Other another oil post

SXIPro

JM781 Big Bore
Can anyone answer the question as to why Amsoil is not TC-W3 rated? Did they try to get the rating and fail? Are they too cheap to pony up the $$ to get certified? Do people just run this on blind faith emptying their wallets at the same time?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
TC-W3 is a marine rating. If they feel their business in all on dry land then why spend the coin on marine approval?

Switched from Amsoil because I was told it had little additives to prevent corrosion.

They make and sell marine oils, they just don't claim the rating.
http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/2-stroke/saber-outboard/?Group=3

Specifically designed for outboard motors, Saber Outboard (ATO) contains a heavy dose of low-temperature dispersant additives that excel at reducing varnish and carbon deposit formation in water-cooled motors. Saber Outboard also performs well in personal watercraft, jet boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles and ATVs. Its low-smoke, low-odor, low-toxicity properties produce fewer emissions at 100:1 mix ratios than oils mixed at 50:1, benefitting operators and the environment. Saber Outboard is formulated to prevent "oil loading" and plug fouling for rapid throttle response, making it ideal for trolling motors. Recommended for pre-mix use where TC-W3 or API TC is specified

Last edited:

schicks

Karma Enforcer
if water is coming in through the carb, it will not sludge with the oil because it will go straight through the carb and out the exhaust. Straight water that has 'seperated' from oil is worse for a motor than oil that mixes with water (the goberments does not care if you blow up a 10k motor, so they want you to useTCW3 oil that seperates from water because it is marine safe) . Any amount of seperated water that is allowed to sit on a crack bearing for any amount of time is going to cause damage. If you are cautious and do not get water in your gas tank and you like your motor, you would want oil that mixes with water and not seperates. Your carb should never gum up from water coming through the intake, it will gum if you have water in your gas tank.

naticen

Site Supporter
Damnit, 2 stroke oil is like a can of worms.
What do you think about this http://www.dootalk.com/forums/topic/84003-oil-test-results/

That definitely seems like a test more fitting for automotive. It's a high oil environment with metal on metal contact, which would be more similar to bi or trimetal bearings. We have ball bearings in skis due to the low oil environment. Like any test, it can definitely relate, although it is only one test and not the real world.

Can anyone answer the question as to why Amsoil is not TC-W3 rated? Did they try to get the rating and fail? Are they too cheap to pony up the $$ to get certified? Do people just run this on blind faith emptying their wallets at the same time?

because they only have 1 oil that is tc-w3 rated(hp marine).. and it did not pass the emissions test... it is really nothing more than interseptor with more rust inhibitors added... but it was in fact tested and passed the rust test.. the epa just wouldn't let them pass it because of emissions.. even though it was put through a marine survival test where it gets introduced to marine life(fishies and what not).. and it passed with 100% survival rate in both categories... so the fishies like it, but the epa doesn't...

air blair

you are the reason
Y'all should be doing a smell test. Run klotz r50 in hp engines. What that gets in my tank straight sits on the bottom

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

So am i wasting my money on amsoil HP marine??

No, I wouldn't say that... I've burned 3 gallons of hp marine through my 701 in the last year internally it's spotless... the word I got from my rep about it was basically that they would rather have an oil that performs than pass a test done by the government to meet emissions while threatening to ban 2 strokes at the same time... I guess I don't base the oil I use off of some test done by anyone but myself.. seems to be the only way you'll get honest results... if you like running the oil that you do and don't have issues, why switch?? "if it aint broke, don't fix it".. if it breaks, pull it apart and prove it was oil failure rather than just worn parts....

Not sure if the 'internally spotless' test means Amsoil is superior to anything. My engine is internally spotless and I run cheapo Walmart oil.

this is why i said run whatever you find to work for you... and the same reason debating "what oil is better" is a waste of time... it's the same concept of what pickup is better, or what football team is better... it's a never ending debate... if the shoe fits, wear it... I don't run hp marine because it's "better than anything else", i run it because i am an amsoil dealer, i will not sit on a forum and tell you "you should run amsoil, because nothing is better", i simply answered his question about an oil being a waste of money, you may think so, someone else might think you risk your engine because you run walmart oil... as i stated earlier, the easiest way to learn what you like the best is simply try it for yourself and find out...

i could care less what oil anyone runs in their ski, as long as they're riding and happy with it, brap on...

naticen

Site Supporter
The only reason you can debate pickups is because Dodge dropped the 5.9. Now pre 08, that would have just been an asinine comment.

As far as football anybody can count who has the most Superbowls.

Therefore I conclude that we can come up with a definitive answer in oil too.

The only reason you can debate pickups is because Dodge dropped the 5.9. Now pre 08, that would have just been an asinine comment.

It's very possible to do it. A test was done for four stroke oils where a spinning disk was pressed on to a piece of metal and the oil was squirted between the disk and the metal. It would leave a scar and it would depict the lubricity of the oil. I'll try to dig it up somewhere.

Sent from GS3 Synergy

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Lol, I've been on graveyard shift for 7 out of the last 9 weeks and have run out of things to research. Very boring when all of the robots are running good.

I just run what is recommended until I get a good enough reason to switch to something else. I actually run Quicksilver Premium Plus which is a grade above the recommended Quicksilver Premium.

My first two stroke was a Seadoo 951 and that thing would not run on anything less than XPS synthetic at $14 a quart. My next was a 92 SJ and I ran nothing but Amsoil Dominator and got 7+ years out of it without issue. When I bought my Summit 800 Skidoo, it wanted nothing but Bombardier Mineral oil which I could buy for $5 quart. I put over 8500 miles on my sled and never turned a bolt so I ended up running out the rest of my Amsoil and switched everything over to the Skidoo 100% mineral oil. I still think it is one of the best oils I have used to date but when my engine builder recommends an oil that is readily available and somewhat cheaper, I'm willing to try it out. So far I have not been disappointed.

If I still had my 951, I think I would have found Klotz and sworn by it. That engine needed every bit of help it could get.

hard to debate this... dodge never made a 5.9... therefore one can't simply say "they dropped the 5.9"... Ford owns cummins, therefore you said dodge would be best if they still ran a ford engine... inconclusive debate...

with this logic, start a poll on who uses what oil, highest number must be "the best"

therefore you would then have your definitive answer to "what oil is best"...

Lol, I've been on graveyard shift for 7 out of the last 9 weeks and have run out of things to research. Very boring when all of the robots are running good.

I just run what is recommended until I get a good enough reason to switch to something else. I actually run Quicksilver Premium Plus which is a grade above the recommended Quicksilver Premium.

My first two stroke was a Seadoo 951 and that thing would not run on anything less than XPS synthetic at $14 a quart. My next was a 92 SJ and I ran nothing but Amsoil Dominator and got 7+ years out of it without issue. When I bought my Summit 800 Skidoo, it wanted nothing but Bombardier Mineral oil which I could buy for $5 quart. I put over 8500 miles on my sled and never turned a bolt so I ended up running out the rest of my Amsoil and switched everything over to the Skidoo 100% mineral oil. I still think it is one of the best oils I have used to date but when my engine builder recommends an oil that is readily available and somewhat cheaper, I'm willing to try it out. So far I have not been disappointed.

If I still had my 951, I think I would have found Klotz and sworn by it. That engine needed every bit of help it could get.

i think this post says it all... "this is why i said run whatever you find to work for you"(as i stated in post #33) .. this man did his own real world testing on what he liked and ran with it, and "so far I have not been disappointed"... i would assume this means he has been pleased with every oil he has run?

let this conclude your test... run the oil you want, until you have a proven reason not to...

Top Bottom