Freestyle Bendix / Starter stripping

I keep stripping the starter and bendix. I think it is from all my failed backflip attempts(landing nose-first as only getting 3/4 around - my form is terrible), causing the bendix to be pushed into the flywheel. I never had a problem when I was doing flat-spins. Any recommended mods to the bendix?

eastcoastjumper

James
Site Supporter
I've nosed in flips, landed upside down, crashed in every way imaginable and my bendix doesn't push into my flywheel. You might have a broken spring/ear/ or weight inside. When you take it apart it should be fairly obvious if it's right or not.

Everything else looks fine, has happened with a few bendixes and starters now.
It is on my DASA 1200 with a ATP TS2 ignition. I have seen others also have problems develop after a few months on the TS2, seems to be ring gear holding the bendix. I ground all the flywheel teeth today, as compared to an OEM flywheel, the teeth are wide and seem to cause the bendix teeth to bind on it a bit. Added a second spring to bendix as when it is held upside down, the bendix opens half the way, with a second spring it stays closed and still has full travel. Tested it quickly, bendix engages perfectly.

link

LFR
It has to do with your TS2

Yep.

Get a cable and email ATP for the 40 degree flash, set the static at 40 and you are good to go.

We have a lot of time with flames, the big motors at 50 are kicking back and stripping/busting bendix's, this flash works.

I set all my early flames at 48 static and factor this into the curve, run good big batteries too.

Hey bud. Bad news is its the TS2. I had the same issue. Apparently there is a new flash that needs to be downloaded to take the static timing to 40'. they didn't inform anyone that I knew was also running the set up so I had to learn the hard way like yourself by using the X. PM and I will be more then happy to fill you in the complete story and issues. here are just a few of mine that I went through but then again...

Attachments

• starters and bendix.JPG
    starters and bendix.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 68
I have seen a few threads like this and if you search about the ATP TS2 you will find a few more posts of people having similar issues. Unfortunately you will find that they tell you to send it back and get the reflash, and I know of two who have done this and were told they had the most recent flash. So....what is the real issue? I've not been involved intimately with the install of either of these ignitions, but find it odd that people keep having the same issue and the company doesn't seem to think there is an issue. At least not from what I've seen/heard. I've personally seen/installed the bendix and flywheel on one ski and if it is not a programming issue then logic would lead me to believe it's a machining issue with the ring gear. Regardless, there appears to be a real issue.

Before anyone asks, the tune is very mild and has low initial timing at startup.

In my friend's case it cost him real money to send the ignition across the pond, and then they had to pay to have it sent back, only to be told that it was fine. Oh, and they sat on it for weeks before returning....in fact I'm not even sure it's been returned.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the issue more, but I hope others will chime in if they are having similar issues. Based on my admittedly limited secondhand experience with ATP's customer service, I'm not impressed.

I have seen a few threads like this and if you search about the ATP TS2 you will find a few more posts of people having similar issues. Unfortunately you will find that they tell you to send it back and get the reflash, and I know of two who have done this and were told they had the most recent flash. So....what is the real issue? I've not been involved intimately with the install of either of these ignitions, but find it odd that people keep having the same issue and the company doesn't seem to think there is an issue. At least not from what I've seen/heard. I've personally seen/installed the bendix and flywheel on one ski and if it is not a programming issue then logic would lead me to believe it's a machining issue with the ring gear. Regardless, there appears to be a real issue.

Before anyone asks, the tune is very mild and has low initial timing at startup.

In my friend's case it cost him real money to send the ignition across the pond, and then they had to pay to have it sent back, only to be told that it was fine. Oh, and they sat on it for weeks before returning....in fact I'm not even sure it's been returned.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the issue more, but I hope others will chime in if they are having similar issues. Based on my admittedly limited secondhand experience with ATP's customer service, I'm not impressed.

I was getting ready to purchase an ignition from ATP. I was debating between a ts2 or epic because I was not sure whether I wanted TL. While I was in this process of debating this user started having this issue so I decided to wait and see how it was resolved before I made my final decision. After witnessing the lack of customer service (and lack of concern about their product) I am not sure that I even want to deal with ATP.

It's really a shame because besides the issues with the ts2 that have seen I have been really impressed with the atp products. I understand that stuff happens and sometimes products have defects, especially when you are talking about custom parts. The issues need to addressed and fixed instead of leaving the customer out to dry with a product that is not up to par.

TS2 worked fine for about 6 months, so frustrating for the trouble now.
ATP came back today suggesting a coil breaking down, interfering with CDI. Found switch was bad when on Curve B(Switch closed) but it still backfired on Curve A(Switch open)
Trying another coil and checking earths tomorrow.

Definitely the TS2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Changed the Ignition Coil, Starter Solenoid, Starter, Bendix and Battery Cables. Removed the Rotary Switch.
Started fine twice on the trailer, took it to the water and it backfired - starter stripped!!!

Definitely the TS2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Changed the Ignition Coil, Starter Solenoid, Starter, Bendix and Battery Cables. Removed the Rotary Switch.
Started fine twice on the trailer, took it to the water and it backfired - starter stripped!!!

Have you contacted ATP about this yet?

Top Bottom