Anybody tow their standups with a manual transmission car?

I'm curious if towing a pair of standups with a manual transmission sedan would be problematic. Would the launch ramp cause excessive wear on the clutch?

One car I'm considering is a Lexus IS300 - it has a 2000 lb towing capacity, 215hp and 218 ft/lbs of torque.

thanks

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I tow with a Ford Ranger with a 4 cylinder 2.3l engine with a manual.
I know it's not a sedan, but it's got no guts at all.
Tows just fine.

kraqus

Site Supporter
Not at all. I used to tow my skis with a small Toyota PU truck 4 speed before I moved to a Tacoma. Now don't get carried away because you have to STOP the vehicle as well but for you at 215hp and 218 ft/lbs of torque with your Lexus should be more than enough......and stopping power as well.

Benny

Last edited:
good info to know! - I just can't stand driving a semi sporty car with an automatic - I also can't stand buying a real tow vehicle if all I haul are ~1000 lb trailers

Bobert540

Site Supporter
I tow with my subaru impreza 2.5rs. 2.5 4cyl non turbo. No problems at all. I get weird looks at the ramp but I laugh when they spin their tires and I pull away with ease.

I used to tow a 96 seadoo hx and a 96 seadoo xp on a double trailer behind a 1990 honda crx si with a manual transmission. Shoot, I took a 650 mile road trip with em to daytona... I used to go all over the place. The only problem I had was a quick stop.....the weight of the skis pushed me into an intersection one time with the brakes locked up! yikes

Pull the E-brake at the bottom of the ramp. Keep the button pressed in with your finger and give it gas and let the clutch out like you would on a regular incline. The second you feel the car start to go forward push the E-brake back down. No problems.

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
This is another reason why my 90 subaru legacy owns all... Hill holder. If the clutch and brake are held in at the same time the brake is held until the clutch is released. Its briliant.

shawn_NJ

Chasing waves.
I used to tow my old blaster around with my 1.3L RX-7 convertible 5speed. Long gradual ramps SUCK in cars that are low! Many times I had to dunk the car alot more then I would have liked. Keep that inmind! I have a Jeep now and will never own a small sports car for as long as I am jetsking.

I used to tow my old 3 seater Polaris with my old 86 accord.. Did just fine. Should have no problems unless the Ebrake doesn't work, or you can't drive a manual well..

Sounds like one of my friends that pulls his pop up camper with an 88' accord, its looks funny drivin behind him cuz the camper is wider than the car

You'll have no problem towing with the Lexus. I have a BMW 328is with a manual transmission that I use as a tow vehicle. The owner's manual says not to tow anything, but it has plenty of power to tow a couple jetskis and more than enough braking power as well. I could never bare the thought of getting a truck cuz I can't stand driving them. For the amount of time you likely spend with a trailer behind your car you're better to stick with what you enjoy driving for the remainder of the 97% of time you drive without a trailer.

Like others have said, just be kind to the clutch on the loading ramps and you'll be fine. No need to rev it to the moon and ride the clutch up the ramp. The e-brake is definitely your friend on the ramps too to keep you from rolling back.

This past summer we had our car loaded to the max and it never seemed over-burdened at any time. A trailer with a SJ and an Octane as well as all our camping gear for a week.

Attachments

• Camping09.jpg
    Camping09.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 62
  • Camping 09 - 2.jpg
    Camping 09 - 2.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 53
Top Bottom