Other Anyone else considering changing jobs in this current economic climate?

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
The last furniture I purchased was a set of zero gravity chairs by "relax the back". Premium cowhide leather and solid wood construction. :biggrin:

Everything has it's place.

kraqus

Site Supporter
Apparently the last hurtle is going to prove the most difficult. I need to take a drug test and we are right in the middle of our annual plant outage. Today was day 12 of a 21 day stretch of work, (providing we actually start back up on schedule). I am working 6am to 6pm each day so I leave home at 4:30am and don't return until a little before 8pm. Since the drug lab is 65 miles away, I won't be able to get the test done for another week unless I can find a closer lab. :Banghead:

Nothing worse than seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and then having the brakes thrown on the train.

I praise your work ethics....it is admirable.
But at this point, since you are committed to the new job, I would call in sick that one day.

Benny

OCD Solutions

That's not an option. I am performing a massive upgrade to our process network and nobody else knows even the slightest thing about it. Since my boss quit and they fired my coworker last month, I am the only one on site that can perform this work. Once complete, it will run well enough and long enough for them to find someone else that can dig in and learn it but, until the last change is made, I need to be there.

I have an exit strategy and it's all going to plan so far. I have loose ends I need to tie up and projects I need to finish but it's gonna come together nicely. It works out well with our annual outage because we treat it like our fiscal year end. Everything gets completed by the end of the shutdown and it's a fresh start afterwards. Perfect time to walk away before the new stuff hits my desk. I have had several items come my way already and it's been difficult to play along. People will get suspicious if I'm noncommittal as it's very much out of character.

This company will get 110% out of me right till the last day. It's all I know how to give. Despite recent differences, they have been really good to me over the years and I have made a lot of friends. None of which I want to let down or set up for failure.

OCD Solutions

Yes, the topic comes up regularly. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Maybe one of the reasons I stayed as long as I did. I definitely know I am valued and appreciated there.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Yes, the topic comes up regularly. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Maybe one of the reasons I stayed as long as I did. I definitely know I am valued and appreciated there.

You say that your current job is paying you salary. Of course they are going to say things to make you feel warm and fuzzy. They are paying you for 40 hours per week and you are working 108.5 per week for 3 weeks straight. Take your salary and cut it in almost 1/3 to see what you are truly earning during these weeks.

You have an excellent work ethic, however, you could really screw yourself. I would call in sick and go to that drug test so the new job doesn't suspect anything and not hire you.

Good luck with the new job. It sounds like a wise move.

OCD Solutions

Today is day 17 of 21 and I have already worked over 200hrs. I spent 21hrs on site on monday, slept for 6hrs in the backseat of my truck and came back in and worked another 17 on tuesday before finally driving home last night. I slept in this morning, went for breakfast and my drug test and sauntered in around 8:45am. Nobody said a word to me about it.

The new company fully understands the nature of what I am dealing with right now and will require the same dedication. If anything they are impressed with how well I am handling it all. I have been nothing other than honest and upfront with them and kept them in the loop with everything.

It also bears noting that I never applied for this new job, nor had I ever heard of them before they contacted me. They saw my resume on LinkedIn and recruited me.

djkorn1

kidkornfilms
Site Supporter
Glad to know they are supportive of what you are doing now and that you got that drug test done so you can move on.

Do you have any kids? or a wife? I am sure they will be thrilled that you are no longer working like that.

Last edited:

kraqus

Site Supporter
Today is day 17 of 21 and I have already worked over 200hrs. I spent 21hrs on site on monday, slept for 6hrs in the backseat of my truck and came back in and worked another 17 on tuesday before finally driving home last night. I slept in this morning, went for breakfast and my drug test and sauntered in around 8:45am. Nobody said a word to me about it.

DUUUUUUUDE!

U da man!

Benny

OCD Solutions

Well today is day 19. I went in at noon yesterday so I could stay late and help with startup of the technical aspects of our facility. I worked at it all night and finally left today just after noon. The plant is up and running again.

As I was walking out after my 25hr shift, I got an email saying that I am now on call for the entire weekend. I just finished reading that when my useless excuse for a boss walked up and asked if I had time to look at one more thing. What a douche. The lazy prick didn't lift a finger for the entire shutdown, left everyday before everyone of his direct reports and even had the balls to complain about how tired he was.

I finally got home around 3 this afternoon and was greeted by an email stating that I have passed the final hurtles of my verifications and am now officially an employee of Broetje Automation. :biggrin:

Now, the big question is; do I email my letter of resignation tonight or wait till monday and hand deliver it? :naughty:

Did I mention that after working 260hrs in 19 days I am now on call? :banghead:

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I sense a bit more upset than usual :biggrin:

I'd hand-deliver it. That's how I've always done it.

OCD Solutions

Iol, I am a little more emotional than normal. To be expected at this point. Everybody is exhausted.

I was texting my new boss for the last couple days trying to find out if I had completed verification so I could give notice before I left tonight. I even had the letter in my hand when he confronted me on my way out the door. How sweet would it have been to have handed him the letter at that exact moment, lol.

Top Bottom