Other anti gravity batteries

skinnyman

YOU CANT RENT MY SKI
Not much talk here about them and their failure rate
I have 2 that have failed and know of 2 chargers that failed and overcharged the batteries to the point of swelled up and smoking
I know of another 2 that have failed in a different ski
1 in another ski So that's 5 batteries and 2 chargers in less than a year
I have talked with them several times due to warranty issues and its always my fault (charging system putting out to much voltage hum guess my TL grew a charging coil).To there credit they have sent me two new batteries but it was a pita to get them.
Im going back to deka etx 9 for my starting needs .

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
That is disappointing. There were a couple of people on here vouching for these and promising that this one would be different. Guess not.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Mine was one of the recent failures. 12 Cell died on Sunday on the 8 or 9th tank of gas, i'm running an Enhancer, so stock charging system. I sent them a email last night, waiting to hear back.

I want to get on the water this weekend... i'm trying to decide if I should run a EXT9 also or pay for another 12cell because I feel confidant that I won't get a replacement before this weekend. Not that I expect that kind of turn around..... Just trying to decide which direction to go from here on out.

I have learned that these batteries will slowly drain out if you rely only on the stock charging system. They do not respond to a light maintenance charge and need a good charger to receive and store voltage. Otherwise they are very powerful imo.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I think it's ridiculous these batteries get marketed to various Powersports users with bold claims of not needing a balancing port and that the stock charging system is adequate. Are these people really just using their customers for R&D?

I'm on my second 16 cell battery. My first one the negative terminal broke free from the case and it wouldn't make a good connection any more. Waiting to see if I get warranty on it or not.

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
I've always advocated use of a better charger than their standard charger. A high quality hobby type works wonders, and easily tells you battery condition if you know what to look for. These are microprocessor based cc/cv chargers and I believe they are far better for the batteries than the standard charger. That said, I have had a failure, and a customer had one as well. Both were handled, but I too was asked to check my charging system, as it had been overcharged. It certainly appears that failures are becoming more common, but most seem charger related, or cracked terminals. I do know that my issue was not a charging one, so there are some failures occurring. They are still one of the better choices out there, but not sure about long term durability in our applications. I wonder if there may have been a cell construction change that they are not aware of. It's interesting to see too that their warranty has been updated recently.

I've always advocated use of a better charger than their standard charger. A high quality hobby type works wonders, and easily tells you battery condition if you know what to look for. These are microprocessor based cc/cv chargers and I believe they are far better for the batteries than the standard charger. That said, I have had a failure, and a customer had one as well. Both were handled, but I too was asked to check my charging system, as it had been overcharged. It certainly appears that failures are becoming more common, but most seem charger related, or cracked terminals. I do know that my issue was not a charging one, so there are some failures occurring. They are still one of the better choices out there, but not sure about long term durability in our applications. I wonder if there may have been a cell construction change that they are not aware of. It's interesting to see too that their warranty has been updated recently.

Is this a suitable hobby charger? Looks just like the ballistic charger, and has very similar ratings. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ssories.html?gclid=CLvekLjM2LgCFbCDQgodS1wA0w

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
It's of the proper design, but I question the accuracy at that price point. I prefer the Fma series, Hyperion, or I chargers. Expect to spend around 75-100 bucks. Well worth it IMO. In over 5 years of dealing with lithiums, I've never poofed one (knocking on wood ;)). Poofing is almost always a result of excessive current in/out or improper voltage.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
I hope you know I wasn't calling you out (as a dealer), Phil. I am just a little disappointed with these failure reports and warranty stories that are starting to sound a lot like Ballistic's.

swapmeet

Brotastic
Hmmm... Prorated warranty? I guess I'll stick with the EXT9

Returns MUST be accompanied by:

A copy of Original Receipt or Purchase Invoice
Filled our Warranty Claims form (contact info@antigravitybatteries for a form)
Antigravity Batteries -Issued RMA#
Products found NOT defective after in-house testing at Antigravity can only be returned to customers, at their expense for shipping.

The 3 Year Limited Warranty is on a pro-rated basis based from the original date of purchase. Only ONE battery replacement will be given under warranty.

1-5 Months — Free Replacement

6-12 Months — 75% discount from retail MSRP

13-24 Months — 50% discount from retail MSRP

25-36 Months — 25% discount from retail MSRP

If the battery is used in racing competition of any kind, warranty is limited to 1 year.

TOTAL-LOSS SYSTEMS OR NON-STANDARD USE IS NOT WARRANTIED!

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
No worries Matt.

Biggest warranty change is the " only one replacement". That's been updated. It certainly seems as if something's changed recently. My original 20 cell had 150-200 gallons on it and was still going strong when I sold it to a customer.

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
I have learned that these batteries will slowly drain out if you rely only on the stock charging system. They do not respond to a light maintenance charge and need a good charger to receive and store voltage. Otherwise they are very powerful imo.

Good info. A stock charging system won't put out enough voltage to fully charge it. I always suggest a frequent charge to top off (with good charger), even on charging systems. If you ride freestyle and bail a lot, it's more of an issue as the charging system won't keep up, and you're pulling a fair amount on each start.

deftons56

Brian
I had a 16 cell stop working... Oh well only 300 bucks down the drain :banghead: I bought another 12 cell and if this one fails AG can suck my balls.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Philip Clemmons

Owner, P&P Performance
I had a 16 cell stop working... Oh well only 300 bucks down the drain :banghead: I bought another 12 cell and if this one fails AG can suck my balls.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Lol at the last comment :).......

Did you attempt to have it warrantied and they said no or just bought another?

Last edited:
Top Bottom