Advice for noobs

Tribby

Pisces do it in the water
Ok I'm gonna throw myself out there. So I'm a noob. Just started riding my friends superjet bout a year ago and haven't been out too much but I fell in love with standups instantly. So now that I'm back on my financial feet I'm getting one of my own. So here's the question I'm posing to all of you. When faced with someone new to the scene what gems of advice would you give them? I'm friends with a couple of the people who ride in my area but I'd like to get a wider variety of opinions. I'm interested in learning everything from basic knowledge to technical stuff

I've got my heart set on a sn superjet, not stock but not as nasty as my buddy's. And my goal is to get good enough to start freestyling and ripping it up in the gulf so anyone down for bestowing their wisdom upon me?

leprechaunjohn

john john the leprechaun
if you buy a sn the best thing to do is have a 701 in it. 1990 to 1993 have 650 motors with single mikuni 44 (6m6 cases) 1994 to 1995 hav a 701 motor with the same single mikuni 44 (61x cases). that are the years sn's where produced. and any mods after stock all depends on the money that you want to spend. the list is ever ending. p/s welcome to the X

McDog

Other Administrator
Staff member
get the nicest ski with the most mods you can afford, it's cheaper that way.

I agree with the demon. Welcome to the x. Check out the tech faq forum for some more great info. There is a section for 1st superjet mods that will be great for you.

It's much cheaper/easier in the long run to find a ski that someone else has modded up than to do it yourself.

Motorheads5

Livin the generation gap
Welcome You live in a good area to find a nice used ski that's a bonus. like already mentioned go with a 701. Depending on how much experience you have with painting or laying up matting. you might try and find a ski that already has foot hold's installed, after that most everything else is bolt on. Good Luck

Tribby

So far so good. Yeah I had one in particular I was interested in got the foot holds an all already. Got used to em on my buddy's ski. I've been reading up on the mods and tech pages and yeah it does seem to be my best bet to get one already worked up.

So anybody have any "Duh" moments to share that I can learn from? I've already had a couple of those myself that my buddy purposefully didn't warn me about. He thinks it's "cute" when I mess up. *Rolls eyes*

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
Come to Navarre in April and ride some skis with us, dude. You'll get a chance to see what you like and perhaps see Gil naked.

meatball

User Title Unavailable
adjust the carburetor low idle so the engine shuts off when you dont squeeze the throttle. Its much safer/smarter that way

If you want to save money and KNOW you're into the sport, start out with an already modded, good 701 based ski.

get the nicest ski with the most mods you can afford, it's cheaper that way.

x2

You just have to decide what you're budget is. If you're looking to spend $2000-2500 or less then you should be able to pick up a well built SN, but if you can afford to spend closer to $4000 then you can pick yourself up a pretty decent RN. Definitely try to find something with as many mods as you can and footholds/reinforcement/tubbies are always a plus as you won't have to deal with installing them if you don't know much about fiberglass work.

vjhardcore

Ride It Like Ya Stole IT!
Tribby ? Ya is that her avatar? Or is this another one of those too good to be true threads like we had last year that turned out to be a hoaks.

If that is a Pic of you-welcome; and why is it that aside from Mrs.Cattledog we don,t have any hot chicks that ride up here in Canada. FYI my Bdays in March too.....
:naughty: :smlove2:

Tribby

Wow this is all some good stuff. My budget is in to the $2000 area for now because I still have a couple big things I'm working on the side. And I will be there in April weither I have my ski or not. I was at the Orange Beach Comp last year so it's still finfor me to go even when i'm not riding.

And yes that is me. LOL. Why would anybody hoax you guys?

Top Bottom