year ago i was looking for new engine for me. Pm'd some members from X and ask what the best: ss scream, 10mmscream, 12/16mm dasa. 80% off members answered 10mm scream best from all and ss scream better than 8/10mm Dasa.

But now all these peoples go to dasa........ Back from strocker to ss.

Dasa works so hard on her engines or modifid only trust the engine to this high level???

Thanks, Andy

Don't get me wrong XS builds a great package, well tuned, overall its a great motor.... 1-2 yrs ago everyone had to have a XS motor so thats why you got the response you did.. Now some other guys that had XS packages have changed to Dasa, more people are trying Dasa now days. Look at RRP now sells ready to ride Ski's with Dasa packages... Ricky has had XS & Dasa motors & you see what he's offering

Dasa motors make unreal power... I went from a XS1000 tuned & setup by Pat/Chucky/Mike to my Dasa 16 mil 89m bore so 1045cc.. so 53cc more than the XS motor, you can't even think about comparing the two setups.. Now my package was setup by Brian at Thrust (Built, assembled, ported, tuned) everything.. It makes power from right off the bottom & the way up, has no soft spots, no flat spots, never stops pulling.. The harder you pull the throttle the harder it pulls... Every time I ride this ski its just an unreal feeling.. I have had this motor for a few months, lots of time on it... Not one problem, always starts, never runs rough, its truely a push the start button, ride, mix gas, ride... I know some of the first Dasa/16 mils had some problems, what ever the problem was its corrected now...

Lucas has a 900cc or less legal motor... Running a 148 mag, MSD, Power Factor, etc... This motor hits just like his XS1000 with 100 less CC... Last comp I watched him ride, he went bigger, completed more flips, than a pro rider on a XS1000R setup...
Its really wild to see his motor hit so hard and have less cc than the xs1000 he pulled out...

Rode a Dasa 10 mil 1000cc last week, pump gas, not much compression, not much timing.. Motor is making a lot of power & its not even close to what it will make...

What ever Dasa is doing, & Brian at Thrust building these motors its a winning package!

Best thing about Brian at Thrust I can call him, he always answers the phone, always helpful, tells me its going to be this much, will take this time to complete, & its done..

I can't say that about the others...

Lucaumpits

Well is just something that Dasa and Thrust have been working on.
Let's put this way, I come from a XS1000 background the engine I rode for all last season, and now I ride a Dasa/Thrust under 900cc and I don't miss my XS 1000 a bit, so my new set up must be pretty danm good.
Ohh I see so you have a new setup that will be offered to the public soon?
@@

Last edited:
Top Bottom