Another Reinforcing Thread

I think I used a 12oz biax with 5.6 carbon over that. I did an extra layer on the bond line and hood seal lip. Even with this, I do have a crack on the hood seal lip.

Like others have said, it really comes down to how you plan to ride. If you plan to start rolling or flipping on Lake Michigan, don't skimp yourself too much.
You could do a layer or two of 17oz biax 4-5 inches wide along the bond line and along the hood seal area. Then just one layer of 10oz over the whole thing. You could just use black fiberglass http://www.fibreglast.com/showproducts-category-Black Fiberglass-132.html
I probably wouldn't bother to do carbon again, just black fiberglass.
I wouldn't do the bottom of the hull. Just adding weight for no reason.

Yeah thats sounds good. The 5-6" strip of 1708 then a layer of 10 over that. What about around the pole mount? Would 10oz be enough or shall I get more 1708 and use that?

I did foam on my bondline, but 404 will work fine too. Don't sand smooth. Fill the bondline and then lay your glass immediately after that so it can adhere to the filler in the bond line and all dry at the same time.

I would want 17oz or a few layers of the 10 oz on the pole mount.

Okay so I think that I've got it all figured out what I'm gonna order. Im gonna get 1/2 gal of 3:1 epoxy, 2 yards of 1708, 3 yards of 8.5, 3 yards of 10, 2lbs of 1/4" chopped mat, and some 404. Will the chopped mat even be nessecary if using the 404 tho?

Frosty

New York Crew
I did foam on my bondline, but 404 will work fine too. Don't sand smooth. Fill the bondline and then lay your glass immediately after that so it can adhere to the filler in the bond line and all dry at the same time.

I would want 17oz or a few layers of the 10 oz on the pole mount.

yup, i used 404 as well, laid at the same time as the cloth I was using to reinforce with... much better to get a chemical bond than a mechanical bond.

I can't see any reason for the chopped mat.
I don't think you will need 3 yrds of 1708. That seems like a ton. Especially if you don't lay it on the entire side.
Why the 8.5oz AND 10 oz?

Top Bottom