Barrel Roll Tips Needed

maef

Fly
Hi. I’ve practicing barrels rolls for almost 1 year now. I usually ride waves, but I can’t seem to fully rotate the ski (plate to plate). I actually did a couple times, but most times it ends on a ¾ rotation and many times with the front of the ski much higher.
I read some of you guys saying the best way to complete is by pulling the back of the ski close to your butt, but I can’t seem to understand that because it seems I will make the front go even higher. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips in how to complete the trick or tell me what I am doing right or wrong. I posted a video below (it is from April 2009). I guess I had improved a little since then, but it can give some idea on how my riding is. I really appreciate your help.

Cheers from Brazil.
Marco.

Attachments

• Barrell Roll.jpg
    Barrell Roll.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:
Your surf riding looks great.
Okay.....your rolls.....it looks like your are almost throwing your body down into the roll. You need to get the back end of the ski loose coming up the face of the wave. You are leaving the wave totally straight and then having to throw the boat into the roll rather than letting the boat just come around you.
Something to remember, you want the boat to pivot around the nose.

maef

Fly
Thanks!! But how can I make the back end to be loose?

Your surf riding looks great.
Okay.....your rolls.....it looks like your are almost throwing your body down into the roll. You need to get the back end of the ski loose coming up the face of the wave. You are leaving the wave totally straight and then having to throw the boat into the roll rather than letting the boat just come around you.
Something to remember, you want the boat to pivot around the nose.

Crank the bars and pin the throttle sooner. Think of doing a 180 on flat water......you goose it and the back end slides. You need to do this as you go up the wave........kind of .......All while still pointing forward

Last edited:

tom21

havin fun
I think I have the same issue, I am more trying to throw all the weight of my body down and over to get the roll while turning and pinning it. I think this may "technically" be the advice but its not working. just like for you.

what I think I may be doing wrong is turning too late and not letting the ski do more of the work. I will turn and gas just a sec sooner and try to let the ski get airborn some more than I have been before I try to move my body over the rail/nose.

does this seem like it would fix his rolls? turn sooner, and use your body later?

I think I have the same issue, I am more trying to throw all the weight of my body down and over to get the roll while turning and pinning it. I think this may "technically" be the advice but its not working. just like for you.

what I think I may be doing wrong is turning too late and not letting the ski do more of the work. I will turn and gas just a sec sooner and try to let the ski get airborn some more than I have been before I try to move my body over the rail/nose.

does this seem like it would fix his rolls? turn sooner, and use your body later?

Yes, my rolls used to all be 3/4 just like this. They one day I "accidentaly" turned and pinned it sooner. I felt the back end slide up the wave and I thought it was going to be really ugly........it was the tightest and fastest spin I have ever had.
One other thing parrdaddy sugested to me was if you are making full rotation but landing really nose high, try hitting the wave at an angle.

maef

Fly
How much throttle do you give when hitting the wave? like half? full throttle? I have a 760cc. Also, pardon mu ignorance, but what do you guys mean by "pin it"?
Thanks!

You're going too slow.

It looks like you're slowing down just before you hit the wave and thus losing momentum.

IKSTEJ

BOGIE
Turning is everything
on everyone that was nose up and half around .... you totally did not turn left.
turn right at the bottom of the wave, and "pin" it turning left off the wave
Also if you put the pole down, the nose will go down.
If I've said it once I've yelled it a million times turn the F#ckin bars man :) :barrel:

Hi. I’ve practicing barrels rolls for almost 1 year now. I usually ride waves, but I can’t seem to fully rotate the ski (plate to plate). I actually did a couple times, but most times it ends on a ¾ rotation and many times with the front of the ski much higher.
I read some of you guys saying the best way to complete is by pulling the back of the ski close to your butt, but I can’t seem to understand that because it seems I will make the front go even higher. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips in how to complete the trick or tell me what I am doing right or wrong. I posted a video below (it is from April 2009). I guess I had improved a little since then, but it can give some idea on how my riding is. I really appreciate your help.

Cheers from Brazil.
Marco.
YouTube - Barrel Roll Training

Agreed - your rolling the ski with your body weight not the steering! You should feel the steering hit the stop with a 'clunk' as you leave the wave. Everything else looks fine (speed, height, commitment etc) Just turn those chuffin bars!

maef

Fly
I think I got it! I will turn the bars and pin it! As soon as I nail it, I will post a video here! Thanks a lot!

Agreed - your rolling the ski with your body weight not the steering! You should feel the steering hit the stop with a 'clunk' as you leave the wave. Everything else looks fine (speed, height, commitment etc) Just turn those chuffin bars!

Crab

thanks darin...noswad!
Listen for the sweet sound of the engine bouncing off the rev limiter as your spinning.....and don't land superman.:barrel:

Top Bottom