Are tubbies better for flatwater or surf?

Mike Serlin

NOW SPORTING A BIONIC LEG
The major thing i noticed about my tubbies was that it made my superjet rail like an sxr. So for flatwater freestyle it obviously wouldnt have any benefits. The high speed chine walk was pretty noticible, however that has a lot to do with where you put the tubbies. If you raise them up from the bottom an inch it helps a lot. I would recceomend getting the race tubbies if you ride mostly flatwater. Its kinda the best of both worlds.

D-Roc

I forgot!
i don't know about all of you guys but i switched to the superjet because i liked that it rode like a....superjet. if i wanted my ski to handle like a kawi........

WaveDemon

Not Dead - Notable Member
i don't know about all of you guys but i switched to the superjet because i liked that it rode like a....superjet. if i wanted my ski to handle like a kawi........
please, I've never noticed anything negative about a tubbies. it gets rid of the twitchiness when you lean it over because the transition isn't 90 degrees anyomore. if you don't lean it over it rides the SAME.

I'd like to hear from someone who didn't like tubbies and why.

D-Roc

I forgot!
I have heard a few guy's complain about the extra weight up front when doing rolls.

i know smitty hated tubbies, i don't think it was from weight. i liked what they did to my kawi back in the day but after riding superjets more and more i like the fact they didn't turn like on rails. It is just my preference. The few times i get to ride waves i don't mind eating water a few times back to shore....keeps me awake.

Last edited:

Big Kahuna

Administrator
please, I've never noticed anything negative about a tubbies. it gets rid of the twitchiness when you lean it over because the transition isn't 90 degrees anyomore. if you don't lean it over it rides the SAME.

I do not like how the ski will rock from side to side with them. Also, doing flat water it makes the nose to bouyant at times, if doing a fakey sub it makes it harder to bury nose. This is only on flat water........ There you go.........

jetskier79

I'm goin' for two
Over time I have come to the conclusion that tubbies make any superjet more enjoyable to ride. They allow you to really lean a SJ over without the terrible tendency for the ski to just "fall over" like they do.

Mind you, the key word here is more enjoyable. Will I ever build a ski again without them? No. Are the a REQUIREMENT? No way.

A decent rider can overcome (or more like avoid) that angle of lean that will completely unhook the ski. And a high HP motor, like so many flatwater skis are, will mitigate the recovery aspect tubbies give.

But all in all tubbies put a whole lot of fun into a SJ. Not because they are training wheels, but they allow you to ride the ski like you can't ride it otherwise.

All that being said....for a freestyle only ski? Meh, I don't see much point. I can't speak to that as the number of flatwater tricks in my roster is 0. (ask Ratti, I rode flatwater with him yesterday :chairshot:)

thegoldenboy

RN Surgery... soon
I'd really like to ride an SJ with Tubbies, never have.

Most of the riding I do, is launching off boat wakes, a lot of the time it ends up being flatwater due to boat traffic being low.

I would love the SJ to rail better, but its not a requirement. On the other hand I like how I can throw the whole machine sideways and slide for 100'.

I think I need to try them.

bign1514

"Rock-Man"
a lot of different options.... a good read! i want to do tricks, but i also like to freeride. I am going to try some tubbies out and see what my option is of them. thanks for the info!

stanton

High on jetskis.

im not running tubbies at the moment because im not convinced its worth the money for my riding. i can slash super deep now and im not subbing accidentally.
imo its a crutch, may save you if you do something wrong. i am pretty light @ 135 so i could definetly see how it would help if you had more weight.

someday.. maybe...

Big Kahuna

Administrator
If I could build up a second SJ for just ripping the lake up, it would have tubbies, extensions, long ride plate, it would also have a dry pipe, probably not even footholds (Well, maybe put some in!!!!!!!). The reason being, tubbies were built to help the ski handle the turns better, but it takes a combination to really utilize them, the rest of that combo is not really good for a freestyle/freeride ski. ie long ride plate and hull extensions.

The major thing i noticed about my tubbies was that it made my superjet rail like an sxr. So for flatwater freestyle it obviously wouldnt have any benefits. The high speed chine walk was pretty noticible, however that has a lot to do with where you put the tubbies. If you raise them up from the bottom an inch it helps a lot. I would recceomend getting the race tubbies if you ride mostly flatwater. Its kinda the best of both worlds.

Mike is right on. I have run the 2's for a couple years and love them for the surf and flat... I will tell you this.. Tubbies 2's on a flat are almost needed if you don't do flatwater freestyle... They make a SJ a carving machine and the chine walk is non existent if you raise the tubbies up a bit... my ski has no noticeable chine walk at all...

fyi - Most people prefer 1's in the surf...

Top Bottom