Other Best (gasp!) SIT DOWN????

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
As far as the hull material:
I work on lots of composite repair on rental sitdowns here in Havasu and the only good thing about a Seadoo is the fact that it is gel coat and fiberglass, not SMC! SMC splinters and gets pulverized, whereas the Seadoo hull can take a big hit without falling apart or disintegrating. Im always fixing the Yamaha VXR/XL70's and the Seadoo's might get a couple hairline cracks or a chip in the gel coat when they get hit or bumped.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Preach Yamaha reliability all you want but, my in experience working on couches, I rebuild Yamaha engines at least at a two to one ratio over Seadoo engines, the base model GTX 4tec Seadoo 155hp is as good as it gets for reliability and fuel mileage, yes its a three cylinder engine which was from the ground up made for use in the watercraft and snowmobiles,the Yamaha and Kawi engines are converted motorcycle engines and still turn 10,000 rpm, they have incorporated a gear reduction(extra parts that make a lot of noise and do go out)the Seadoo engine is 1500cc's and turns 7000, in the long run there is no doubt in my mind which one will last longer. So choose to believe biased opinions of Superjet owners or someone who works on couches every day , its your choice and your money.

Last edited:
The best couch I have ever rode is a GPR conversion. Take a GPR1200 and slap a Seadoo 4 tech engine in there. Keep everything bone stock and you will be doing 85mph.

Peter123

C-Note
I have 2 1994 Kawasaki 750 STS's that I have with a really nice galvanized trailer. Total investment $2000. Single carb on a reliable engine with plenty of cheap replacement parts. Since the trailer is worth nearly $1000, I have $500 in each ski. I've had them for 5 years now, and the only thing I've done is rebuilt the carbs. ($59 for OEM carb kit and $10 worth of beer to have Smoofer look over my back the first time I did a rebuild). Now, I have a loose pump shoe which I will fix real soon; however, since I have 2, I have essentially twice the reliablity. No, they are not fast skis, topping out at 43 mph. They are skis to drop in the lake and cruise to the restaurant for a beer. They are skis to let friends and families hop on and not have to worry. These are the ski's I took 85 miles to go have lunch on. However, if you want to be able to go in a straight line really really fast or do lot's of donuts in front of the boat ramp, these skis might not be for you.

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Preach Yamaha reliability all you want but, my in experience working on couches, I rebuild Yamaha engines at least at a two to one ratio over Seadoo engines, the base model GTX 4tec Seadoo 155hp is as good as it gets for reliability and fuel mileage, yes its a three cylinder engine which was from the ground up made for use in the watercraft and snowmobiles,the Yamaha and Kawi engines are converted motorcycle engines and still turn 10,000 rpm, they have incorporated a gear reduction(extra parts that make a lot of noise and do go out)the Seadoo engine is 1500cc's and turns 7000, in the long run there is no doubt in my mind which one will last longer. So choose to believe biased opinions of Superjet owners or someone who works on couches every day , its your choice and your money.

Thats a real good point.
I always hated that reduction gear box, thought it was real stupid. Those gears sound like there ready to explode even when their brand new! Yamaha is not the holy grail for all watercraft. Anybody ever remember when Yamaha tried to make a outboard stern drive in the early 90's? Fail..... it was the biggest piece of shizz and they only made it for 2 years then quit.
I see the VXR engines blowing up and getting rebuilt more that the GTX rentals with the 4-tecs'.
Its almost as if the Seadoo GTX base model with the 4-tec is a win win with it s motor and hull.

WFO Speedracer

A lifetime ban is like a lifetime warranty !
Thats a real good point.
I always hated that reduction gear box, thought it was real stupid. Those gears sound like there ready to explode even when their brand new! Yamaha is not the holy grail for all watercraft. Anybody ever remember when Yamaha tried to make a outboard stern drive in the early 90's? Fail..... it was the biggest piece of shizz and they only made it for 2 years then quit.
I see the VXR engines blowing up and getting rebuilt more that the GTX rentals with the 4-tecs'.
Its almost as if the Seadoo GTX base model with the 4-tec is a win win with it s motor and hull.

The first FX I ever cranked up I shut off immediately, I seriously thought something was about to come unwound in there, it sounded like Muncie rock crusher with no oil in in, then I took it out and water tested it, biggest pig of a sitdown I have ever ridden, its slow, heavy , doesn't handle worth a crap and should have never been made. Right now in my shop I have a dead 2003 1200r in a Yamaha Exciter jet boat,toasted rear cylinder, cracked cases, dead crank ,two Yamaha 1200 NPV engines with toasted rear cylinders, one with a busted case, two 701's with dead rear cylinders, a 2003 GP 800 with a dead engine,a 96 Waveraider with a window in the block where the starter used to bolt up at, a 96 Waveventure 1100 with a dead rear cylinder. As far as Seadoo's I have two 1996 GTX's with dead engines, one is an SBT engine that has been sunk at least ten times, the other was run out of oil.
I am just telling you how it is from my perspective, draw your own conclusions.

Yami-Rider

TigerCraft FV-PRO
Thats right... It is his sho that has the 1000cc.

No the SHO has a 1.8L or 1812cc..Now the FX has the MR1 motor in it with 1000cc...Its what my mom rides..

If i were to buy one for reliability I would get a NON-turbo or supercharged Yamaha Honda Kawasaki or seadoo in that order.

Anybody remember when seadoo tried to put breaks on a ski!! that was a classic fail too.. All of these companies have something that didnt work out. Especially back in the 90's, They were trying all kinds of crazy stuff.

Matt_E

steals hub caps from cars
Site Supporter
Do the VX110's also have a reduction box?
I think that's what the local rental guy bought, plus an HO or something like that.
I think he likes them precisely because they are slow pigs and customers don't get themselves into trouble. :lmao:
He also got a pretty good deal on them. I think one season isn't enough to determine reliability.
And come to think of it, he does have one of them down with some sensor problem.
I've worked on only a few 4-strokes so far, and the only MAJOR problem I've seen was on a Seadoo GTI 155. It threw a rod. Who knows what happened there.

Ghetto Jet

I'm on a boat
The only sit down I have really ever used is my Fathers RXP-X....... Im not going to lie though, the RXP-X is a ton of fun on a bouy course. Its pretty darn quick too.

I will say that we have been using it for two years now with no problems--- My father uses it to go to the dock and get ice and im borrowing it as a dedicated racer.

Last edited:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
Anybody remember when seadoo tried to put breaks on a ski!! that was a classic fail too.. All of these companies have something that didnt work out. Especially back in the 90's, They were trying all kinds of crazy stuff.

I think you're talking about OPAS (Off-Power Assisted Steering). That was mainly to give you some steering after the throttle was cut.

I don't know if they still use that?

SUPERJET-113

GASKETS FOR CHAMP BRAP!
Site Supporter
Ya, they have that new brake thing called IBR(Intelligent brake/reverse system). Really good for the idiots on couches that are out of control.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt_E

Site Supporter
LOL. I hadn't heard of that.
I guess it's a good thing for safety since the operators cannot possibly be asked to behave in a safe manner.

NVJAY775

My home away from home.
I was going to pick up a new 15f for the wife and toy tower, but got a smokin deal on an 08 ultra 250x. Love it! But it's kind of high maintenance and needed a couple tiny mods. Eats fuel, tons of storage, fun and fast, frequent oil changes.

Shonuff

I've got the glow
Site Supporter
Do they have a lever that keeps the 14 year old girl in front of you from suddenly doing a 180?

Top Bottom