Aftermarket Superjet hulls - how are they to live with?

Superjets do it all. Any year Superjet. A free ride hull on a lake you probably lose more than you gain
Depends on the type of riding. If you're chasing bouys then yes, buy any other type of riding, the freeride hull will outperform everytime. I had a superjet before getting my superfreak. Now my superjet wasn't a stock hull, it was rockered, shortened 4 inches, tubbies and had a widened tray. The superfreak out handles the superjet in every way and is much more stable and easier to ride. The modified superjet outperformed a stock superjet hull in everyway except on a bouy course.

You should definitely try out the rok. I've never personally ridden one but I don't see why it wouldn't work for you. You just need to find out for yourself. What's funny is two identical hulls with different engine/pump combos, pole length, ride plate length all affect how it handles. Don't get on the rok and expect it to be perfect to start. Will have to take a little tuning time to get it right for you. You may end up wanting a shorter or longer pole but you won't know until you get on it. If the superjet was that good then the aftermarket hull world wouldn't have gained traction as it did. My riding skill stepped up to another level after building my superfreak. It's more predictable, more stable and more comfortable to ride which allows me to ride longer. Plus the lighter weight hull will make your engine feel like it has more power.

holygoat

Site Supporter
Well I got the hull. As I was leaving the guy blurted out "$1000 for the rest of my ski parts if you want". That was the entire driveline including 61x motor, pump, b pipe etc that came out of the ski. So now I have the whole ski. Oops.

Mocked it up last night and the pole feels short but to be expected.

Well I got the hull. As I was leaving the guy blurted out "$1000 for the rest of my ski parts if you want". That was the entire driveline including 61x motor, pump, b pipe etc that came out of the ski. So now I have the whole ski. Oops.

Mocked it up last night and the pole feels short but to be expected.

can never really tell pole length untill you get the ski in the water. give it a shot

Sounds like you got a deal. What kind of pole is it? I would assume dual pole type like a rrp that's fully adjustable. I personally prefer a over pivot style steering setup or ovp for max throw with riser bars..this is all personal preference though. Also basically shortens the pole by default as it moves the bars directly Over the pivot bolt on the steering. Just get it running and go try it out. Then you'll have a starting point on how to fine tune it for your riding.

holygoat

Site Supporter
wdk.jpg

Got it all unpacked last night. Think I'm just gonna take the whole ski down to gelcoat and re-gel it. All the paint is chipping off and I want a hard wearing white.

It is the below pole. X scream steering knuckle too. Fully adjustable.

I'm gonna move the pole towards me a bit. In the above photo it is full length in the current mounting positions, and it is short. A bunch of holes have been drilled so I'm nervous about the weak fibreglass, so I might reglass the front where the pole mounts, and then drill some new holes. I believe the X scream knuckle is something like 5-6" adjustable, so that should help me find something that works.

Listen, for a 1000 dollars and a pit bike I'd make the trade any day. You got a setup and a am hull fully set up. If you don't like it pretty up the hull and parts and sell it. You might be out the time it takes to make it nice but you'll get your money back. Life is about experience, good or bad is all valuable, but iv never seen a sad man on a jetski. Run it and let me see a backflip bro.

I'd definitely remove the pole and glass over the existing mounting holes and drill new ones as well. You could also sell the x metal pole for a rrp style that has more adjustability. You think the pole is too short now but you'll find out once you ride it that you'll want it shorter. The ski will handle nothing like the stock superjet hull. This one will turn much quicker and me much more nimble on the water. The aftermarket hulls are ridden much different and more aggressive to get the most out of it.

holygoat

Site Supporter
Listen, for a 1000 dollars and a pit bike I'd make the trade any day. You got a setup and a am hull fully set up. If you don't like it pretty up the hull and parts and sell it. You might be out the time it takes to make it nice but you'll get your money back. Life is about experience, good or bad is all valuable, but iv never seen a sad man on a jetski. Run it and let me see a backflip bro.

For sure, you can never know until you do it yourself. That's the reason I "wasted" so much time (according to others) messing with 440s, 550s, and 750 swap JS hulls. I got all my money back, learnt a lot and had a bunch of new experiences, plus that $500 basket case 440 was what got me into standups and engine building in the first place. No regrets whatsover, hopefully this will be another interesting experience.

holygoat

Site Supporter
I'd definitely remove the pole and glass over the existing mounting holes and drill new ones as well. You could also sell the x metal pole for a rrp style that has more adjustability. You think the pole is too short now but you'll find out once you ride it that you'll want it shorter. The ski will handle nothing like the stock superjet hull. This one will turn much quicker and me much more nimble on the water. The aftermarket hulls are ridden much different and more aggressive to get the most out of it.

If you see the photo I posted and compare it to that video, my pole is mounted all the way forward. I'm thinking I might put it in a casual position at full extension, and then I can shorten it by up to 5" using the adjustable knuckle.

An RRP pole would be cool. I don't know if there's any value in these x-metal poles anymore? Thinking I'll just get it setup and see, then consider mods in the winter.

For sure, you can never know until you do it yourself. That's the reason I "wasted" so much time (according to others) messing with 440s, 550s, and 750 swap JS hulls. I got all my money back, learnt a lot and had a bunch of new experiences, plus that $500 basket case 440 was what got me into standups and engine building in the first place. No regrets whatsover, hopefully this will be another interesting experience.
Haha bro I just finished my first 550 rebuild top to bottom painted and everything. Was it amazing? No it's a 550. But damn she looks sexy and I learned so much that is not replaceable. I would actual suggest someone do up a 550 for there first project granted when they buy it, it has potential to run, not just a total turd. It taught me about timing, correct ring and piston aseembly and what not to look for and what to look after. In the stand up community what I spent getting it looking nice and rebuilt is pennies on the dollar for a nicer engine and hull setup. Get that ski setup and do some backflips and send some videos. Iv got a tiger craft v3 build I'm doing soon as the finances allow so I'm excited for you as this will be my first am build too.

Attachments

• 20240506_104631.jpg
    20240506_104631.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

holygoat

Site Supporter
Also - since this hull is all fibreglass, is there a reason I shouldn't just gel coat the entire thing? I'm planning to take it down to a bare hull, sand off all the flaking paint, get down to gel coat and gel coat the entire thing white, top to bottom.

Friend of mine works in the marine business and keeps telling me this is the best way to go. He says to just roll it on with a foam roller. I'm assuming I'll need to do some sanding which sucks, I just don't want an awful orange peel finish. I was surprised he said foam roller and not spray.

I don't need an immaculate finish, just something that will last.

holygoat

Site Supporter
Maybe slap it together and try riding it first. Make sure you like it, then make it pretty during the winter?

True, originally I was gonna slap my SJ running gear in it but now I have a whole new set... no need

Top Bottom