Are tubbies better for flatwater or surf?

bign1514

"Rock-Man"
Are tubbies good for all around handling or just in the surf. I ride flatwater and may be considering putting tubbies on my build right now. Just wanted to get a little feedback... any thoughts?

thanks

wydopen

onthepipe
id say the benefits are greater in the surf but for just rec riding they are great too...the only way i would say not to run em is if you were only doing flatwater competitions and never turned your ski out of the footwells

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
I think they're great for both, but really shine in the surf.

That said, it made the ride on both of my SJ's much more enjoyable even on flat water.

It takes some getting used to, but once you do, it's hard going back.

oxnard111

Creative RE Purchasing
I think they're great for both, but really shine in the surf.

That said, it made the ride on both of my SJ's much more enjoyable even on flat water.

It takes some getting used to, but once you do, it's hard going back.

i can't do flat water tricks, but i felt there was no getting used to them. it made my ski feel exactly like it did before, but better. It is hard to describe. I felt like I immediately could control them. only took getting used to mid range acceleration. chin walk.

Matt_E

Site Supporter
i can't do flat water tricks, but i felt there was no getting used to them. it made my ski feel exactly like it did before, but better. It is hard to describe. I felt like I immediately could control them. only took getting used to mid range acceleration. chin walk.

That's partly what I am talking about.

Additionally, turn subs, subs, and some other stuff requires different balance.

Some say that Tubbies make those tricks too hard, but that's where "getting used to it (instead of bitching)" comes in.

i have an sj with tubbies and one without. it is night and day difference for me. i hate riding without tubbies now. o yea i ride flat water.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
That's partly what I am talking about.

Additionally, turn subs, subs, and some other stuff requires different balance.

Some say that Tubbies make those tricks too hard, but that's where "getting used to it (instead of bitching)" comes in.

I have given up debating this topic.... so I will let stats speak for them selves.....

Go find pictures of all the SJ's that have competed in Freestyle competitions and any level, pro or amatuer. Tell me if any have Tubbies on there....

I have never seen one.

WaHoo_1

Surf Swimmer
I have given up debating this topic.... so I will let stats speak for them selves.....

Go find pictures of all the SJ's that have competed in Freestyle competitions and any level, pro or amatuer. Tell me if any have Tubbies on there....

I have never seen one.

nope, not too many WF boats have them either....

Foximus

CFL Cheapass.

I have never seen one.

Could this be because that most custom hulls are molded wider in the front anyway?

I rode a 550 with them installed and within 30 seconds decided I would never build a 550 without them, I and I feel like my Sjets nose rides the same way in turns as my 550. Im currently glassing mine in now, and waiting on an exhaust from Nikad :Eyecrazy: So it may be a couple months before I get to try them.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Could this be because that most custom hulls are molded wider in the front anyway?

I rode a 550 with them installed and within 30 seconds decided I would never build a 550 without them, I and I feel like my Sjets nose rides the same way in turns as my 550. Im currently glassing mine in now, and waiting on an exhaust from Nikad :Eyecrazy: So it may be a couple months before I get to try them.

1. There are not that many people actually competing on AM Hulls. And those that have (illegally) did not have them molded it..
2. A kawi 550 is a lean in hull whereas a SJ is not a lean in hull, they do not handle the same.

But if you like them. That is your choice.

Matt_E

Site Supporter

I have never seen one.

I am certainly not debating it.

What I gave is my personal opinion.
You know I can't speak for you. :biggthumpup:

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member

I have never seen one.
he didn't ask about freestyle.

Big Kahuna

Administrator
Are tubbies good for all around handling or just in the surf. I ride flatwater and may be considering putting tubbies on my build right now. Just wanted to get a little feedback... any thoughts?

thanks

he didn't ask about freestyle.

your absolutely correct, I took "I ride flatwater" to mean just that...........

Every SJ that I have been on when riding flatwater chine walks really bad with them....

I love them in the surf or really really rough condititons

bign1514

"Rock-Man"
this thread got some mixed options. I do ride flat water - but do want to get into flatwater freestyle (not competing - just for fun)

thanks for all the input!!

ive pretty much have a freestyle setup...
Are tubbies better for flatwater or surf? - only thing i am missing is an aftermarket ignition system. ( i think)

check out my build thread

http://www.x-h2o.com/threads/32756

Last edited:
Top Bottom