Super Jet Bendix boom and TBM flywheel carnage

hey, "i don't spell so good", it look like you put $234.00:lame:

guess ill be given MR.maniac a PM.

Last edited:
Tim seems to think the heat from the friction may have weakened the magnets. as for the loss of material he said if it is semi uniform to not worry about it as the wheel is so light to begin with it will most likely not be an issue. i could sand it or lath it down but he said there is not much material to work with especially since its already "ground" down.
my buddy said to check it for trueness and if it is not out of round, which i doubt it is, to run it.
so I'm going to give it a little attention and if it still throws a good spark I'm running it.
im on the fence about using a used oem bendix. i gues if its off a newer ski with out any water issues/rust i should be good???

does any body know what to look for in regards to signs of wear/or how to properly test the quality of a bendix?
id imagine the spring tension and gear wear would be a good place to start.

OCD Solutions

Original, Clean and Dependable Solutions
Just a thought, John at JSS has a test bench that he can mount the flywheel and run it up to speed to measure the pulse output.

We've sent him entire systems before for testing and he has found which component was the weak link for us. Most times it ends up being a couple components but being able to spin the flywheel is priceless.

Tim seems to think the heat from the friction may have weakened the magnets. as for the loss of material he said if it is semi uniform to not worry about it as the wheel is so light to begin with it will most likely not be an issue. i could sand it or lath it down but he said there is not much material to work with especially since its already "ground" down.
my buddy said to check it for trueness and if it is not out of round, which i doubt it is, to run it.
so I'm going to give it a little attention and if it still throws a good spark I'm running it.
im on the fence about using a used oem bendix. i gues if its off a newer ski with out any water issues/rust i should be good???

does any body know what to look for in regards to signs of wear/or how to properly test the quality of a bendix?
id imagine the spring tension and gear wear would be a good place to start.
Don't put an a/m bendix in anything you care about. they are Chinese junk. A used one that you know for a fact is near new may be ok, but think about this. When bendix don't disengage they start to come apart right away. bendix are not made to turn 7500rpm. Save your self $ and misery at the beach and buy one from your yamaha dealer. $234 for brand new oem. Mabe $100 for aftermarket or used, When it is 8ft sik waves at teira and your bedix blows Would'nt you give the $134 in a heart beat to be out riding with your friends rather than going home to dig through the carnage? Just my 2cents.

Last edited:
I've seen and heard of a lot of TBM flywheels that have done this. For some reason, the bendix always lets go and destroys everything else. It's more common than you think.
Interesting... I have not been around any tbm wheels, but if the teeth are angled, spaced and cut in a way that bendix disengagement is not happening every time, the bendix can't take 7500rpm and will fail quickly. Clearance from the wheel teeth to the bendix could also cause disengagement problems aswell.

Last edited:
Don't put an a/m bendix in anything you care about. they are Chinese junk. A used one that you know for a fact is near new may be ok, but think about this. When bendix don't disengage they start to come apart right away. bendix are not made to turn 7500rpm. Save your self $ and misery at the beach and buy one from your yamaha dealer. $234 for brand new oem. Mabe $100 for aftermarket or used, When it is 8ft sik waves at teira and your bedix blows Would'nt you give the $134 in a heart beat to be out riding with your friends rather than going home to dig through the carnage? Just my 2cents.
Hey.... have you been spying on me cuz thats exactly what happend. made my last TDM trip was real short. I will never use an A/M bendix. ill go used oem before i go A/M
and yes i would have gave the coin to ride, hell it cost me 75+ bucks just to make the trip and that doesnt count fuel in the ski.

ive got an oem bendix out of a 2004 sj on the way $28 shipped from dirkdiggler. if it dont look good or im not gettn a fuzzy fealing about it ill change it out for a new oem. at least the used one will let me test the ski. if the wheel still throws good spark ill go from there. I have cover seals (extra) and a spring on the way im going to call blowsion tmro and see if they have the bushings in stock.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
After the last used OEM bendix, I just bit the bullet and bought new. Same with the starter

Proformance1

Liquid Insanity
Site Supporter
Vendor Account
Dont lose the washers, there are two in there and if the spring seems rusty or weak replace it for the 5 bucks! Same with Bronze bushings, change them. I use a 1/2 tap ,then attach a slide hammer to a bolt, they pop right out. Grease the two ends, make sure rear bendix washer is on and grease 6mm washer into cover area to hold it on while putting cover back on

got the Bendix and seals a new spring, still gotta get bushings.
here are a few pics.

anybody know how to test the quality of the Bendix?

on the "new" bendix the front and back shaft measure out a little thicker than the one that blew, must mean it has less wear, the gear that engages the flywheel looks to have the same wear as the one that blew.

Attachments

• DSCN8053.jpg
    DSCN8053.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN8054.jpg
    DSCN8054.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN8055.jpg
    DSCN8055.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 27
got the Bendix and seals a new spring, still gotta get bushings.
here are a few pics.

anybody know how to test the quality of the Bendix?

on the "new" bendix the front and back shaft measure out a little thicker than the one that blew, must mean it has less wear, the gear that engages the flywheel looks to have the same wear as the one that blew.
You like going to Veges? LOL

Top Bottom